AVS Forum banner

25721 - 25740 of 38858 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22498043


I got a couple questions for you. How big is the room? How far will your seating be from center channel? Do you listen to a lot of 2 channel music? I have the 100s, 690 and studio 20s (wides and sides). I enjoy my 100s when I listen to 2 channel music without my subwoofer so a full range speaker makes sense. The studio 20 is nice with a capable subwoofer, but if you are trying to fill a larger room with a bookshelf it maybe more difficult. One thing you are getting with a tower speaker is full range (bass). That being said, I have read people saying they liked the sound of studio 20s with sub better than the 60s with a sub. I would guess it probably would have to do with the larger bass/mid driver of the 20. It would make sense because if you cross the 20s and 60s at 80hz all your ears are comparing is the mid driver and the high frequency driver. But it boils down to individual audio tastes. As far as center channel, that one is easier. If home theater is your main goal, then get the largest center channel you can afford. Considering they say 60-70% of movie information comes out of the center channel, I think it is the most important speaker in the whole home theater setup. If costs were an issue, I would probably do the studio 20s with the 590 as oppose to the studio 60s with the 490. Remember, the dealer would rather you buy the 60s verses the 20s.

One thing to remember is that we can give you all the logical points, but in the end, your ears will decide. Go back and listen to those 60s and compare the 490 and 590 if possible. Nothing is worse then spending that kind of money, setting it all up and you don't like the results.

Thanks for the reply, I ended up going with the 60's and the 490. I will be using it mainly for home theater and the 60's fill the room more then the 20's do and that is what I was looking for. I went with the 490 because the bass/midrange on both the 60's and 490 are the same size. I figured that the sound would mesh better that way instead of getting towers with 5.5 inch mid/bass driver and a center channel with 7 inch mid/bass driver.... not to mention the 590 is massive!!


For your questions my room is large but the listening area is small... 13x15. We sit 10 feet from where the towers will be placed. I listen to some 2 channel music, not as much as I used to, but I love music and I'm sure these speakers will see plenty of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I called a Paradigm dealer for a replacement part a month or two back and they quoted me a price and I declined. I called again recently, and the price they quoted for the same part was 40%, less so I bought it. They said they weren't making anything on it and were looking to build relationships with their customers. I want to support all small businesses, especially small audio shops. But now, I need a new tweeter and midrange driver and am a bit hesitant to call. Is it rude to buy parts from a dealer if you never purchased speakers from them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22507502


I called a Paradigm dealer for a replacement part a month or two back and they quoted me a price and I declined. I called again recently, and the price they quoted for the same part was 40%, less so I bought it. They said they weren't making anything on it and were looking to build relationships with their customers. I want to support all small businesses, especially small audio shops. But now, I need a new tweeter and midrange driver and am a bit hesitant to call. Is it rude to buy parts from a dealer if you never purchased speakers from them?

I don't think it's rude, the dealer wants to make money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I'm a brand new owner of Paradigm Studio 10s! I won't have them till mid next week, but I'm excited to try them.


One question if anyone has suggestions: I'm trying to figure how to set them up. I don't have much space in my room, so setting them on a desk would be ideal space-wise, but I imagine I'll probably need isolating foam for that to sound sonicly decent. How bad would this be, versus speaker stands? Even with stands, I won't be able to place them all that far away from me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22507667


I'm a brand new owner of Paradigm Studio 10s! I won't have them till mid next week, but I'm excited to try them.

One question if anyone has suggestions: I'm trying to figure how to set them up. I don't have much space in my room, so setting them on a desk would be ideal space-wise, but I imagine I'll probably need isolating foam for that to sound sonicly decent. How bad would this be, versus speaker stands? Even with stands, I won't be able to place them all that far away from me.

I built my own TV stand and here is a pic of my Studio10 setup for my bedroom. They sound plenty good as they are, Soon the new Inspiation's will take their place. I used to have Klipsch RF7's and it was just too cramped when i bought my SVS PB12 NSD

I have no room for stands so this was my only choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22507937

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22507667


I'm a brand new owner of Paradigm Studio 10s! I won't have them till mid next week, but I'm excited to try them.

One question if anyone has suggestions: I'm trying to figure how to set them up. I don't have much space in my room, so setting them on a desk would be ideal space-wise, but I imagine I'll probably need isolating foam for that to sound sonicly decent. How bad would this be, versus speaker stands? Even with stands, I won't be able to place them all that far away from me.

I built my own TV stand and here is a pic of my Studio10 setup for my bedroom. They sound plenty good as they are, Soon the new Inspiation's will take their place. I used to have Klipsch RF7's and it was just too cramped when i bought my SVS PB12 NSD

I have no room for stands so this was my only choice.

I thought you had purchased some MilleniaOnes to replace the Klipsch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22507992


I thought you had purchased some MilleniaOnes to replace the Klipsch?

I did. I sold three of the Millenia Ones and kept the other two for rears. I go thru about 3 sets or more of speakers a year. Gone thru the Klipsch line and now working my way thru the Paradigm line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
If you have to put your speakers on a table our shelf, make sure the front edge of the table is flush with the front baffle of the speaker. This will minimize any sound bouncing off of the table.


Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJustin  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22506806


I do not currently own a sub but intend to buy one soon.

Would I gain anything upgrading my Monitor 3s (V1) to a pair of v2 Monitor 9s? I'm looking at $500 for the pair. Should I just put that money towards the sub?

Thanks!

Bumping for a response.


I can either keep my 3s and buy a sub or get the v.2 Monitors 9s. The gentlemen selling the 9s has a Paradigm PDR 10 available. Primary use is movies in a 2000 cubic foot room with laminate floors, I'm looking for better low-end than I'm getting with my Monitor 3s (using a Denon AVR-591 to drive them). During movies, if I increase the volume to make quiet dialogue audible, loud action scenes cause the 3s to clip. Of course, my lousy CC100 probably isn't helping there.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
If they are clipping, it is because the amp can provide enough juice to the speakers. Are you running the speakers as full range? Have you thought about upgrading your receiver first? Once the next generation is released, prices on receivers drop faster than driving a new car off the dealer lot. You can probably get a receiver capable of driving your speakers without clipping for under 500.


Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitadisciple  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22507287


Thanks for the reply, I ended up going with the 60's and the 490. I will be using it mainly for home theater and the 60's fill the room more then the 20's do and that is what I was looking for. I went with the 490 because the bass/midrange on both the 60's and 490 are the same size. I figured that the sound would mesh better that way instead of getting towers with 5.5 inch mid/bass driver and a center channel with 7 inch mid/bass driver.... not to mention the 590 is massive!!

For your questions my room is large but the listening area is small... 13x15. We sit 10 feet from where the towers will be placed. I listen to some 2 channel music, not as much as I used to, but I love music and I'm sure these speakers will see plenty of it.

BTW - I have the 60s and an SB12 sub. I cross them at 60, not 80, and I think the overall sound is much better. Get the added low end punch for both movies and music ( I suppose that it depends on what you listen to, but I think it is necessary) with a more seamless blend between the 60s and the sub. I really like the sound with a sub, and probably would not have purchased these if I thought I wasnt also going to have a sub. [Though not sure what I would have bought then because I did not want to go any bigger in size on the speakers.]


Very large room and I am extremely happy with the set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22508418


If you have to put your speakers on a table our shelf, make sure the front edge of the table is flush with the front baffle of the speaker. This will minimize any sound bouncing off of the table.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is a computer desk, so if they're flush with the front, they'd be literally on top of me. All I can do is place them on the back of the desk with about 3 feet of wood stretching out in front of them. Does anyone know if foam blocks like these would help at all for that, or should I give up before wasting my money:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-MOPAD-Isolation-Charcoal-speakers/dp/B0002D0B4K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350691191&sr=8-2&keywords=speaker+foam


I guess I'll find out how the speakers sound on my desk when they arrive, but I'm not sure if I should buy this foam or if it's a useless effort. Something tells me though with 3 feet of desk surface in front of them, even with the foam blocks, it might sound weird. Does anyone know if it's even worth trying to get this to work, or should I just abandon the idea and try to squeeze stands in this small room?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25740#post_22509885


This is a computer desk, so if they're flush with the front, they'd be literally on top of me. All I can do is place them on the back of the desk with about 3 feet of wood stretching out in front of them. Does anyone know if foam blocks like these would help at all for that, or should I give up before wasting my money:
http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-MOPAD-Isolation-Charcoal-speakers/dp/B0002D0B4K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350691191&sr=8-2&keywords=speaker+foam

I guess I'll find out how the speakers sound on my desk when they arrive, but I'm not sure if I should buy this foam or if it's a useless effort. Something tells me though with 3 feet of desk surface in front of them, even with the foam blocks, it might sound weird. Does anyone know if it's even worth trying to get this to work, or should I just abandon the idea and try to squeeze stands in this small room?

I guess let your ears do the talking and give it a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Try some textbooks and see if it makes a difference. Then, if you dont like the aesthetics you can replace them with the iso pads.


Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I am building a new theater and will be upgrading some of my system.


My current speakers are:


CC-370

ADP-170


My room is 21' by 11', carpeted, drywall.


What do you suggest I use for:


Mains budget $300-$600 for the pair

Rears budget $100-$300 for the pair maybe in wall speakers

Subwoofer budget undetermined
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25710#post_22509527


For $100 more you can pick up a pair of Monitor 11 v.6 on Audiogon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This. Used versions of v6 or v7 are not much more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz  /t/559431/paradigm-owners-thread/25740#post_22509544


If they are clipping, it is because the amp can provide enough juice to the speakers. Are you running the speakers as full range? Have you thought about upgrading your receiver first? Once the next generation is released, prices on receivers drop faster than driving a new car off the dealer lot. You can probably get a receiver capable of driving your speakers without clipping for under 500.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. I hope "clipping" is the right word. When it gets loud during an action scene (especially with a lot of bass), they make a farty, distorted noise and generally sound like crap, forcing me to lower the volume on the Denon. I had placed the fault on my speakers. I've only had the Denon AVR-591 for a little more than year. It replaced my venerable Denon AVR-3300, which was a much more expensive (and better quality) receiver. I noticed that the 591 is rated for 75W at 8 ohms and the 3300 for 105W at 8 ohms. I don't remember having as many issues when I had more power. Because I don't have a sub, my left, right, and center are set to large.


Unfortunately the 591 doesn't have pre-outs or I would just add an amp. I'm happy with it otherwise. Guess I need to visit the receiver forum, too.


Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Yeah, your receiver is definitely clipping. I suggest you stop pushing it so hard and set your speakers to small. Otherwise you will damage your speakers. The Denon you have is not meant to push high SPL when speakers are set to large and driving 5 channels. That's asking a lot, even from a high end receiver with class D amps. Before you do anything, set your speakers to small and try not to push them so hard. Then look for a receiver that puts out more power. Keep in mind, receivers, 99% of the time can't put out their rated power continuously without clipping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

 
25721 - 25740 of 38858 Posts
Top