AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you guys recomend 2 paradigm ps1200's or 2 axiom ep350's. I could go with a single axiom ep500, but was hoping to buy2 12's to finish my home theater. Thanks

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Maybe you could give some more ideas of your room size, other equipment involved...

Listening preferences... HT/music... Looking for a sub for music or HT...

Budget..?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using Axiom m80's for front, qs8's for rear and the axiom 150 for center channel. Powering it all with a Onkyo 804 or 805. For budget cheaper the better, but dont want to skimp if needed. Probably dont want to spend more than about 1100 per sub. Use the system for about 75% movies, 25% music. Like hard rock music. Godsmack, Breaking benjamin etc. Listen to some hip hop. Watch lots of action movies along with comedies. Like my music to be loud, movies not as loud. Really do want to use 2 of whatever sub I choose. Might just bite the bullet and buy two of the axiom ep500's.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Sounds like you got your idea's in the right place... Axiom has fantastic reviews on their EP500. doesn't sound to me like you need any help here at all... More bang for your buck might go to the HSU's, or Pretty factor might be placed in the SVS arena...

Only other thing I would say is have a peak at this thread, If you haven't already seen it... craigsub has a great deal of respect everywhere on the net.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150

Other then that, I think your on the right track !!!! Good luck...

Warp

·
Registered
273 Posts
From what I gathered regarding the Axiom's, one EP500 equals or betters 2 of the 350's. There are very few reviews also regarding the 350 whereas the 500 has great aclaim. Basically the 500 is in a whole different league than the 350.

Bill3508

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
My room is almost 900 sq ft. I used to have ONE 350 which did ok. Upgraded to an ep500 which was a LOT better. I currently have an ep600 which is better yet. I would start with 1 sub for now, you can always save up and purchase another, but most likely you won't need one with proper placement.

Also, I would propose a question on the Axiom forum about using Onkyo to drive 80's. There have been people that have had issues with Onkyo's not being able to drive the 4ohm 80's at the higher volumes without going into protection mode.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Two PS1200s would be a waste of money. They don't go very low, but will give you some nice shaking. A single PW2200 would be better for quality of bass, but I'd look at the SVS cylinders. A friend upgraded from the PS1200 to the PW2200 and then to the SVS 12" cylinder (he now owns two of them) and each step was a definite improvement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really wanted to buy something in Canada if possible. Do not want to pay the crazy shipping, duties and brokerage fees. Free trade sure isn't that free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I see you want to buy in Canada, might I suggest a pair of HSU VTF-3.2's from electronicsforless.ca (since I'm a new member the system wouldn't let me post a more complete link, but it should be easy enough to find).

These guys are in Ontario (GTA) and are selling the last of these HSU subs that they have in stock for $839 + GST (free UPS shipping, no PST outside of Ontario). I bought one from them about a month ago, and it arrived at my door two days later, as well as a 25 ft sub cable that I hadn't expected. I'm using it in a largish room (about 30 by 20 ft with cathedral ceiling) and really can't imagine needing 2 of them. The first time I really let it loose (one of the LOTR movies) it knocked a clock off the wall on the other side of the room. I couldn't be happier with this sub, but it is a bit on the large side (makes a useful end table if you place it beside a couch for example).

Happy shopping.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by still2high /forum/post/0

I really wanted to buy something in Canada if possible. Do not want to pay the crazy shipping, duties and brokerage fees. Free trade sure isn't that free.

Sonic Boom is the dealer for SVS in Canada.

I decided to build my own subs, but had I not I was going to buy a pair of SVS SB12s.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by still2high /forum/post/0

would you guys recomend 2 paradigm ps1200's or 2 axiom ep350's. I could go with a single axiom ep500, but was hoping to buy2 12's to finish my home theater. Thanks

Can't comment about other subs, have only owned one, the EP500! Fills my 7300cf space with unflinching bottom end that is tight, deep and has excellent tonality! I too use my HT at 75% movies and 25% music! I may not have the volume taste you do, but can easily achieve 100db+ at my 16' listening position with viseral, sub-audible bass (LFE or Organ) that just takes your breath away...never strained and always articulate!!

I'm sure the Paradigm-SVS-HSU sub offerings would also be great! But, if you'd like to visually match your Axiom HT setup and have the confidence in the ability of a total controlled DSP awesome bottom end, a single (or Double-WOW) EP500 will certainly put a smile on your face!

Ted

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Hsu no longer have a Canadian distributor but the previous stores have a few left of the old models. I'd be looking at SVS if I were buying in Canada today. The Axiom does look impressive, but I wonder if value is as good as SVS and Hsu. But if you have the budget all lined up...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts