AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, I'm hoping you all can help me out here. I had my mind made up but lately have been "thinking" and sadly.....reading this forum! :D

Here's my dillema. I am currently constructing my home theater and I've purchased everything except the speakers. The amp and pre-amp will be Anthem PVA7 / AVP20, and the setup will be 7.1. But I don't claim to be a speaker guru. So I'll see what you all have to suggest. Here are the three speakers setups that I was considering:

- Paradigm Reference Series (Studio 100's, CC, 4-ADPs)

- B&W 603 S4 series (LCR 600 S3)

- M&K S-150 THX Ultra series

What I don't know is -- are these speakers even in the same "category" or is one way above the other, etc.? Are some overkill for the room that I'm setting up in (see details below)?

I've been a Paradigm fan for many years and can't believe I'm even considering another brand, but I figured, I'd check into it and these 3 sets are what has my attention. I'm bad when it comes to choice, so please don't offer yet another option! ;-) Well, unless you think I'm just making some God-awful mistake.

My room will be a dedicated light-contolled room and will be 16x22 if that helps at all. My projector is on order - the DWIN TV2. Screen will be a 110" Firehawk.

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I myself would love to have a B&W DM604-S3 front/rears, with LCR600 S3's for front and rear centers....so I would recommend that.

I haven't heard the specific model of Paradigm, but I liked B&W better over the ones I did hear.

M&K I can't comment on since I haven't heard those.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have the M&K 150 7.1 system and I think it is great. The biggest advantage it has over anything close to this price is its wide dynamic range and sense of realism. Some people complain about music listening but I think it is outstanding there also, just very revealing of bad recordings. Most people agree the theatre performance is stunning.

Tim

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'll second the vote on the M&K S-150 system. I'm currently running five S-150's, with the SS-150 Tripoles at the sides, in a Lexicon based 7.1 system that sounds absolutely phenominal. Like above, this system sounds fantastic on both movies and music - especially DTS mastered discs on both DVD and cd music. Utilizing Lexicon's great music modes - Panorama, Music Logic, etc. - really makes these speakers shine. Plus, having five of the same speakers in the key positions really adds to a seamless soundstage.

It's worth it to give this system a listen before purchasing.

Regards.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I 3rd the M&K referral!!! The B&W's are "good" but IMHO there are lots of better speakers in that price range. Now for Paradigm vs. M&K is a good one. The packages you have mentioned are COMPLETELY different though.

The Studio 100's vs S-150's are not fair comparisons. The 100's are full range speakers and tough to compare to monitors. Also the Anthem amp you are thinking of using will not be enough for the Studio 100's. They REALLY like lots of power! For H.T. what surround fields do you anticipate using? Design the rear of the room around the desired field (might need di/bipole sides and direct rears etc...). For Paradigms, personally, I would use Studio 40 mains, CC center, ADP sides, and Studio 40's rears with a pair of PW2200 subs. I think this would be a much more balanced system.

As for the M&K's. I just plain love them so the S-150 fronts and SS150 surrounds would be great!!! Either setup you won't lose!

Mike

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
B&Ws aren't close to "good" till the Nautilus series. Paradigms are bright as can be, and don't have the build quality/utility of the M&Ks.

Go with M&K...I am getting a set by end of year too. I am curious to hear of an update to the 150s, as they have been available for years now.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Also, with M&K you won't have to compromise on the center as the others, and they will be much more easy to integrate as they are much more identical.

Identical LCR is so unbelievable when done right...

·
Registered
845 Posts
I would also recommend M&K. They will reveal the flaws of the source if any.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Another option, albeit somewhat more expensive, are Triads. I am using Triad InRoom Golds, two pairs of Triad OnWall Gold Surrounds, and a Triad Platinum PowerSub, and IMO it smokes the M&K S150s system. The M&Ks are also excellent and may be a better value unless you can dig up used Triads (this is what I did). The main problem with the Triads is that it is difficult for most individuals to find a system that they can listen to before making a decision.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I also have the M&K 150's and love them. I haven't heard them together with paradigm's and B&W's but would choose B&W over paradigm (have listened to them both in the same showroom) and M&K over both (for HT)

For a primarily HT based system, I believe the M&K's are one of the best.

I have also listened to the Triad platinums quite a bit. They are sweet sounding but much more $$$. I haven't heard them side by side with the M&K's so not sure how they "really" compare to each other for HT but I'd be happy with either.

Let's see, one vote for B&W, one for Triad and 7 for M&K. hummmm... ;)

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
OK, you M&K users have me outnumbered. That certainly is no surprise given that M&K speakers are widely available and Triads are not. I am not suggesting that M&Ks are not good speakers, they are, only that I prefer Triads. The key is that buying speakers is very subjective. You should only purchase speakers after you have heard them for yourself. I do feel that Triads should be on the potential buy lists of anybody who is considering speakers in their price range.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
B&Ws aren't close to "good" till the Nautilus series. Paradigms are bright as can be, and don't have the build quality/utility of the M&Ks.
I feel that Paradigm's Monitor line is a bit bright but I find the Studio series to be very neutral (and well built). I'd compare B&W's CDM series with Paradigm studios. Like the other poster, I prefer the sound of Studio 40s over the 100s (assuming you're getting a good subwoofer). For a HT only application, the M&K's are hard to beat (IMO). For a 2ch music system I would look elsewhere...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've listened to all three and decided to purchase the M&K's. Absolutely breathtaking for HT and for music. You won't regret it.

Earl

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rondo1--

I, too, am in the market for new speakers to replace a pair of aging Allison:Ones in the front and Allison MS200s for center and surrounds. (This in spite of the fact that Allison has re-emerged, with the new owner engaging Roy Allison as a consultant and re-lauching the Allison:Ones at $6000 per pair!!!! I think I paid $1200 for the pair in 1976.)

I had a self-imposed budget of "around" $3000 for front L/C/R and two surrounds. I have a Velodyne sub that does fine, and I was going to use two of my existing Allison MS200s for the rear 6th and 7th channel.

I'm using my brand new Outlaw 950 (one of the silent, satisfied people who LOVE the unit!), with all-NAD amps (2400THX for L/R front, and two NAD 906's for center and surrounds).

I had the B&W DM604 S3 on my list for fronts, with the DM600 and LCR600 for rears/center. I also wanted to evaluate:

-Dynaudio Audience 72, 122c and 42

-Monitor Audio Silver 8i/9i, 10i/12i, Surround

-B&W CDM 7NT, CNT, SNT (these were $800 more than the budget...)

-M&K LCR-750 THX, Center-750, Surround-55

I originally had the Divas on the list, but decided that of ALL the HT equipment I have, I am most particular about speakers and don't think I could ever buy something without listening to it in a showroom first....

Anyway, I've listened now to the B&W 604s, Dynaudio Audience 72s and Monitor Audio 8is. So far, the Dyaudio Audience 72 is the clear winner of those three. I found the B&W 600 series to have very muddy bass (accurate bass is a must for me) with an overall sound that was not impressive. The Monitor Audios were nice, but seemed a bit shrill.

The Audience 72s were *very* nice. Good, accurate, deep bass, not muddy. The mids and highs were very warm and accurate. Great imaging and projected a better soundstage than either the B&W or the Monitor Audio.

I'm still going to check out the M&K and B&W CDM series, but so far the Dynaudio Audience line gets my vote. I just wish they were real wood....but if you believe their literature, the put the money into the drivers, crossovers and cabinet construction...not hand-rubbed real wood.

Sigh....you can't get it all for ~$3000.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.