AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Skipping the long story about how I am forced to consider this option (hint: wife), I am looking for advice on surround speaker placement.

I have Studio 20s v3 and a center, I think 470, for the fronts.

For surrounds...

a)

I can either use regular speakers (Paradigm Atoms in my case); placed near the floor but facing up (will have to build stands for them).

b)

get ADPs and put them on the floor or short stands, with the left surround one's null facing the back of the couch and the right one's facing my right shoulder.

c)

get ADPs and put them on the floor with the nulls facing the ceiling.

I realize none of these options is very good but am interested in feedback on them. Does anyone else out there put ADPs or other di/bi poles below the listening position?

· Registered
859 Posts
so whatever happens, you can only put the surrounds on the floor??

imo, you're better off not having any surrounds at all, if that is the case.

or another option i can think of.. is.. get another pair of ceiling mountable speakers.

· Registered
259 Posts
JonathanOh, it isnt that bad!

if you can point the speakers up a bit, you're ok for go.

the adp's are a bit heavy, so mounting them at an angle calls for a sturdy stand. also, as they shoot sideways, and call for a wall to bounce off, direct speakers might work easier.

i'd try the atoms for a while and then decide further.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I appreciate you comments.

I definitely need to train the wife up some more :). I am going to use the stonehenge analogy. I will tell her it is like traveling to England.

I am going to try the Atoms (which I already have). Originally, they were to go on the side walls in a near perfect placement. Now my wife is complaining about the idea (after I special ordered the Atoms in white, bought the wall mounts and the in-wall speaker wire; materials = $215, aggrevation = priceless).

I actually have my old pair of surrounds on the floor, firing up (rear ported yes on their backs anyway) which I have used since I was married (Warren_G, I need your help on wife training) and I have never been satisfied with the placement. It is definitely better than nothing and actually much better with my recent upgrade to the Studios in front--the sound stage of the studios is much deeper than my old set).

I will experiment with the Atoms slightly elevated off the floor, firing up. I will see if the local Paradigm floor will loan me some ADPs to experiment with as well. Thanks again!

· Registered
3,440 Posts
You could try them firing straight up.

But be careful, in that I used to have simple floorstanders in the back, but I didn't like the sound very much because they were firing into the *back* of the sofa/futon.

· Registered
832 Posts
I have 2 pair of ADP 370s and I can't imagine how you could use them on the floor. you can't direct them up, because if one set of drivers were to face up, the other would face down. If you just tilt them up as they would be on the wall, that wouldn't really throw any sound up, either.

If you have to fire up, I think you have to go with a monopole (direct radiator).

Eric.

· Banned
9,999 Posts
If you can't train your wife, divorce her and find a more easily-trained women. Surround speakers were not meant to be placed on the floor unless you watch movies in sleep-mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.