AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a place where I can purchase just the tweeter? Prices? Possible cures without having to buy anything? I haven't opened the box yet, so it could be that the wire came unhooked during shipping.

·
Registered
65 Posts
be a warranty issue. Contact Paradigm, they'll probably sell you a replacement.

If by chance you meant 6 months old, your dealer should have a record of the sale, and could help you with the warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Before you order a tweeter, consider that a crossover component could have failed. Under what conditions did it stop working?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a Paradigm HT set up not too long ago. I had them for about 2 years. One of my Monitor 7's had a tweeter that didn't work right out of the box, one of my Mini Monitors had its midrange driver begin to cut out after about 1.5 years. Both of these issues were a cold solder joint on the crossover. Sounds like Paradigm may have some QC items to address. (2 out of 5 for me wasn't very good odds.)

It sounds like you may have the same issue. You can take the cone out of the speaker housing and "carefully" wiggle the tweeter leads while playing the speakers at a low volume. (If it's a cold solder joint you might be able to hear the tweeter cut in and out) This will enable you to trace the exact wire to the joint that is the culprit. (that worked for me on one) If that doesn't work, re-solder all the joints on the x-over(s). I bet you a buck one of these will do the trick.

Happy soldering!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sold the speakers and of course the tweeter quit working during shipping. At least, as far as I know it was working when I unhooked them. The buyer noticed the tweeter wasn't working. So now I get to refund his money and try to find out what's wrong. :( If it's just a loose wire, does it HAVE to be soldered back or can I just strip the wire and connect it directly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I burned out a tweeter in my Monitor 9's (V.2). I called the dealer and he shipped me one the next day, no questions asked. Of course, mine were still under warranty, but the point it he had them in stock. I'm sure you could buy one and I doubt they'd be too expensive.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A shop in the area that the guy lives who bought the speakers said it would be about $50 to replace the tweeter if that's what is wrong and it's not something else.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes you do have to solder it if the loose connection is on the x-over. (I'm pretty sure my Mini Mons had the speaker lead soldered directly onto the x-over board).

If you don't have a soldering iron, you can pick a cheap one up at RS or any other electronics store for under $10.

Read a quick "How to" on the web, it's no big deal at all.

I'm sure the $50 tweeter replacement was $15 for the tweeter and $35 for the 2 minute install.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Verrot is right. I replaced my own tweeter in less than 5 minutes and it only took that long because I couldn't find the right screwdriver. It couldn't be simpler.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.