AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for some input, heres my current system: Three Paradigm studio 20 V5 front stage, four Paradigm Stylus 270 overhead atmos, two Paradigm ADP-590 V5 surrounds, dual Hsu MBM-12 (80-50 Hz) and dual Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (50Hz and below). Studio 20s and 590s driven with an Emotiva XPA-5, Stylus and rears driven with an Emotiva UPA 700.

I have a set of Paradigm Micro V2 that are rated down to 80Hz, perfect, but 40 watts max and Im concerned a faithfull 70 watts (not that Id achieve that, just sayin) from the UPA 700 would smoke those Micros. Considering the rest of my system (I listen at moderate levels) would you consider the micros just too small for rear channels? Would you use them?

·
Registered
695 Posts
At moderate levels I can't imagine you'd be putting enough wattage into them to fry them. If you are concerned though you could wire them as mains and run some listening tests to see how loud they can get without distorting then make your judgement call based on the results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Gary.

Apparently Paradigm technical support feels only their current p and e 65 in walls are a good match, who knew?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks for the input Gary.

Apparently Paradigm technical support feels only their current p and e 65 in walls are a good match, who knew?
Good salesmanship on their part. Only the new models are a good match?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah wasnt helpful at all. Another researcher was told by Paradigm that the Cinema 100 system was a good match and, while a 2.1 is only $300, I dont like that the satellites only go down to 125Hz. Im not interested in a midbass module in the back of the room just to get to 80Hz. So got the little micros installed today and so far so good but Ill do some serious ATMOS listening in the next few days. Until then the first calibration of the denon x3700h, my first experience with Denon and Audussey XT32, went off with some issues
....wouldnt recognize one subs manual volume adjustment prior to calibration, most all the speaker distances are wrong, ect....

But I think the micros will work just fine, if I do happen to blow them up Im not out much money...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yeah wasnt helpful at all. Another researcher was told by Paradigm that the Cinema 100 system was a good match and, while a 2.1 is only $300, I dont like that the satellites only go down to 125Hz. Im not interested in a midbass module in the back of the room just to get to 80Hz. So got the little micros installed today and so far so good but Ill do some serious ATMOS listening in the next few days. Until then the first calibration of the denon x3700h, my first experience with Denon and Audussey XT32, went off with some issues
....wouldnt recognize one subs manual volume adjustment prior to calibration, most all the speaker distances are wrong, ect....

But I think the micros will work just fine, if I do happen to blow them up Im not out much money...
They are just trying to sell speakers. I recently had a very bad experience with their service department. Won't buy their stuff again. I really wouldn't worry about the satellites only going to 125. I'll be interested though to hear about your experiences once you get into listening to some Atmos material. I have used Audyssey XT32 and it did okay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It certainly beats YPAO for immersion and overall the system does sound much better even with my small rear speakers. If anything my first time experience with XT32 has been marred by this new Denon X3700N. Loss of all video and audio (except onscreen menus) resulted in a factory reset. Luckily the XT32 app saved my two calibrations so it was just a matter of loading them back in the AVR. Plus Ive just suddenly lost audio resulting in a power cycle to get sound back. Firmware is up to date but its definitely twitchy. Xbox one is suddenly only sending bitstream PCM which means I lost gaming in ATMOS, yamaha always saw atmos and processed as atmos but this new denon takes the bitstream pcm and makes it multichannel bitstream, not ATMOS....very annoying.

I suppose all this is worth the hassle as my system has never been more enveloping and dynamic for everything else. Ive got a couple of months to decide if this Denon will be stable enough to keep, otherwise I return it and seek another XT32 receiver or processor. Either way, the yamaha 3080 will go up for sale, its time to move away from YPAO, it just cant compete with Audyssey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts