AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about a Paradigm DSP 3400 for $600 Canadian? It is used and has a claimed 20hours of use on it.

I would be using it for movies in a 20,000 cubic feet open basement but the listening area is about 3000 cubic feet.

·
Premium Member
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeven001 /forum/post/16851413

What do you guys think about a Paradigm DSP 3400 for $600 Canadian? It is used and has a claimed 20hours of use on it.

I would be using it for movies in a 20,000 cubic feet open basement but the listening area is about 3000 cubic feet.

If the listening area is open to the rest of the basement a single DSP 3400 could be seriously underpowered.

Trying to fill a space like that for $600 may not get you the results you are looking for. One possibility is nearfield placement. You place the sub within 4 feet of the listening position.

What is the absolute most you can afford to spend?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can afford let's say around $1000 but that would be kind of pushing it. I'm still in college so that eats up most of my funds.

As for placement of the sub it would be about 6-8 feet away from the listening area which is my couch. And it would be placed right against a concrete wall if that helps.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
If you are in the US, I would say take a look at some ID(SVS, ED, Epik) options first. Although the DSP-3400 is a fine sub, I think you can equal or maybe even exceed it by going ID, plus the ID options would be NEW.

Your space will be hard to fill with ANY sub under 1000...

EDIT:

Sorry, just noticed you are in Canada. For 600CAD the DSP-3400 is a very good option, even lightly used. I know they can be had for ~800-900 new. For comparison, you can order a SVS PB12-NSD from Sonicboom for ~800 shipped.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. What if went the do it yourself route think I can fill the space with a $1000 DIY? I'm pretty good at building stuff.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'm no expert or even a novice for that matter, but I think 1000 will get you much more performance going the DIY route. Maybe take this question over to the DIY forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.