AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have Def Tech BP 2002's. I have a dual Stryke HE15 sub with a Crown K2 amp that handles everything below 60hz. I've read a couple reviews that rave about the Paradigm Active 40's. Both reviews come to the same conclusion. These speakers are misunderstood jewels in the speaker world. They both say that having amps specifically built at line level for specific drivers is a better way of going. They say these speakers easily compare to speakers costing 2-4,000/pair and that's not including the amps you still need. Each speaker in essence has it's own monoblock amp. I'm thinking of upgrading from the 2002's to the Active 40's in the front and 3 rears. What do you think. Thanks.

Ken

·
Banned
806 Posts
Is there anything about the 2002's which you do not find satisfying?

If you have the room, consider getting some 2000TL's up front, and then use the 2002's in the rear. The 2000TL's are wonderful, wonderful speakers.

I have seen several accounts where the 2000TL's have been compared favorably to the Nautilus 802's (8k/pair). Look at:

http://forums.consumerreview.com/crf...ouJ^[email protected]

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_7146.shtml

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_8728.shtml

Of course, a setup of all Active Paradigms would probably be great as well. But comparing Def Tech to Paradigm is apples to oranges in a sense, because you are comparing bipolars to direct radiators.

Still, IMHO either way you can't lose!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replies.

I have this need to upgrade. I think the sub in Def Techs are a waste. My home theater came alive when I got a Paradigm Servo 15. Don't let anyone tell you built in subs replace a dedicated stand alone sub. There is no comparison. I do listen to H.T. 80/20 compared to music. That's why I like the Def Techs. With my dual Stryke HE15 sub/Crown K2 amp, I feel the sub in the Def Techs are not needed. Are the Active 40's going to give me a more refined accurate sound for H.T. and SACD/DVD Audio. I was planning on using 3 Active 40's for the rears, two in the front along with an Active CC.

I now have separates. An ATI 1505 and Sony TA-E9000ES ver 2.1. I can sell these to a friend for 2,000 plus 2500 more for the BP 2000's, CLR 2000 and BP2X and Paradigm Servo 15. All in new shape. I was then going to buy either the new Anthem AVM 20, Cinepro's new pre/pro, or the Tag's AVR 32.

Since I like the Bipolar sound for H.T. maybe I should look at Von Schweikert speakers. I hear they are awesome.

What's a guy to do. I just want to spend some money.

Ken

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote:
What's a guy to do. I just want to spend some money.
Well here, lemme help you!:)

The set-up you're planning should sound awesome especially if you chose the Tag. It's one well-engineered piece and coupled with the Actives would make for a very streamlined system. I haven't heard the others but I'm sure they sound very good also.

IMO, everthing you've read about the Actives are totally true. They are absolutely one of the best values in high-end audio today. I have an Active set-up with a DC-2 in front and the sound placement and accuracy is nothing short of stunning! The only system I'd rather have(slightly) would be seven Aerial LR5's and TWO Theta Dreadnaughts with the front 3 bi-amped with an electronic cross-over and a MC-12 in front. Now obviously that's a lot of cake but hey in the meantime....well what can I say other than you have to hear them youself? Good luck.

·
Registered
845 Posts
A quick question for people with active spearkes. Do the built-in amplifiers limit SPLs?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote:
A quick question for people with active spearkes. Do the built-in amplifiers limit SPLs?
I'm not sure I understand because "loudness" is a personal preference but the amps in the Active/40's are specifically designed for their own drivers which makes for a very efficient use of power. But if your question is: "Do they play loud without distortion?", the answer is yes. Each speak has a LED indicator on the front that turns red at clipping but I have turn it up to very uncomfortable levels to see it and I play material pretty loud as is. Paradigm tech-support told me through e-mail that the LED's light up long before amp stress and audible distortion so don't worry if it blinks briefly. My ears verify this, no harsh and strident sound when I push it up to red but that's really too loud anyway. Go have a listen, you'll see!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.