Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This post is very similar to one I made in the AV receiver forum, so I apologize if this is redundant. I'm in the process of narrowing down my choices of speakers and have pretty much come down to Paradigm or DefTech. I'm interested in gathering opinions on the models listed below and finding out any information outside of what the spec sheets say. If you have one of these speaker set-ups, please let me know what you think of it and what receiver you have it matched up with. Right now, I'm leaning towards either Paradigm Reference (Studio 60s, CC-470, ADP-470s, Servo 15) or Definitive Technology. The speaker choice will depend on budget. I'd love to get the Digms, but may opt for a significantly lower-priced DefTech setup (7004s, CLR2500, BP2X or maybe even 7006s, CLR2300, BP1.2X).

For the AV receiver, I will go with either a Denon 2805 or Pioneer Elite 52TX.

I have heard both of these speakers sets, but have not been able to do a side by side comparison and have not been able to hear them through the same receiver. The only Digm dealer in town doesn't carry Pioneer Elite. The DefTech dealers that I've been to in town don't have the particular speakers I want to hear and didn't have any DefTechs hooked up to any of the same speakers that the Denon was hooked up to... frustrating. I know these receivers and speakers produce very different sound. The media room this is going into is strictly an HT room... little to no music will ever be played in this room. Approximate dimensions are 25x15x8 for the room.

Thanks in advance and please share some info, opinions, and advice...

·
Registered
865 Posts
...I own a full 7.1 set of Def Techs, BP-30's, CLR2000, BPVX's, and Mon450's (none have powered subs) and the SuperCube Reference for the bottom end. The fronts have a full set of drivers in the rear of the cabinet, and as such need to be positioned several feet out away from the wall for the full bipolar effect. In most dealer locations, they will have all the tower speakers set up along the front wall in line all in a row, and believe me, this type of listening environment does not unleash the full capability of the Def Tech sound. Set up correctly, I really love the soundstage and imaging. The bipolar sound is different, and is what sets these speakers apart from the rest of the pack. Speaker sound is very subjective, the Def Techs to my ears are transparent and enjoyable both on home theater and music listening. I passed up the models with the built-in subs, as I preferred a separate sub which can be independently positioned at the spot in the room that presents the best low end balance across the listening area.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard both speaker sets. I found the Paradigms to be musically beautiful... and the Deftechs created a wonderfully powerful energy in an HT setup. I like both speaker brands. I once heard a setup where the four satellites and the center channel all had powered subwoofers... the four satellites were running off the LFE channel... really, really, impressive HT environment in my humble opinion.

What are you using to power your Deftechs?

·
Registered
865 Posts
..two Marantz mm9000's

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I also have a Def Tech 7.1 setup and love it for both music and especially movies. I went with the powered towers, and have been very impressed with how even the bass response has been without even moving the speakers around. I use the Denon 3805, and run only speaker level inputs into the towers. Sounds so good i haven't ever tried another hook up option. I would definitely go with the Denon over the Pioneer. As far as the speakers, let your ears be the judge. Buy them from a dealer that will let you take em back if you don't like em at home. That way you can't lose. Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep getting feedback that either of these speaker systems will be a bit power hungry... do you guys think that the 100-110 w/ch is sufficient to feed either of these speaker sets???

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Scott, try this:

Remove lower speaker links, run a pair of interconnects from a pre-amp output pair to the sub-amp inputs, and select "sub - no" (already should be) and "mains - large" (also already should be) in bass management. This'll give you stereo bass along with mono LFE.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
Scott, try this:

Remove lower speaker links, run a pair of interconnects from a pre-amp output pair to the sub-amp inputs, and select "sub - no" (already should be) and "mains - large" (also already should be) in bass management. This'll give you stereo bass along with mono LFE.
Not exactly sure what you mean. Are you saying remove the gold jumpers? Yeah, i have them set to large and no sub. sounds great to me, but if it can sound even better i'll try anything. Can you be more descriptive? Thanks Larry.

Scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can't comment on Deftechs, but they seem highly regarded by those who own them. I currently have paradigm and couldn't be more satisfied. if you go the 'digm route, might i recommend that you get 40s since theater is your thing.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Yes, Scott, I think I can.

On the rear panel, there should be six links; three that interconnect the reds and three that interconnect the blacks. The lowest pair simply feed the sub amp via a voltage divider; probably a pair of resistors.

My suggestion is to remove the lower pair of links, which means that the sub amps are no longer driven via the speaker wires. Rather than just setting the links aside, use them to double-up on the upper posts.

Now, drive the sub amps via a pair of RCA interconnects from a stereo pre-amp output. The sub-bass volume will track that of the main channels, but the receiver's amps (and distortion) will be out of the signal path.

This will still result in stereo bass, along with the LFE mixed in to both channels. This sounds so much better than feeding the sub amps via the sub output and a Y-cord, and follows DefTech's recommendations.

The sub inputs contain their own low-pass filter, so there's no need to use the receicer's bass management to do it. My BP-2000's have only one RCA input, but newer ones may have more; don't use the one marked LFE.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had the Paradigm Reference series (studio 60's, CC-470, ADP-470's)

for over three months now and I couldn't be happier. I'm mainly using

it 90% movies/10% music and the sound is very spatial and full. It

completely fills my 24.5' x 14.5' x 9' dedicated HT room.

I haven't head the DefTech personally, but have read many positives.

I think you will be pleased with either setup.

Jim

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
Yes, Scott, I think I can.

On the rear panel, there should be six links; three that interconnect the reds and three that interconnect the blacks. The lowest pair simply feed the sub amp via a voltage divider; probably a pair of resistors.

My suggestion is to remove the lower pair of links, which means that the sub amps are no longer driven via the speaker wires. Rather than just setting the links aside, use them to double-up on the upper posts.

Now, drive the sub amps via a pair of RCA interconnects from a stereo pre-amp output. The sub-bass volume will track that of the main channels, but the receiver's amps (and distortion) will be out of the signal path.

This will still result in stereo bass, along with the LFE mixed in to both channels. This sounds so much better than feeding the sub amps via the sub output and a Y-cord, and follows DefTech's recommendations.

The sub inputs contain their own low-pass filter, so there's no need to use the receicer's bass management to do it. My BP-2000's have only one RCA input, but newer ones may have more; don't use the one marked LFE.
Larry, my speakers only have 2 inputs for lleft and right and they are connected by a pair of gold jumpers. There is also a single LFE input for a total of 5 inputs. We must have different speakers.

So, should i run a single interconnect to the lfe in from the l or r pre out of my receiver? What do you think?

Scott

·
Registered
634 Posts
I to have Paradigms. my set up is Reference Studio 100s, cc470, 2 pairs ADP 470, 12in. sub Cerwin Vega - Yamaha RXV-2400 - Acurus A250 Amp - 2 Niles SI-250 Amp. I use for 75% for movies and 25% for music. I have not heard the Definitive Technology but when I purchased the Pardigms I listened to not all but just about everything AROUND that price range and I just love the sound. As far as power before I bought the RXV-2400 I had the RXV-3000 and It pushed the Paradigms just fine. Matter of fact at the time the sound was the best I had heard(with my limited ears). I have to admit when I gave them more power that is when they really shined.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've gotten that feedback repeatedly... that you really need to feed Digms a lot of power... I'm concerned that 100 -110 w/ch from a receiver really won't be sufficient.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd_zilla
Jim,

What are you driving your Paradigms with? Amp, receiver, how much power, etc...

Todd,

Right now I'm just powering my Paradigms and SVS sub (PB12-ISD/2) with

a Yamaha RXV1400 receiver. This is my first quality audio system, and

so far I've been very pleased with the results. I am, however, considering

adding an amp to the mix within the next year.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Don't get me wrong. It does sound better with more power behind them, but when I just had the RXV-3000 pushing them(I think about 115 watts) It never crossed my mind that they could sound better. My opinion is get the Digms use your receiver and later on down the road get a amp or two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.