AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I currently have a CC370 v2 and pair of Atoms v2 as my front speakers. I am currently using Def Tech Promonitor 800s as my rears (on loan from my brother). I could potentially buy the Promonitor 800s (for $170) or I could buy a new pair of Atoms (whatever the latest version is as fronts and move the v2 Atoms to the rear assuming the newer version is better than my v2 speakers.

My questions are:

1. Would you keep the Promonitors for $170 or purchase new Atoms?

2. Will the latest version Atom work as well well as my Atom v2 speakers with the CC370 v2 that I already have?

3. Should I not be concerned about it because the difference is slight for HT and the new Atom is a better speaker overall?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
584 Posts
Bill,

one thing you might do is look for a used pair of Atoms from version 4 or lower: they will match your existing speakers as the changes from 2 to 4 were more cosmetic than sonic. The latest Atoms are a fairly significant redesign and will probably sound quite different: I don't know if they'd match your center channel very well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would appreciate additional comments, especially from anyone who has heard both the newer Atoms and older Atoms.

Also, should I just keep the Promonitors or go with another set of Atoms for the rear?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamJay /forum/post/19620294

I would appreciate additional comments, especially from anyone who has heard both the newer Atoms and older Atoms.

Also, should I just keep the Promonitors or go with another set of Atoms for the rear?

Thanks again.

I got some Titans about 7year ago when version two was being replaced with version 3. Which I soon traded up to the Focus version 3. I've seen the new Atoms sound bigger than my Titans did at the time. I really like the new Atom monitors and Titan monitors a lot...especially the little Titan.

As for what you should get....can you bring a set home from your local retailer to try out?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19620507

I don't understand -- you physically have BOTH the Atoms and the DT's in your room at the same time, and you are asking US which sounds better?

Use your ears!!

I think he's asking about the newer ones (which he doesn't have and do sound different). At least I think this is the case.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
right but they aren't going to be dramatically different. You should still be able to make a judgment about whether you prefer the "Paradigm sound" or the "Def Tech sound", and then build your system in that direction.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Some v2 v3 or v4 Mini monitors would match up with your cc370 better than new atoms or what you have now. You could find some used for less than a new set of atoms. If you get a new set of atoms then you would probably want a new center channel also. The new atoms will sound different than the cc370. I had some v6 mini monitors with v4 cc370 and they didn't balance out well at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.