AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,

Paradigm 5se MKll used pair approx. 15yrs old , $160 canadian dollars

Would this be a good deal for these speakers or do you think I should buy something that is more up to date in technology ? I would be using them for main fronts .

I was also thinking about buying a brand new pair of paradigm mini monitors instead of the 5se . Any advice as to which would sound better ?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody have any advice ?

If I want to buy the Paradigm 5se , I have untill tomorow at the latest to decide . If not , the seller will sell them to someone else .

Thanks .

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Solid speakers, parts are readily available from Paradigm.

Stands included? Sounds like a good deal if they are....providing the cabinets and drivers are in decent condition.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 /forum/post/15468260

Solid speakers, parts are readily available from Paradigm.

Stands included? Sounds like a good deal if they are....providing the cabinets and drivers are in decent condition.

I have not went to look at the 5se yet . Stands are included . The seller said they are in good shape . The only problem he said is that the paradigm emblem from one of the grills is missing .

What do you think about the mini monitors ? Would there be an improvement with the mini over the 5se , since the monitors are much newer ? .

Thanks

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I started out with a pair of those back in the mid-90s, they were great speakers. I think they would be awesome HT speakers now. Very fast sounding and dynamic. $160 doesn't seem too bad, maybe you can talk him down a little.

What do you have now?

edit: Thats only $135 US, sounds good to me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/15477329

I started out with a pair of those back in the mid-90s, they were great speakers. I think they would be awesome HT speakers now. Very fast sounding and dynamic. $160 doesn't seem too bad, maybe you can talk him down a little.

What do you have now?

edit: Thats only $135 US, sounds good to me.

I have bose 301 series 3 . Ya I know ! there Bose , I know what everybody thinks about that company . I got them free a long time ago . I have jbl centre and rears .

Should I go and listen to those 5se mkll or would I be better off getting the mini monitors or something else ?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to listen to the Paradigm 5se mkll on Thursday .

Maybe I will go and listen to a new pair of mini monitors before I listen to the 5se , so I can compare and see which one sounds better .

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. /forum/post/15481612

I am going to listen to the Paradigm 5se mkll on Thursday .

Maybe I will go and listen to a new pair of mini monitors before I listen to the 5se , so I can compare and see which one sounds better .

That is the best thing you can do. I have owned several sets of Paradigms and like them, but you shouldn't limit yourself just to them. Try some other brands too, I did but wound up with 'em anyway.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
At one time I owned a system made up of 5 SE MK3s, 3 SE MK3s, and Mini Mk2s. For the money (I think I got everything used for around $500) it was one of the best systems I've ever put together. These are the predecessor to the Monitor line and were much smoother and more neutral than the original Monitors that replaced them. I would, however, make note of the condition of the woofer surrounds... if they are deteriorating or have holes they may need to be replaced. $160cad is a great deal if they don't require any repair.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/15495838

At one time I owned a system made up of 5 SE MK3s, 3 SE MK3s, and Mini Mk2s. For the money (I think I got everything used for around $500) it was one of the best systems I've ever put together. These are the predecessor to the Monitor line and were much smoother and more neutral than the original Monitors that replaced them. I would, however, make note of the condition of the woofer surrounds... if they are deteriorating or have holes they may need to be replaced. $160cad is a great deal if they don't require any repair.

Hi Stephen ,

Thanks for your advice .

I am going this evening to listen to them . I dont know anything about speakers , as to what to look for when buying used . So I guess the best thing to do is just look at the woofer (8 inch I believe) and see if I can see if there is any physical damage , holes ? . What is woofer surrounds ?

I will crank them up a bit to see if I hear anything out of the ordinary .

I am also going to see how the condition of the cabinets are . Well for the age , I cant see them being perfect . That would be nice if they were .

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The surround is what connects the cone (solid, clear translucent on these i think) to the frame. It's made of either rubber or foam, I think black rubber with some shine to it on these. Make sure there are no holes and that does not appear to be deteriorating (more common on foam surrounds). As for the cabinets, check for cracks/holes in the wood, banged up corners, peeling veneer/laminate, bent/broken binding posts, or other cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. /forum/post/15476193

I cant decide yet !

Help ?

Go listen to them. If they sound OK you really can't go too far wrong,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts