AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do paradigm cinemas compare to there performance line like say titans?

The picture is my future home theater the screen will be about 132 inches or so. I don't plan on an entertainment center or book shelves so its either in walls on walls or some brackets and some titans and a cc170.

I think in walls would look best followed by the on walls and I think the brackets and titans (bookshelves) would look pretty poor. I would get the inwalls but I am concerned about the sound quality. The system I have had for the last 5 years is a cc170, titans, atoms and a pdr10. And I am quite pleased with their sound and would like to have the same or better sound quality. Can you suggest in or on walls that would have the same or better sound quality. Would the cinema 220s fit the bill?

I am not married to paradyme, but I like what I have and the price is right. I want to spend around $400 for left right and center I have a set of atoms I will probably use for the surrounds and probably get a bic 100 for the sub.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heres the pic

·
Registered
908 Posts
The manager of the local shop where I buy my speakers recently told me the Paradigm rep said the Cinema line is designed for looks/aesthetics/wall mounting first and sound second.

Were it me I would stick with traditional "box" speakers for the best sound compared to the "slim" line of speakers, especially in a room that is as open as yours looks to be.

Buy the best quality speaker you can afford even if that means buying them in groups...fronts first, etc. rather than trying to buy as much as you can at once if funds are an issue.

I would also give a critical listen to the new and revamped Monitor line of speakers. From what I see and read about as well as hearing the new Titans and cc390 Paradigm has produced a great line of speakers without breaking the bank. They are at a higher price point compared to the V.4 line but a better speaker in my opinion.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Here is a link to the new Paradigm line. Paradigms website does not have the content up for the new Monitor line.
http://www.audioemporium.com/2007catalog.pdf

·
Registered
51 Posts
FWIW, I was recently in a local store that I have purchased my Paradigm stuff from in the past. The owner stated that the new Titan Monitors sound noticably better than previous ones do (and that's saying something in my opinion!). I asked a similar question about in-walls, and he believed that I would need to move up to AMS, and that retrofitting is not ideal... not that you have that issue at present. Don't know if he was talking smack or what.

Were it not for the WAF and my 18 month old, I would likely be sticking with my current Titans. Instead, I am looking at some RBH in-walls at present, and hope I'm not dissapointed in the end. If you are looking at moving to Paradigm in-walls, I just don't think you will get what you are after for that price point.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my65ffrcobra /forum/post/0

How do paradigm cinemas compare to there performance line like say titans?

The picture is my future home theater the screen will be about 132 inches or so. I don't plan on an entertainment center or book shelves so its either in walls on walls or some brackets and some titans and a cc170.

I think in walls would look best followed by the on walls and I think the brackets and titans (bookshelves) would look pretty poor. I would get the inwalls but I am concerned about the sound quality. The system I have had for the last 5 years is a cc170, titans, atoms and a pdr10. And I am quite pleased with their sound and would like to have the same or better sound quality. Can you suggest in or on walls that would have the same or better sound quality. Would the cinema 220s fit the bill?

I am not married to paradyme, but I like what I have and the price is right. I want to spend around $400 for left right and center I have a set of atoms I will probably use for the surrounds and probably get a bic 100 for the sub.

Ummm, if you are doing a 132 inch ( I assume you are talking front projection). If so, the room will be mostly dark, so who cares about looks? You won't see them.

Either mount the Atoms on the wall next to the screen or put the speakers on stands to the left and right of the screen.

If you want Titans, what is wrong with putting them on stands?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I stopped in at the local stereo shop and that guy seemed to think the paradigm cs in wall line would sound better than the cinemas and as good as the titans. Possibly splurge for a ams center channel, that fits the budget pretty good, just hope the inwalls will sound as good. The catalog has a few speakers that aren't online yet as well. There is a ams lcs that is 23x6 inches with 4 drivers that would probably be a real nice center channel. At this point I am leaning towards the LR and surrounds in the ceilining and the center on the wall.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:

Well I stopped in at the local stereo shop and that guy seemed to think the paradigm cs in wall line would sound better than the cinemas and as good as the titans. Possibly splurge for a ams center channel, that fits the budget pretty good, just hope the inwalls will sound as good. The catalog has a few speakers that aren't online yet as well. There is a ams lcs that is 23x6 inches with 4 drivers that would probably be a real nice center channel. At this point I am leaning towards the LR and surrounds in the ceilining and the center on the wall.

I'm a bit confused... I hope you mean left and right surrounds, versus left and right main channels that you plan to go with as in-ceilings. If you plan for your mains to be mounted in-ceiling, I would strongly advise against this. In-ceilings as main channels simply don't measure up, and compared with your Titans, I can guarantee you will be disappointed regardless of which Paradigm line you chose to go with. In-ceilings for surrounds and rears are less of an issue (plan to do it myself), but some would even argue against this. If my room were differently shaped and wall mounting wasn't an issue, I would stick with wall mounts for my surrounds/rears as well.

Also, I don't know how well the CS line would timbre match with an AMS centre. I heard about the new LCR AMS as well, and while it might not fit with your budget, I'd consider going with three of these. Alternatively, if you can't convince yourself to spend that much, I'd simply go with three identical speakers in the CS line across the front. Just stick to the same line if mixing types of centre and mains. That's just my $0.02.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did mean left and right fronts, thats what the guy suggested he even suggested a ceiling mount for the center, I couldn't go that far. I am dubious about the ceiling mounts as well. Do you think cs 160s for front left, right and center would sound as good as my current titans and cc170?

btw there is a high likleyhood I will be selling this house in a year so that is part of the reason for the budget.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I ordered some paradigm in walls 3 cs160s for across the front and 2 cs60r-sm (in ceiling) The center will go in the middle 2 feet up from the floor, horizontal. The other two cs160s will mount vertical just inside of the windows , top pretty much even with the top of the windows. I also installed backing so the speakers will mount to 2x4s. Should be pretty stiff. I will let you all know in a couple of months how it turns out.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:

I did mean left and right fronts, thats what the guy suggested he even suggested a ceiling mount for the center, I couldn't go that far. I am dubious about the ceiling mounts as well. Do you think cs 160s for front left, right and center would sound as good as my current titans and cc170?

btw there is a high likleyhood I will be selling this house in a year so that is part of the reason for the budget.

I'd suggest not taking any more advice from this guy. Given your setup, I can't possibly imagine why anyone would have recommended in-ceilings across the front. I wish I could offer more advice on the comparability of the CS160 to the Titans. Truth is, I have heard the AMS in-ceilings a lot more than anything in the CS line (my brother has some AMS in his home for multi-room audio); only heard CS in store briefly some time ago. From what I can recall, I certainly don't think you will have a horrible experience with the CS160's. That may well be the way to go for the short time you will be using them.

FWIW, Paradigm has their new catalog out. Seems like they have done nothing to change their in-walls/ceilings, versus some fairly significant changes to their floor and bookshelfs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I feel alot better having the speakers across the front as well. In the recomended systems section in the new catalog they have the cs-60r-30 system which has the center left right and rears all in the ceiling. That speaker is a 6.5 inch driver in a 12 inch frame so the driver is angled at 30 degrees.

I just kind of wish Paradigm would follow triads lead and make a fully enclosed speaker that fits in the wall. Even if the speaker was bigger than the opening you could rough the whole speaker in the wall and put the trim on later. Ceilings would be very easy since you rarely have less than 12 inches behind the sheetrock.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 /forum/post/0

FWIW, I was recently in a local store that I have purchased my Paradigm stuff from in the past. The owner stated that the new Titan Monitors sound noticably better than previous ones do (and that's saying something in my opinion!).

Comparing the last version of the Titan to the new Titan Monitor is like comparing apples to oranges. The "old" Titan sold for $229 - 249. The "new" Titan Monitor will be selling for $499 and appears to have made a major leap forward in what went into them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.