AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, as I was setting up my receiver after it came back from the shop, I figured I'd check for shorts and what-not by putting my trusty radioshack meter across my speaker cables and measuring the impedence.

I have a paradigm monitor setup with ADP-370s for surrounds, a cc-370 center and monitor 11's as my LR pair. I noticed the actual impedenced as as follow (roughly, I'm going by memory):

cc-370 - right under 8 ohms

adp-370s - somewhere between 5.5 and 6 ohms

monitor 11s - somewhere between 3.5 and 4 ohms.

They clearly state that they are 8 ohm compatible, so what gives? My Integra 9.1U2 clearly states to use w/ minimum 6 ohms.

Eric.

·
Registered
15 Posts
LOL, I asked the same question a couple of days ago. I was told what you are measuring is resistance, not impedance. You can't measure impedance with a multi-meter.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Quote:
They clearly state that they are 8 ohm compatible, so what gives? My Integra 9.1U2 clearly states to use w/ minimum 6 ohms.

Eric. [/b]
What your speakers are saying is they are compatable with 8ohm requirements of recievers or amps. What your receiver is saying is don't use speakers that are less than 6ohms. Reasoning is that over the frequency range the impedence of your speaker with fluctuate from 2ohm to 16+ If you start of with speakers that are too low it will put strain on your receivers amp and could cause it to go into protect mode.

Kevin

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hutz
you are measuring is resistance, not impedance. You can't measure impedance with a multi-meter.
D'OH! What an idiot I am.

Please don't tell my old prof's or they'll come and lynch me!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eameres

Eric,

Speakers have a voice coil - which is essentially an inductor. The impedance of an inductor varies with

the frequency of the signal. You just measured the DC resistance of the wire.

Additionally, the 8 ohm rating is a nominal value. Look at any speaker review in Stereophile for example. They

frequently give the impedance as a function of frequency - it varies along with the phase shift angle which they also

plot.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, at least I did successfully rule out any wiring problems, which was my original goal anyway!

Eric.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.