AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me !

I auditionned the Polk rti10 with HKAVR645, and found them clean but too much tweeter in my taste and good but not full sounding midrange.

Listened to Paradigm monitor9v5 and studio20 with pio elite 81 and found the monitor9 to be the best of all 3 but I dont know how studio40 sound compared to studio20...

I would like a high sound quality at low volume with rich mids and good bass.

I'm looking for Pioneer elite 81tx as receiver to power up these speakers or maybe denon 2307-2807. Bi-wiring is in my mind.

Will the polk sound nice on the elite with bi-amp ? thanks

Pier

·
Banned
929 Posts
I own a pair of Monitor 9v5. They are very efficient so they get loud without a lot of power. However I still give them 120 wpc of Rotel. I don't particulary care for Polk's sound. I also don't like the fact that they are available in a regional big box retailer (American TV) in my area (Northern Illinois). V5 monitors are much more refined then the previous versions. They have supposedly incorporated some features from earlier Studio Series models. I don't think you could go wrong with Paradigm Monitors.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
The monitor series will require less power then the Studio's, and sound pretty darn good in my opinion, I replaced my Polk's with the Studio 100's and 20's, but with they are power hungry, so Im using a Rotel 200 x 5.

I listened to the Monitor 11's and loved them, just liked the studios....

I would def. choose Paradigm's over the Polks as well...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed a big difference between the studio20 and monitor9. At the same amplifier volume the monitor were easily 3-4 time louder..

How the monitor 9v5 compared to the monitor 11v5? I Think they use 7.5inch drivers instead of 6.5inches for the 9.

Does the sound is more balanced or detailed ?

While I like the sound of the paradigm studio 9, I found them too rich in the midband for voices and less rich for instruments like piano , guitar and drum kit. I never said that on a speaker before but maybe the bigger driver on the monito 11 will calm down the vocal a bit and make place for stronger instrumentation ?

thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have 4 mini monitor v.5 and cc-290 for my center. couldnt be happier. i did direct comparisons with the mini monitor v4 and v5. the version 5 was much more "studio like". best sounding center ive heard anywhere near that price range. by far the best setup i found for the $1100 price tag. now i just need a better sub...

·
Registered
55 Posts
forgot to address the polk's. i listened to polks and wasnt to impressed. to more directly answer your question, i dont think any amp could make polk's sound like paradigm monitor v5. jmo

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you don't need lots of volume, go for the studios, but if you can swing a deal on the 60s instead of the 40s, they would be great. They have better bass extension and sound great without a sub. If you don't already have stands, the cost of the stands will make the 40s cost close to what you could get the 60s for. If you need volume in a big room, the Monitor 9 or 11 will still sound great.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Comparing the Rti with the Studio's in my opinion is not a fair comparison.

I would say the Polk Lsi7 and the Lsi9 would be a better counter part. With the LSi line you would need a beefier amp since they are low impedance loads.

I auditioned the Studio 40 V3/V2 and ended up getting the Polk Lsi9's

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I can get the LSI9 too, real cheap, around the same price of the studio40.

Studio 20 were like 105$ more than monitor9 for me.

I really feel that the monitor9 could give me real pleasing music listening ALL day long like you said. The bass coming from monitor9 was stunning it could easily match a 8'' sub.

So far I'm thinking about getting the LSI9 or studio40 because my girlfriend want me to put the speaker on the tv stand, it would be nicer in my small room.

Ordering the lsi9 or studio40 without listening to them ..I dont know. I talked to a pioneer engineer in canada and he said that elite line has no problem running low 4ohms load or less . All you need to do is set the amp to 6ohms so it will configure itself for low impedance/high power. He said he has a pair of 12years old 3-4ohms speakers on its elite and no problem at all.

So bi-amping the LSI9 with the Elite could give them more than 260watts per channel @4ohms, enought for very good sound !

The lsi9 is tempting because the color is the perfect match for my samsung 4273 plasma and tv stand..but how is the bass coming from it ? better than the monitor 20? The mids rich,neutral with a touch of warmth? How about the Highs ?easyer on the ears than rti line ?

I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW !!??

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
My opinion would tell you that the Paradigms will easily best the Polk LSI9's...

I found the bass in the 20's astoundingly full, as well strong mid's and soothing highs.. Pleased enough to use them as my rear surrounds.. 100's for my fronts..

Build quality between the 2 is not comparable.. I like polks, but the Paradigms will really beat them hands down.. I replaced my polks with a full Paradigm studio array..

You will get much more punch with the 20's or 40's and Im driving mine with a 200x5 rotel..

·
Registered
7,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piquit /forum/post/0

The studio 20 sounds like the bass was popping, not round and full bass with the elite.

Monitor 9 has the perfect amazing low bass note with virtually no woofer travel!

Sorry I didn't hear the 40's just the 60's & 100's

What were they driving that speaker (20's) with, when I first heard them alone, with an NAD amp, they sure sounded damn nice to me.. Maybe they were underdriven.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard the monitor11 and studio 20 with a NAD C372 amp, this was not good at all compared to the cheap yamaha rx-797.

Yamaha won hands down on every aspect of the sound for 699$ CAN. I was amazed.

That makes me realised that a lot of people are paying more for a little more defined sound, but many others will pay often too much and get nothing better over big brands like pioneer denon and yamaha..in fact they will loose quality per Dollar ratio sometime because they are ignoring mass market brand to buy ''hifi'' brand.

In 2007, many company had their receiver or stereo amplifier matched the sound of hifi equipment if your use good quality cd player and wiring.

I know that because I work for a major electronic superstore chain and i listened to many speakers and receiver combo in the last few years.

Even if I think the yamaha rx 797 beats the Elite81 in stereo listening, the pioneer offer more for home cinema.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:

I heard the monitor11 and studio 20 with a NAD C372 amp, this was not good at all compared to the cheap yamaha rx-797.

Yamaha won hands down on every aspect of the sound for 699$ CAN. I was amazed.

That makes me realised that a lot of people are paying more for a little more defined sound, but many others will pay often too much and get nothing better over big brands like pioneer denon and yamaha..in fact they will loose quality per Dollar ratio sometime because they are ignoring mass market brand to buy ''hifi'' brand.

In 2007, many company had their receiver or stereo amplifier matched the sound of hifi equipment if your use good quality cd player and wiring.

I know that because I work for a major electronic superstore chain and i listened to many speakers and receiver combo in the last few years.

Even if I think the yamaha rx 797 beats the Elite81 in stereo listening, the pioneer offer more for home cinema.

I am very pleased with the sound and power of my Yammy with my v.5 speakers. The higher efficiency of the v.5's combined with running them as smalls puts more power into a narrower frequency range that improves sound at mid to loud volume. The midrange on the Monitor 7's in particular open up when set up to let the bass cross over at 90hz to the monster PW-2200. My Yammy has less distortion than most newer receivers and even at 100 Watts RMS/ channel I feel no need to upgrade it any time soon now that I am running high efficiency loudspeakers.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I love my Studio 40's. Great full range sound. I'm running them with a CC, ADP's and two atoms for the 6/7 with a Pioneer Elite 45TX.

I have plenty of power and easily reach 100 db average in my room with peaks of 105 db.

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So all you think studio 40 v4 will be the best in my situation with the elite 81 bi-amplified or I should go with the monitor 9v5??

It look like the monitor v5 sound is closer then ever before to the sound of the studio serie v4 . Could someone comment on this ?

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:

So all you think studio 40 v4 will be the best in my situation with the elite 81 bi-amplified or I should go with the monitor 9v5??

It look like the monitor v5 sound is closer then ever before to the sound of the studio serie v4 . Could someone comment on this ?

9v5's hands down. I would put nothing less than 200 Watts RMS into the Studio 40's. Huge sensitivity difference. Put the money you would have put in for stands for the 40's and get the 11v5's instead.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Unless you think listening at > than 100db is normal the 45TX handles them fine in fact I took off another amplifier on the 40's becasue I usually don't listen over 90 db which about-10 to minus 15 on the dial.

Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.