AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a Paradigm DSP-3100 from a Yamaha A1030 using the multi channel inputs (coming from a PC sound card) and I've been noticing that the bass from the subwoofer does not play if the system volumn drop below a certain level. I've also verified this on a blu-ray coming in from HDMI using the Battlestar Galactica opening (when the volume is low one can clearly hear the sub dropping in and out on the low bass beats). I read a few posts around the net that suggested trying a Y adapter for the sub rather than a single RCA jack to defeat the auto on/off but this doesn't fix the issue, just raises the volume of the sub (in the DSP-3100 manual it says using a Y-adapter gets an extra 6db of gain which I saw, previously the sub cut off at -46 on my receiver but with the Y-adapter it cut off at -51.5). I'm starting to think this is an issue with the auto on/off system being stupid but as far as I can tell, them is no always on setting for the DSP-3100. Am I just missing the always on setting on the sub? If not what can I do (besides turning the volume up)? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did also just test to see if the sub would turn off with the receiver off and it does. After shutting my receiver off and waiting about 10(?) minutes I heard a slight pop and saw the little blue light go off on the sub. The blue light was always on when it was cutting in and off, it wasn't switching off and on or anything. I then turned on my receiver and started playing music off my PC and the blue light does not turn on (though the volume is at -75 on the receiver making it basically impossible to hear). I switched to using a tone generator (80hz) and proceed to turn up the receiver volumn, I do not get any sub response (no sound and the blue light is off) until I hit -41 on the receiver when the light turns on and the subs starts to play. Switching back to music (which is a little below normal volume at -41) I'm not getting any sub sound, I raise the volume to -35 on the receiver and begin to get sub sound (again the light is still on and I'm still hearing some cut outs). Its not until around -32 to -30 that the sub sounds like its always on and playing correctly, though at that point the main speakers are louder than I would like and the sub is fairly loud too. Does this help at all? To me it sounds like something is broken (but I'm no expert). I'm going to see my dealer this week to pick up two back ordered mini-monitors, should I bring in the sub or call them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies for posting on my own tread so much, but using a 80hz test tone the cut out in very noticeable. At -42 on the receiver the tone is constantly cutting in and out, playing for half a second, and its gone, and back but again I'm not seeing the light flicker at all. Raising the volume of the sub anywhere in the system (PC subwoofer gain, receiver subwoofer gain or the subwoofer level itself) fixes the problem (but the sub again cuts out if the master volume is lowered much), but clearly the issue is if the bass signal is not strong enough, the sub doesn't play it. Also of note, raising the sub level to max on the subwoofer itself and taking it back to half (the setting I'm testing at) causes the tone to play for a good few seconds before starting to cut out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully my other two speakers will be in tomorrow so I'm planning on hauling the sub down to them for them to look at it or exchange it, but at this point I'm just wondering if this is a design flaw with the auto on/off system of the DSP-3100. Anyone had the same issue or have any light to shed on this? If it is a flaw in the design, I might just return it and pick up a SVS sub, they at least have a dedicated on switch :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts