AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Paradigm Active line has been discontinued. The resources vs. profit equation just didn't work out. Four mono blocks a pair of electronic crossovers and speakers for $2000 along with the fact that audiophiles don't buy active speakers and non audiophiles don't spend $2000 on speakers. They were great speakers, it is too bad more audiophiles did not think of them as worthy for consideration. I got my Active 40's just in time, thank god :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad you like them. I am a big fan of the Paradigm line, especially the Studio Ref 100s, but my auditions of the actives left me cold. No one was more surprised than I; they were driven by very good front-end electronics: Arcam CD, Adcom, and a couple other configurations. Hmmmmm? Kinda strange that they sounded so ordinary. Maybe I had the aural equivalent to a bad hair day?

I think you're right, though, in how they are perceived by the targeted market. My suspicion is that Bryston/PMC will have a similar problem with their offerings, no matter how good they may be.

Good luck with them. Paradigm is a great value.

You like them and that's all that counts.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't even know if this is worth responding to but this was posted on another site a month ago and was refuted by Brian Florian who got an official response from Mark Aling. Trax, where did you get this info from? It would be ashame if it were the case because I think the Active line represents one of the utmost highest values in audio today. It would take an enormous influx of cash for me to achieve any kind of meaningful improvement to my DC-2/Paradigm Active set-up.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Geeze, this rumor simply will not die..

They have not been discontinued, the Actives are some of Paradigm's biggest sellers with the best margins of all their speakers.

This rumor started about 3-4 weeks back, and refuses to die..

-- Cain

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine from a friend that lives next to the Canadian border since it is much cheaper in Canada due to the exchange rate. I actually got the rosenut veneer which lists for $2300 US for $1480. He sells 2 to 3 speakers a week and was told he can no longer get the active line because it has been discontinued. I was going to grab an active center channel, guess I will have to look around in the used market to find one now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reply to my e-mail to Paradigm:

Quote:
Hi Graeme

I am not aware of a pending announcement of this nature.

The Active speakers are being produced and, although some finishes may be

back-ordered, are available.

Thanks for your interest in Paradigm speakers.

Sincerely,

Gary Takeda

Paradigm Technical Support

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.