AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good set of bookshelf speakers for around $300 used. I have a good subwoofer so that will handle the base. These will be the left and right in a 5.1 system and used about 70 percent of the time for critical listening. The music should be clean and detailed. I have listened to several different brands at stores but I thought that I would ask the experts on this board for there opinions. Thanks in advance, Wade

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well, I can speak for the Paradigm Mini-monitors...they are great sounding speakers. I think they are perfect for HT use. I have mine as mains and for the money I don't think you'll find much better.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I bought some Ascend Acoustics 170s for a secondary system in my home and they quickly replaced the Paradigm Mini-Monitors in the main system. I now hear things like breathes taken, fingers moving on guitar strings, and brushes on drums that I never heard with the Mini-Monitors. Go to their web site and read all the rave reviews. They are $328 plus shipping from So Cal. Which, should be about $10 in your case. If after 30 days you don't like them just return them.

I haven't heard the NHTs and can't comment on them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For 300 used you could easily go past the NHT superones and go for the SB-2's of the super audio series.

I was only able to compare the mini-mons to the SB-1s and I preferred the NHTs slighty more. It is totally subjective though, and they both sounded great but the NHT just clicked more with me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes the SB-2's are awesome speakers, I may get a pair soon.

Haven't heard the mini-monitors but I'm not impressed with the paradigms I heard (atoms, titans, monitor 7, studio 20).

For $300 also look at the energy c-1 (heard these, awesome at this price), monitor audio bronze b1 or the older bronze 1, or the axiom m3ti.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i and a new owner of energy c-1's and i love them!

they are nicely detailed and pretty neutral with my receiver and wood floored living room, they ahve a great sound stage and are very full, and can handle low-mids very well

i use my system for about 70% music listening as well, both critical and casual, and i am very happy

the acsends to have more detail though, but i have to admit, they're too ugly for my main system, i would love to have them in a secondary system if i could ever afford one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.