AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to come up with some not-too-expensive 5.1 speakers, so I did a bit of hunting around and reading on this forum. The Paradigm Cinema series of speakers gets mentioned a lot. Inevitably, I ended up with more questions.

1) It's been pointed out (and I agree) that the best solution for surround sound is to not only use the same manufacturer but even the same speakers for L/C/R and the surrounds, especially when it comes to music that is meant for surround environments. Yet according to Paradigm's specifications for all of their speakers in their Cinema series, the only speaker they seem to feel qualifies as a surround speaker is their ADP. So, are there reasons why it would be a bad idea to use, say, five of their 220 speakers (since they are designated for L/C/R use)?

2) The non-sub speakers in the Cinema series only go down to around 115 Hz, presumably leaving everything below that to the subwoofer. This strikes me as potentially a bad thing since human speech frequently rides frequencies well below that. Particularly in consideration of the primary purpose of the center channel in isolating dialogue, the idea of letting the subwoofer handle a good chunk of said audio seems unappealing. Is this a valid concern? I mean, if the non-sub speakers are going to more or less fail to even produce certain frequencies at acceptable/discernable amplitudes...

3) Competition? Are there other speaker sets - especially ones which enable the option of using identical speakers for L/C/R/surrounds - that I might want to look into? The Paradigm Cinema speakers are unquestionably cheap. I wouldn't necessarily be limited to that kind of budget (but these are not going to be speakers for the primary viewing room). If there are suggestions, please mention more than simply the manufacturer. Things like recommended models, experiences, comparisons, specific reasons why they might be better than the Paradigms, etc. would be great info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i probably wont be much help but when i was looking at speakers, size mattered. i needed small and the only speakers that fit the bill was the paradigm cinemas and velodyne cht front row.

i went with the paradigm. why? i have a local store so i auditioned them and liked what i heard. For the bass thing, ive got a bic h-100 and it sounds kick ass. i have the crossover at around 110-115.

But then again, i havent calibrated my system, its for pc use.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually only have one local store which is an authorized Paradigm reseller, and they are the "by appointment" type, as it happens. That's pretty much how I expected things to turn out in this city. That's why I have little choice but to gather as many opinions and suggestions as I can.

I hadn't considered looking into the possibility of mixing speakers from one manufacturer with the subwoofer from another. I'll see what Bic has to offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My local shop carries much of the Paradigm line. I was in the shop 2 days ago and asked him about the Cinema line. He said the rep told him it was designed and built for looks opposed to sound quality. The design/looks is to provide a slim wall hugging fit with modernistic looks. Sound quality is secondary.

If you like the sound of them...after auditioning them with your favorite music cd's and movie dvd's...and the looks are what you are after as well then buy them and enjoy them to their fullest.

But if you are going after quality sound first then I suggest other models...depending on budget...Atoms for surrounds, cc170 center channel and the mini Monitor for fronts...sub of your choice. Make sure you listen to the new "version 5" line. Paradigm has done away with their Performance line which included the Atom and Titan. These speakers have been continued but moved up to the higher quality "Monitor" line which starts with the Atoms, Mini-Monitor, Titan etc.

Enjoy and keep us informed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.