AVS Forum banner

25681 - 25700 of 38854 Posts

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
the major problem you will have with the speaker being that close to the wall is boundary gain of the low frequencies.

Are you going to be using a receiver with EQ correction (like Audyssey or ARC)? If so, it will most likely eliminate all boundary gain. My Signature S8's are 18" from the side walls of my HT room but I still have 10dB of boundary gain from 40-70Hz....ARC eliminates this gain completely so it is a non-factor.

Again, it all comes down to what is practical for you. Having the speaker 6" from the wall is not a huge deal, and if EQ software and/or acoustic treatment is being used, it is almost a non-factor so keeping your current entertainment center design is no big deal. Now, if you have the ability of changing the design without extra hassle/money/complaints from the wife, then allowing for a few more inches of room (like 12" total) would always help, especially by allowing for a thicker acoustic material to be used behind the speaker and asking any EQ software to do less work correcting any boundary gain.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
bcarrol,

I made a mistake: the "box sound effect" wouldn't really be an issue for your setup since the sides of the speaker are completely open and away from solid surfaces.

The only problem you would encounter is the same as Anhydro, which is boundary gain. This can be combated/fixed with either proper acoustic paneling, good EQ software in your receiver, or both (doing both will obviously yield better results then just doing one or the other).

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22490466

the major problem you will have with the speaker being that close to the wall is boundary gain of the low frequencies.

Are you going to be using a receiver with EQ correction (like Audyssey or ARC)? If so, it will most likely eliminate all boundary gain. My Signature S8's are 18" from the side walls of my HT room but I still have 10dB of boundary gain from 40-70Hz....ARC eliminates this gain completely so it is a non-factor.

Again, it all comes down to what is practical for you. Having the speaker 6" from the wall is not a huge deal, and if EQ software and/or acoustic treatment is being used, it is almost a non-factor so keeping your current entertainment center design is no big deal. Now, if you have the ability of changing the design without extra hassle/money/complaints from the wife, then allowing for a few more inches of room (like 12" total) would always help, especially by allowing for a thicker acoustic material to be used behind the speaker and asking any EQ software to do less work correcting any boundary gain.

Thanks BCJ. I have Audyssey and I think I can add a couple of inches without much trouble. I'm also glad to hear your Sig S8's are okay that close to the side wall... I will have the Sig-LCR 5's as the left and right... and 22" from the side walls.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22490482

bcarrol,

I made a mistake: the "box sound effect" wouldn't really be an issue for your setup since the sides of the speaker are completely open and away from solid surfaces.

The only problem you would encounter is the same as Anhydro, which is boundary gain. This can be combated/fixed with either proper acoustic paneling, good EQ software in your receiver, or both (doing both will obviously yield better results then just doing one or the other).

I would have the availability to do some type of paneling behind it. i also have a yamaha rx-a710 with the yapo mic. I guess now the only thing left to do is figure out what sub to get.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Can I get some help?

I auditioned the Studio 100s and they sound great. Then I listened to the Signature S2s. Not a floorstander but it also sounded great.

My question, how much better is the Signature S2 over the Studio 100? Do you all recommend the S2 over the 100 or visa versa? And why?

My dealer said its the same price.

Thanks.

-Dru

·
Registered
56 Posts
So it looks like I'm going to become a new Paradigm Owner! Not because I placed an order (yet), but because after auditioning a lot of speakers, I'm pretty much sold on Paradigm Studio 20s.

If anyone here has any recommendations regarding where to look for best priced Paradigm Studio 20 v5's, please let me know! I'll be looking through the course of the next few weeks or so to try to find a good deal on them used.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the exact MSRP on the Paradigm Studio 20's (latest version - v5) is in USD? Some places say $1400, others say $1500. I'm not really sure what I should expect if I were to pay retail?

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22490891

Can I get some help?

I auditioned the Studio 100s and they sound great. Then I listened to the Signature S2s. Not a floorstander but it also sounded great.

My question, how much better is the Signature S2 over the Studio 100? Do you all recommend the S2 over the 100 or visa versa? And why?

Thanks.

-Dru

Although I have not heard the S2's, I would assume that the Studio 100's beat the S2's in only the lower part of the bass responce. I would also assume that the S2's would best the Studio 100's in the mid-range and tweeter department. Of course this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but, if it were me, I would take the S2's with a C3 (or better yet, a C5) and also with a couple of great subs, over the Studio 100's. I am also curious to hear some other peoples opinion on using either, a) Studio 100 w/cc-690 or S2 w/C5 and also a good sub or two?

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22490891

Can I get some help?

Thanks.

-Dru
I have listened to v5 Studio 100s and both v2 and v3 S2s and IMO, the S2 is clearly superior for 2 channel music. For a small bookshelf the bass they produce is surprising good.

However, if you're going to use the S2s for home theatre they may not have sufficient output if your room is a decent size. If you can stretch your budget and get the S6's you will have a great speaker for both 2 channel and home theatre.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm curious, what would be a fair price to expect for a 7 speaker Studio Reference v2 setup all in great condition? The set consists of the following:

Studio 100's (rosenut laminate with gold feet and original boxes)

Studio 60's (rosenut laminate with gold feet and original boxes)

Studio ADP's (graphite with original box)

Studio CC (graphite with original box)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519audiofan  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22492162

I have listened to v5 Studio 100s and both v2 and v3 S2s and IMO, the S2 is clearly superior for 2 channel music. For a small bookshelf the bass they produce is surprising good.

However, if you're going to use the S2s for home theatre they may not have sufficient output if your room is a decent size. If you can stretch your budget and get the S6's you will have a great speaker for both 2 channel and home theatre.

I own the S2 & the S6. The S2 can be swapped into my home theater with negligible performance difference. They sound virtually identical except for the bass. I roll the S6s off @ 60 Hz in home theater and run them full range in music. The extra bass drivers don't make much of a difference when rolling them off @ 60 Hz. I would also not pair a C5 with the S2 as the C5 is well over $4K now.

It really depends on the size of your room. Though unless you have something the size of a dedicated theater or vaulted ceilings I have a hard time imaging any of these speakers struggling to fill the space with ease.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22492487

I own the S2 & the S6. The S2 can be swapped into my home theater with negligible performance difference. They sound virtually identical except for the bass. I roll the S6s off @ 60 Hz in home theater and run them full range in music. The extra bass drivers don't make much of a difference when rolling them off @ 60 Hz. I would also not pair a C5 with the S2 as the C5 is well over $4K now.

It really depends on the size of your room. Though unless you have something the size of a dedicated theater or vaulted ceilings I have a hard time imaging any of these speakers struggling to fill the space with ease.

Thank you all for your comments.

Tank_PD, that is what I'm thinking. I am in a condo that has a room with 8-ft ceiling and 12-ft by 14-ft living. If I crossover at 80-Hz and added a subwoofer(s) then I think I will be in good shape for home theater.

I was leaning to the S2 due to the tweeter and midrange upgrade.

Any other thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22492820

Thank you all for your comments.

Tank_PD, that is what I'm thinking. I am in a condo that has a room with 8-ft ceiling and 12-ft by 14-ft living. If I crossover at 80-Hz and added a subwoofer(s) then I think I will be in good shape for home theater.

I was leaning to the S2 due to the tweeter and midrange upgrade.

Any other thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it.

In a room that small, which is even smaller than mine I would get the S2. They will be excellent for music and movies. Can you demo at the dealer to hear the difference? Everything should sound clearer with the signature series.

Keep in mind a large theater room at the dealer the bass response of speakers might not be nearly as strong as it will be in your own room. If you run an AVR with room correction or have a Paradigm Sub with PBK the room correcting will end up taming the bass response in a small room. What sub were you interested in / thinking of getting?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22492899

In a room that small, which is even smaller than mine I would get the S2. They will be excellent for music and movies. Can you demo at the dealer to hear the difference? Everything should sound clearer with the signature series.

Keep in mind a large theater room at the dealer the bass response of speakers might not be nearly as strong as it will be in your own room. If you run an AVR with room correction or have a Paradigm Sub with PBK the room correcting will end up taming the bass response in a small room. What sub were you interested in / thinking of getting?

I do have an AVR, Pioneer VSX-23TXH. I was thinking of getting SVS Dual SB12-NSD. I figure I would get one for each front. And I like sealed subs compared to ported. Any thoughts on the SVS with the S2?

Also, I did audition them. I spent an 1 and change with the Studio 100 and about 15 min with the S2. It was immediately clear that the detail was better. Now I plan to bring some more material to spend more time with the S2.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22492930

I do have an AVR, Pioneer VSX-23TXH. I was thinking of getting SVS Dual SB12-NSD. I figure I would get one for each front. And I like sealed subs compared to ported. Any thoughts on the SVS with the S2?

Also, I did audition them. I spent an 1 and change with the Studio 100 and about 15 min with the S2. It was immediately clear that the detail was better. Now I plan to bring some more material to spend more time with the S2.

Thanks!

Glad you got to hear them. I don't have specific thoughts on the sub and those may be hard to beat for the price. I have heard very good things about SVS the JL Fathom subs. Though for the price of the JL many Paradigm Subs are are also in the same price range. I have a Sub 1 and it is unbelievable, but it is also very expensive. The nice thing about the Paradigm / JL subs is they have their own room calibration.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I currently have a 7.3 Paradigm surround system installed. I would like to update it to 11.3. I have 2 Monitor 11 V.2 for LR, 1 CC-370 V.2 for C, 4 ADP-370 V.2 for SL, SR, SBL, and SBR, and 3 PW-2200 V.1 subwoofers. I recently purchased 2 Monitor Mini V.2 for FW, but haven't installed them, yet. I bought these because they timbre match the rest of my speakers.

I would have liked to have used Monitor Mini V.2 speakers for FH, but I really cannot fit them where I need them installed. In the HT room, I have a low ceiling that is about 7' high, a wall of closets in the front of the room, and a pull down screen in front of the doors. When the doors open, there is a very small clearance of less than 9" between the ceiling and the top of the doors, so I cannot really use a set of Monitor Mini V.2 speakers for FH.

I have been thinking of using Nanosat Prestige speakers, but they may be overpowered by my other speakers. I have also seen PSB Image B4, Paradigm MilleniaOne, and Energy V Mini speakers mentioned on this forum. These would all fit and they are all lightweight.

I have also been considering the Paradigm Atom Monitor V.7, but it may be too heavy. I may need to install the FH speakers with wall anchors because I don't think there are any wall studs where I would like to mount them. Would the Atom V.7 be too heavy to mount without any studs? Also, I believe Paradigm never released matching Atom speakers for the rest of the V.2 Monitor series. The Atom Monitor V.2 are different from the Monitor V.2 that I have. Would these Atom V.7 speakers sound too distinct and distracting with the rest of my speakers? Also, if I can still find Atom V.6 speakers, should I get those instead?

Also, are there any other speakers that I should be considering for FH? I would like them to be 7", or less, wide, if possible.

Btw, I am planning on mounting the FH speakers horizontally, so that I can have more speaker choices.

I use my system mostly for movies and I like to listen to it at reference volume most of the time.

Thanks a lot for any help.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22492930

Thanks!
I have a Studio Sub 12 with my Sig S4s/C3 and I am very happy with it.

Every now and then though I do toy with the idea of a Sub1 ....

Given your room dimensions the S2 will work very well. When the upgrade bug was itching last spring, I was thinking of S2's but I stumbled on an awesome deal for a new in box set of v2 S4s and a C3.

You will be very happy with the Sigs. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I have a SVS PB12 NSD for my Studio 10v5's for a small bedroom and they kick pretty good. I should have my new Paradgim Inspiration's within a month. I would guess they will be close to the Sig2's. There is just no real info on the Inspiration's to go by at this time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my home theater system... I'm looking at Studio 20's and Studio 60's. I have an SVS PC-12-NSD subwoofer.

I'm wanting to know which would sound better between the 20's and 60's? Someone mentioned that they read a review that said the 20's sounded better than the 100's.

Do I really need the woofers that the 60's provide given that I already have a sub? Also, I noticed the difference in size of the midrange on the 20's (7 in) and 60's (5-1/2 in), how much of adifference does the size make. I want to get a full range of sound out of my system.

I was able to listen to the 20's and they sounded great. I was not able to listen to the 60's.... the dealer told me that only people with small rooms (those who don't have the room for towers) buy the 20's. I have the room for either. Given the total change in direction as to what speakers I should get, I actually forgot to listen to the 60's, they were in a different room.

Question is, what would be the best (20's or 60's) for a home theater system... I will also be listening to music, but not as much as HT.

Also, what center channel would work best for my setup? The Studio CC-490 or Studio CC-590 ... I'm sure the 590 would be the best, but do I need it?

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,

I'm finally upgrading my appaling HTIB speakers, after 8 years
. I've been a fan of the Paradigm sound for years (have Studio 60's) and auditioning other brand satellite HT speakers recently reinforced that fandom. I'm looking to get the MilleniaOne, but I've run into a snag. They're expensive, barely within my budget.

There are some Cinema 90 speakers still available and they're at half the price of the MilleniaOnes. But an A-B listening comparison is not possible.

I've read the specs and plenty of reviews but would love to hear from someone that can tell me how do the Cinema 90 and MilleniaOnes compare for...resolution and low level listening.

And to those with MilleniaOne speakers, where did you get them? It seems like they aren't about on the internet, save shakey looking sites.

Thanks,

Dave

25681 - 25700 of 38854 Posts