AVS Forum banner

38701 - 38720 of 38852 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quick question
Hi
I have Prestige F85 for fronts, 55C for Center and 2000SW for sub. Powered by MRX-1120 and MCA325 for the fronts. On the sub it has cutoff dial and I have it set to 80. Just wondering if that is the correct setting.
Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
It doesn't matter if you use Lfe input (rca or xlr), it is Mrx 1120 crossover setup which regulate frequencies sent to sub. If you have a bypass graduate on knob, use it.
If you use rca input with an integrated hifi amp with rca preout, this knob allows you to choose frequencies you want to send to sub.
80hz crossover is standard.85f can dig at 37 hz at - 3db,sub crossover is generally optimum at double this value, here 74 hz. You sub is a monster, it must do nearly all bass work :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks it does sound good :). I don't have a bypass graduate knob. Always wondering if it could sound better. I suppose I could set at 74Hz and recalibrate but don't know if I'll bother.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Thanks it does sound good :). I don't have a bypass graduate knob. Always wondering if it could sound better. I suppose I could set at 74Hz and recalibrate but don't know if I'll bother.
Just crank the crossover knob all the way clockwise on your sub. That usually nullifies any problems.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Strange, my 10 years old pdr80 had bypass. Check the manual,even if it doesn't matter.
I was on the verge to buy a used sw2000 a year ago but it doesn't have high level input for using with my hifi amp(no sub output) ... Damn, what a gorgeous sub in cherry... 😢
My x15 is less beautiful and powerful but powerful enough 😂. And it has high level inputs

·
Registered
195 Posts
OMG! There is a bypass. If I turn the cut off frequency all the way to right it's By-pass. I've never read the instructions, just ran the perfect bass kit. Now I have to run it all over again!
Thanks for that. Pumped to see what will happen when I run that and ARC Genesis again! Guess I should read instructions more.LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ok a couple of questions. I noticed PBK is no longer offered and was wondering if ARC Genesis did both now. Anyways I ran PBK, then ARC Genesis. I am including screen shots of the subwoofer before and after. After is setting and leaving it on bypass instead of before where the cutoff was 80Hz. Big difference in the bass. Is this what I'm seeing in the graph?
First is before. 2nd is after. Is this the way I should leave it or should I put the cut off back in at 80Hz. Thanks

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
After is better. The first graph has a noticeable drop-off before 80Hz.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Sounds so much more intense now. It's like a new sub !!:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your sub can sustain 150 hz easely. Try the double rule with your other speakers in your avr setup. I put my atmos speakers(dig at 75hz) crossover to 150 hz, works fine

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks now I have to run a calibration without PBK and let Genesis do it's thing to see what difference there is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Could anyone in the know tell me what I would be missing out on between these two options.
1) Persona 3s mated with a Persona Sub
2) Persona 7s mated with a Persona Sub

·
Registered
91 Posts
If depends for purpose you will use it,more hc or Hifi.
Persona 3F+persona sub will allow you to dig at 12 hz, perfect for HC. Sub includes Arc room correction, perfect to nullify room dependance.it will cost you(only) 16500 dollars.

Persona 7 alone or with sub is not interesting for hc:alone, it digs only at 24 hz(not full range) and cost you 25000 dollars, much more than 3F+sub.With sub, 31500 dollars, for same result.

If you have 30000-35000 dollars to spend, the best choice is a pair of Persona 9h:full range(dig at 15 hz), Arc and no need of sub(no integration problem, 4 bass drivers in each speaker!!!)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Persona 3F+persona sub will allow you to dig at 12 hz, perfect for HC. Sub includes Arc room correction, perfect to nullify room dependance.it will cost you(only) 16500 dollars.

Persona 7 alone or with sub is not interesting for hc:alone, it digs only at 24 hz(not full range) and cost you 25000 dollars, much more than 3F+sub.With sub, 31500 dollars, for same result.

If you have 30000-35000 dollars to spend, the best choice is a pair of Persona 9h:full range(dig at 15 hz), Arc and no need of sub(no integration problem, 4 bass drivers in each speaker!!!)
So basically if you can confirm. The highs and the mids would be absolutely the same it's just the bottom and that would be different than the sevens which I know. So in the end if I let the Subwoofer takeover on the 3s I wouldn't be missing out on any spectrum of audio and they would play as loud and clear as it would with the 7s and sub

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Could anyone in the know tell me what I would be missing out on between these two options.
The difference is $16000CAD for the 7F combo. IMVHO, a sub (or two) from Funk Audio would seriously out-perform the Persona Sub: Subwoofers
You would have a noticeable increase in mid-bass with the 7F over the 3F, but I'm not sure it's worth the $16K that could be better used for better subwoofers and room treatments.

Reactions: Jonas2

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Low frequency extension, which with the sub won't be as big of a deal. And certainly the power handling capability - IF - you need it. The 7Fs are going to get louder, and I'm going to wager deliver less distortion in the low end with those drivers, but I don't know that you'd notice it. You'd probably need to be pretty loud at that point. 5F might be the happy medium really. It uses an extra driver that is not present in any of the other sacross the line. Don't know how that factors into the overall performance, might be a zero factor, but I do find it interesting. (also a scratch more sensitive by 1 whopping dB...) The mids and highs would be theoretically the same, yes, among all of them. Theoretically. If in doubt, contact Paradigm and get the story directly.

For that kind of coin, I'd probably not rely though on strictly speakers. I'm cautious about speakers with built-in powered subs anyway. And likely you'll be able to manage better responses with independent subs ideally placed vs. speakers that might not be in the prime locations for bass response. Me? I might entertain a pair of the 5Fs and a pair of bada$$ subs from Funk Audio. For as awesome as the 9Fs might be, I don't believe they'd compete with small speakers and nice independent subs placed ideally (if that is an option). That is IF you need that kind of heavy-duty bass action. Just my opinion though!

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
The difference is $16000CAD for the 7F combo. IMVHO, a sub (or two) from Funk Audio would seriously out-perform the Persona Sub: Subwoofers
You would have a noticeable increase in mid-bass with the 7F over the 3F, but I'm not sure it's worth the $16K that could be better used for better subwoofers and room treatments.
Ah, great minds think alike. Seriously, I was not trying to steal your Funk thunder, I was typing before I saw your post....:p;) Though a bit arrogant of me thinking I have a great mind....🙃

·
Registered
204 Posts
My method of thinking was the 3s and 7s have the same twetter and midrange. Woofers are different hence the power requirements and handling.. With either I would cross them over at 80 hz. I am far from an expert but in that situation I couldn't fathem what I would be missing. Don't know why the 7s would play louder in that scenario and the 3s cover the range down to 80hz. I figured I could save some money and achieve the same performance and at the same time power the 3s with the MCA525 I already have. But as stated, I'm no expert. Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The 7F has larger drivers that -may- give you more impact up to the woofer/mid crossover of 450Hz. There is only a 1.5" difference in driver size. I feel that you would get even better performance with the 5F, as it has a third 7" woofer (giving more cone area than the 7F) and actually has 3dB more efficiency than the 3F and 7F. (I think the Prestige 85F is the sweet-spot in that series for the same reason).
Don't worry, you have PLENTY of amplification with that MCA525...

38701 - 38720 of 38852 Posts