AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any opinions on the new subs from Paradigm. I am most interested in the DSP 3100.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been using a dsp-3100 since christmas, with cinema series 330s and a denon avr-4308.

Solid deep bass response from the sub, more than enough to shake the floor, and still provide a nice seamless soundstage.

i love the sub and it was a good value.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltan /forum/post/12909964

Does anybody have any opinions on the new subs from Paradigm. I am most interested in the DSP 3100.

I've been waiting for some chatter about this line for awhile.

I had until this Thursday for full price on my Paradigm PS-1000 sub towards a trade up for a better sub. I opted for the DSP-3400. I won't get it for a couple of days.

My dealer tells me to expect good things. I expect some time to break it in but I look forward to anybody's experience with the DSP series subwoofers.

I'm curious because it seems many Paradigm owners opt for other manufacturers subwoofers. I'm not unhappy with the PS-1000 but Paradigm recommends the DSP-3400 or Ultracube 12 sub with the Monitor 9.5's so I'm going for it.

The PS-1000 was my first experience with a down firing sub......

·
Registered
568 Posts
This appears to be a front firing/front ported sub. can anyone give me the pros and cons of it being front firing.

why will it not perform up to the likes of the hsu & svs in that price range ($500)?

btw. go easy. I have never owned a sub! thanks

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
These new Paradigm DSP subs perform very well,and do not need to hide from SVS or HSU (price to price).

The DSP3400 uses a 14" driver capable of moving a good bit of air and is not underported like many commercial subs. Retail is around $1000 Canadian, can be had for a fair bit less. Very good buy.

·
Registered
568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/13186981

These new Paradigm DSP subs perform very well,and do not need to hide from SVS or HSU (price to price).

The DSP3400 uses a 14" driver capable of moving a good bit of air and is not underported like many commercial subs. Retail is around $1000 Canadian, can be had for a fair bit less. Very good buy.

I was quoted ($499 for 3100) & ($699 for the 3200) But like you say, they can be had for less.

How does the 31 & 32 stack up against the hsu?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/13188137

I was quoted ($499 for 3100) & ($699 for the 3200) But like you say, they can be had for less.

How does the 31 & 32 stack up against the hsu?

The HSU VTF2 will have more deep bass output,from around 30Hz up the Paradigm new seris are major performers. The 3400 is quite impressive for a commercial sub. It is the 3400 I would be looking at,this unit goes toe to toe with larger HSU subs.

Paradigm did a great job on these lower cost units.

·
Registered
568 Posts
the 3400 is more then I want to spend ($ 500). I would have bought a hsu or a svs but they only have them in black and I really dont feel like waiting. i just dont want to be disappointed

with the 31or 3200. thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/13155565

can anyone tell me the price range for dsp series. 31, 32, &3400. ball park. thanks

Here is the pricing:

3100 $499

3200 $699

3400 $899

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/13186981

I totally agree. I've had my 3400 for three days now. It's still breaking in but now I know what people are talking about when they say 'lower, cleaner' bass. I love this sub!

It's a big move up from the PS-1000 I had. It really boosts the whole soundstage. I'm not looking back....

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/13186137

This appears to be a front firing/front ported sub. can anyone give me the pros and cons of it being front firing.

why will it not perform up to the likes of the hsu & svs in that price range ($500)?

btw. go easy. I have never owned a sub! thanks

I like the front firing DSP-3400 better than the down firing PS-1000. I felt the 1000 in the floor and it felt somewhat 'dull' in comparison to the DSP-3400. The 3400 feels like it's coming right at me and it still retain's reasonable 'thump' off the floor. We have to keep in mind that we're talking about a 10" vs. 14" cone. I'm sure that makes a difference somehow. Now I can say from experience I like the front firing better. I'm glad I chose the 3400-great bargain after trade-in. Paradigm's prices have gone up but they still retain their great value.

·
Registered
568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyf /forum/post/13200377

I like the front firing DSP-3400 better than the down firing PS-1000. I felt the 1000 in the floor and it felt somewhat 'dull' in comparison to the DSP-3400. The 3400 feels like it's coming right at me and it still retain's reasonable 'thump' off the floor. We have to keep in mind that we're talking about a 10" vs. 14" cone. I'm sure that makes a difference somehow. Now I can say from experience I like the front firing better. I'm glad I chose the 3400-great bargain after trade-in. Paradigm's prices have gone up but they still retain their great value.

what size room do you have?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and really enjoy it! I bought a DSP3200 and have had it for one week. I'm happy with it but I am considering a swap for the 3400. My dealer will give full credit on the upgrade. My room is 27x19x9 with wood floors and paneling and I'm just not getting enough kick out of the 3200. Per my dealer I've kept the gain at 50%. I've bumped it 75% on a couple of movies and it makes a difference in volume but not so much in the low end feel. I really want that in your chest crunch. Anyway, any opinions about 3200 vs 3400 would be appreciated. I can get the 3400 for a tad over $800. Cheers!

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/13200853

what size room do you have?

The room is 11' wide by 23' long but at 23' it opens up to a step-up kitchen so it's essentially a three walled room. I have berber carpeting in the room. I'm hoping for an audio calibration so I can get the most out of this arrangement.

·
Registered
635 Posts
sorry for bringing this back to life but i'm interested in how this turned out as i'm interested in the 3400 compared with the nsd12.

thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg /forum/post/15457815

sorry for bringing this back to life but i'm interested in how this turned out as i'm interested in the 3400 compared with the nsd12.

thanks.

I dont know about the nsd12 but the 3400 I am very familiar with. It puts out a lot of power and volume so if you have a large room and play loud its great especially for movies . Music wise its not great. Not as musical or tight as Paradigm ultra cube which price point your getting up to with the 3400.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the DSP-3100. Its an ok sub but it does not give me the impact im looking for for my movies. Would the DSP-3400 be a much better improvement over the DSP-3100? Or for the price of a DSP-3400 would i be better off looking at say the VTF-3 MK3, Epik Caliber, SB12-Plus? This is mostly for movies. hardly any music.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
These are the two I think I am down to (since there will no longer be a Scamp-10
).

Does anyone have experience with both?

The SVS would cost ~$100 more, would it be worth it?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
bump
(trying to decide today...)

Does anyone have opinions on these two subs (DSP3100 vs PB10-NSD)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts