AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been able to audition both of these speaker sets or know enough of the tech stuff to help me decide between the two? I have heard the Paradigms at a local store but in a room disimilar to mine; I have not heard the Velodynes because I don't know of any place that sells them around here (not many stores near me other than big box). I want to keep a modest budget and try for the "best" deal around.

1) If I get the Velos and a 10" JBL sub that a friend has then I will have $275 invested and be able to swing the Denon 987 (2807) or Yamaha RSV 2600. I'm not really looking to do 7.1 or video switching through the receiver at the moment but do not want to completely rule it out for later on.

2) If I get the Paradigms ($799) and something like an Onkyo 504 or 604 I will still a good setup, right?

Too many option too confusing!!

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
I dont like option 1. you're going to spend 3x-4x as much for your receiver compared to your speakers? It should be the other way around. doesnt matter how good your receiver is, if you dont like the sound coming out of your speakers nothing will make it better. not even a 1k receiver. the speakers will make or break your system.

option 2 is better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! That was my gut feeling as well but having never heard the Velodynes and they apparently originally cost $699 + the JBL sub at $250+ then we would be comparing a $799 Paradigm setup to a ~$1000 setup. Of course, I do not know if the Velodynes ever really sold for that amount or did they have a lower list price ... the Paradigms sell for MSRP and that is it (according to my dealer). I have no info on the JBL sub except that the person that this is coming from usually buys good stuff so unless this was really old it is probably a decent model and not a crappy one ... not to mention well cared for.

So in this case if the speaker sets were ~ equivalent would I still be better off not spending too much on a receiver (ie: too much receiver for the quality of speaker that I am buying)?

I am still fighting the idea of doing some sort of video switching to get an hdmi or component cable run directly above my HT setup to my bedroom. I am figuring that I will have to use one the mid priced (200+) switches from Audio Authority, etc. to accomplish that. The bedroom will not have any "system" just a TV accepting either a component or hdmi cable carrying the HD dvr feed or dvd feed. Total length is approximately 15 feet. Any ideas here would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well for what its worth, in case any are interested ... I ended up buying the Paradigms and while not being able to decide on a receiver that was perfect for me, I ordered the Onkyo 504 refurb from their site. At $150 shipped that is too hard to pass up, and it allows me to wait until the HDMI 1.3, HD dvd/BluRay dust to settle and see where my upgrade path leads later on. Because I spent less on the receiver, I "treated" my wife to a 32" LCD for our bedroom because the AStar 32" for $470 is too good to pass up! My friend has one and it looks great. Now I need to decide what to buy to run hdmi or component to both my downstairs tv and the new bedroom one ... some sort of distribution amp, but they vary greatly in price and reviews.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.