AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all...I'm hoping you can help me out.

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V663 and Paradigm Cinema 110 over the holidays. Last weekend, my wife and I were watching a movie and noticed some static/distortion coming from the left surround speaker. I do not notice the same static/distortion from the right surround. So, to diagnose the issue, I switched the speaker wires from the back of the AVR to see if it was an AVR channel issue or speaker issue. With the switch, right surround wires feeding the left surround speaker, the static/dstortion was still happening from the left speaker. So, I've determined it to be a speaker issue rather than an AVR channel issue. I've called the place where I got them and they are willing to replace it, thankfully.

When I initially set up the system and ran the YPAO, the AVR set my speaker size as small and the cross over at 80Hz. It was set up like this for a few days and then I changed the crossover to 100Hz after reading up on some threads about speakers and crossovers. I found a review and recommended that the crossover be set to 100Hz.

Now, would having the inital set up at 80Hz caused the problem with the speaker? Or, could I have just had a lemon from the start? (I didn't notice it when we first set it up, and I didn't really sit close to the left surround when we first set it up)

In any case, what would be the ideal crossover for the surrounds?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I don't think that the crossover to 80hz would hurt your speakers at all unless you listened to them at ear-bleeding levels. More than likely it was just a lemon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I returned the speaker and had it exchanged.

I played the same scene from LOTR:Fellowship five times at different volume levels and no sign of static/distortion.

Looks like I did have a lemon to start with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts