AVS Forum banner

25701 - 25720 of 38875 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was able to recently upgrade my surrounds on my 7.1 to Paradigm Cinema Speakers. I have Cinema 2 Diapols for the LS and RS, and regular Cinema 2 for the LR and RR, and I have to say, they work like a charm after calibrating them beyond the auto calibration my receiver did. I've started picking up sounds I didn't realize were there, though that wouldn't of been hard to do, changing from a set of Pioneer HTiB surrounds. Cheap ones, from Wal-Mart from about.. 7 years ago. They worked fine, but once I started getting into the big boys toys, I started realizing that they just weren't going to cut it anymore, so I found a good set, jumped on them, and am happy that I did. These will probably remain with me for a good long while, unless I decide to upgrade again.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-himura  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22488424

...On that note I got confirmed by the paradigm reps that there is a new line of speakers coming out next year, they are on a higher end scale. They said it will cost about 13K to 15K it will sound way better than the signature line since this will be there new refrnce speakers and flagship speaker. They tried to get them out for the end of this year but it did ot work out according to them, thats why they came out with thr tribute line...

I really cant imagine they could sound that much better than the current Signature lineup. For the last 6 years I have had the v1 S8s, C5, ADPs, and (more recently) the Sub25. I havent ever thought to myself that it needed improvement. Such a huge leap in price cant be justified by me. Lets be honest, we are deep into the realm of diminishing returns with Signatures as it is! 13-15k for the new tier? Unless it is some kind of aesthetic material cost, I cant possibly see where the real money is going.

My 2c.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22495700

Pretty sure you have to go through an authorized dealer. You likely won't find any sales for those online (if you want to retain he warranty).

Just makig sure on this, but your post was related to mine, correct?? If so, then yes, it was an authorized dealer, but technically bought them from someone else. Though the gentlemen from the store I physically purchased them from told me that if I ever have any problems with the speakers, they will cover them with a warranty.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitadisciple  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22493681

I'm looking to upgrade my home theater system... I'm looking at Studio 20's and Studio 60's. I have an SVS PC-12-NSD subwoofer.

I'm wanting to know which would sound better between the 20's and 60's? Someone mentioned that they read a review that said the 20's sounded better than the 100's.

Do I really need the woofers that the 60's provide given that I already have a sub? Also, I noticed the difference in size of the midrange on the 20's (7 in) and 60's (5-1/2 in), how much of adifference does the size make. I want to get a full range of sound out of my system.

I was able to listen to the 20's and they sounded great. I was not able to listen to the 60's.... the dealer told me that only people with small rooms (those who don't have the room for towers) buy the 20's. I have the room for either. Given the total change in direction as to what speakers I should get, I actually forgot to listen to the 60's, they were in a different room.

Question is, what would be the best (20's or 60's) for a home theater system... I will also be listening to music, but not as much as HT.

Also, what center channel would work best for my setup? The Studio CC-490 or Studio CC-590 ... I'm sure the 590 would be the best, but do I need it?

Thanks

I got a couple questions for you. How big is the room? How far will your seating be from center channel? Do you listen to a lot of 2 channel music? I have the 100s, 690 and studio 20s (wides and sides). I enjoy my 100s when I listen to 2 channel music without my subwoofer so a full range speaker makes sense. The studio 20 is nice with a capable subwoofer, but if you are trying to fill a larger room with a bookshelf it maybe more difficult. One thing you are getting with a tower speaker is full range (bass). That being said, I have read people saying they liked the sound of studio 20s with sub better than the 60s with a sub. I would guess it probably would have to do with the larger bass/mid driver of the 20. It would make sense because if you cross the 20s and 60s at 80hz all your ears are comparing is the mid driver and the high frequency driver. But it boils down to individual audio tastes. As far as center channel, that one is easier. If home theater is your main goal, then get the largest center channel you can afford. Considering they say 60-70% of movie information comes out of the center channel, I think it is the most important speaker in the whole home theater setup. If costs were an issue, I would probably do the studio 20s with the 590 as oppose to the studio 60s with the 490. Remember, the dealer would rather you buy the 60s verses the 20s.

One thing to remember is that we can give you all the logical points, but in the end, your ears will decide. Go back and listen to those 60s and compare the 490 and 590 if possible. Nothing is worse then spending that kind of money, setting it all up and you don't like the results.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25680#post_22488266

If it truly is 16" then you are golden. The rear ports on my Signature C5 center speaker are only 12" away from my front wall.....but I also have 6" thick bass absorbing panels between the speaker and the wall also

Ok it is EXACTLY 12" from the wall, hehe. I could potentially move it forward an inch or two, but then I'd be nervous out it falling forward.

@bcarroll, my tv is exactly 3ft from the group on the TV stand. I'd have to read the manual again, but I believe Paradigm recommends at minimum 12" of space between speakers and any walls.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So is there a new Signature line coming out next year? Or is it just an updated Studio line?

Any rumors on the specs for this new upgrade?

Any online specs of the tribute line someone just mentioned?

Thanks!

[EDIT]

Ok I did some googling.

It seems that the Inspiration is a S2 but it is cheaper than a pair of S2. Why is that or is it just an upgrade Studio version with a beryllium tweeter? Therefore not as good as the S2.

Still would like to know if a new Signature line is coming next year.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22499742

So is there a new Signature line coming out next year? Or is it just an updated Studio line?

Any rumors on the specs for this new upgrade?

Any online specs of the tribute line someone just mentioned?

Thanks!

[EDIT]

Ok I did some googling.

It seems that the Inspiration is a S2 but it is cheaper than a pair of S2. Why is that or is it just an upgrade Studio version with a beryllium tweeter? Therefore not as good as the S2.

Still would like to know if a new Signature line is coming next year.

I think the Inspirtaion's are a mix of Studio and Sig speakers. When i called Paradigm they would tell me nothing about the Inspirations. I hope to have mine within a month. I will post up pics when i do get them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Note unrelated to my search for speakers - were there mid-size stands for the last generation Cinema LCRs? I need to find one shorter than the floor stand model.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Fire Eagl  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22501924

Emotiva XPA-100s 2 of them or XPA-2 For Paradigm Studio 100 V5 any thoughts ? For a stereo setup

Parasound A23

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Anyone ever try running 3 center channels such as the CC 590 or CC690 as their left/right/center configuration. I am bulding a HT room and want 3 matching speakers. The way I am designing the entertainment center my contractor is building, I don't really have room for towers. I was considering doing the studio 20s but then I thought why not run three center channels? Mostly HT, gaming, TV and very little music. Any thoughts/experience?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22504013

Anyone ever try running 3 center channels such as the CC 590 or CC690 as their left/right/center configuration. I am bulding a HT room and want 3 matching speakers. The way I am designing the entertainment center my contractor is building, I don't really have room for towers. I was considering doing the studio 20s but then I thought why not run three center channels? Mostly HT, gaming, TV and very little music. Any thoughts/experience?
\

Don't see how three centers would cut it.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22504013

It might help if you explain more what you mean you don't have enough room.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
The contractor is building a custom entertainment center that will house a screen for a projector and shelving for AV equipment. In the design and space alloted, there is no room for a floor standing speaker so I will need book shelf or LCR type speaker. I am considering JTR triple 8s or three Paradigm Studio 20s or 3 Golden ear AONs. Just trying to think of any other speakers in my price range that would fit the bill (roughly $500 to $1300 per speaker...have flexibility if the right solution comes along).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm no expert but why wouldn't 3 center channels "cut it?" I remember a review in Home Theater many years ago with 3 center channel monitors as the LCR speakers. They stood the L and R on end and the review spoke of perfect timbre matching. That's my memory anyway.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericks64  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22506635

I'm no expert but why wouldn't 3 center channels "cut it?" I remember a review in Home Theater many years ago with 3 center channel monitors as the LCR speakers. They stood the L and R on end and the review spoke of perfect timbre matching. That's my memory anyway.

I just think it would sound the best using three centers as a front stage. I could be wrong and you could always try it out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I do not currently own a sub but intend to buy one soon.

Would I gain anything upgrading my Monitor 3s (V1) to a pair of v2 Monitor 9s? I'm looking at $500 for the pair. Should I just put that money towards the sub?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22504080

Don't see how three centers would cut it.

I'm sure 3 of the Focal Viva Utopia's would cut it:
http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loudspeakers/home-theatre-speakers/central-speakers/viva-utopia.php

Too bad they are $12K each.

Alternatively you can use 3x the same speaker for the front stage. If you have the room:
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Discover/Discover/About_Bowers_&_Wilkins/Abbey-Road.html

The center speaker is traditionally orientated horizontally to make room for the screen. Not everyone can place a 3rd vertical speaker in the center of the stage. The center speaker in a series should already be timber matched to the other speakers in the series. I'm not sure you are going to gain anything except a crazy custom setup and a complicated journey to getting to something set up. You also risk loosing 2-channel performance when trading a more capable floor stander for a less capable center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22504125

The contractor is building a custom entertainment center that will house a screen for a projector and shelving for AV equipment. In the design and space alloted, there is no room for a floor standing speaker so I will need book shelf or LCR type speaker. I am considering JTR triple 8s or three Paradigm Studio 20s or 3 Golden ear AONs. Just trying to think of any other speakers in my price range that would fit the bill (roughly $500 to $1300 per speaker...have flexibility if the right solution comes along).

Though 3-bookshelfs probably isn't as difficult to manage. Though they typically don't like to "sit" on a shelf any longer or any kind of enclosure. You need the stands to sound their best.

25701 - 25720 of 38875 Posts