AVS Forum banner

38921 - 38927 of 38927 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, I would like to see a review as well. The 800F's measured pretty well on Audioholics.

I can't help but think something like the Revel F206 would completely destroy the 85F for about the same price point though. Large concessions must have to be made to build a monitor in North America and I really don't think companies like Para can compete because of that. Mind you, they seam to be very good at getting great sound out of their designs at least.
I A/B'd the 800F to the Prestige line...Prestige definitely a step up IMHO.
Would LOVE to hear the Revel F206's. Just hard to find in the State of Georgia. Couple places listed, but no show room or invalid URL.
Still haven't heard anything better than the Prestige line...still looking too. Personas were good, but didn't wow me. Could have been the tube amp as well...I like the highs.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I A/B'd the 800F to the Prestige line...Prestige definitely a step up IMHO.
Would LOVE to hear the Revel F206's. Just hard to find in the State of Georgia. Couple places listed, but no show room or invalid URL.
Still haven't heard anything better than the Prestige line...still looking too. Personas were good, but didn't wow me. Could have been the tube amp as well...I like the highs.

I don't doubt it as it's the next line up with a higher price tag and better build quantity.
I didn't get to do an A/B with the Towers unfortunately but, did compare the Monitor SE Atom/200B/Persona B and also wasn't blown away with the Persona's. Their build is amazing obviously but, I just didn't think they offered enough to justify the price difference(law of diminishing returns in effect). I have read more then once that when spending that kind of money one can find better performance else where vs the Persona's. I am starting to assume that is the case with the Prestige too. Paradigm just can't compete with companies like Revel that have even better test facilities(although Paradigm has likely the best in Canada), more R&D budget, and can offer much better build quality at the same price point due to the savings of building offshore. That's probably why they make the Monitor SE line offshore now(to be more competitive). It's just a competitive market and very hard to compete with offshore builds from other high end companies. I don't really think it is fair to conpare NA builds with offshore. What I would really like to compare is two Canadian options in the Prestige price range... The 85F vs Totem Acoustics Forest...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Does anyone have info on availability right now with Paradigm? I was told an inwall speaker is back ordered for a while. Anyone else hear anything?
I would wait a bit of I were you. I think Covid is having a large impact on their operations. They are normally great I hear but, I had 4 seperate warranty issues that required replacement with my setup. Not a good sign when 4 out of 9 speakers need replacement(they were good about replacement however)...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
What I would really like to compare is two Canadian options in the Prestige price range... The 85F vs Totem Acoustics Forest...
The Flagship PSB towers are worth a listen. Nathan Funk has speakers closer to the Persona prices.
Revel is almost impossible to find in Canada; at least, I can't find anything close to a dealer network. Outside of (maybe) Crutchfield Canada, you would have to import them; thus eliminating any cost savings for foreign-made speakers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Flagship PSB towers are worth a listen. Nathan Funk has speakers closer to the Persona prices.
Revel is almost impossible to find in Canada; at least, I can't find anything close to a dealer network. Outside of (maybe) Crutchfield Canada, you would have to import them; thus eliminating any cost savings for foreign-made speakers.
Yeah, I would like to hear them too.

My dream subwoofers are made by Funk actually. In a few years(just got the full Paradigm set this summer) I hope to pair a set of 18E's with a set of Towers in the 5K range for a premium 2.2 music setup in a dedicated listening room.

The Sound Room stocks them and I am guessing are an Authorized dealer(would have to email to confirm)...

It's not really about cost savings per se, it's just I have learned you often can get better materials, much better build quality, and better designs from a quality speaker company that carefully controls QC but, uses an offshore factory to build their monitors, or at least drivers, for the same money. It's sad, I know, as I love to support North American companies but, from my experience(in several hobbies aside from audio as well) you just can't beat the build quality they can achieve in those foreign factories for anywhere close to the same cost here(often even costs aside as they have better, brand new machinery that is superior to many domestic factories). Just something I have come to realize over the years with other hobbies and this one is no different but, YMMV of course.

Now, that said, my Paradigm's sound great and are fairly nicely built. The other huge benefit to domestic built speakers is warranty and customer support(Paradigm has been good with both). It's really nice having the factory so close...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Well, you're not going to get a love of love for Harman products on a Paradigm owners thread.
Even the F206 is more expensive than the 85F, as long as the pricing is per pair. If not, then they are encroaching on Persona prices. The 3-way centre is a ridiculous price - $1000CAD more than the 55C. It's too bad that store is over half a continent away from me, as it would be worth it for an audition.
I have said it a few times on her, I auditioned the 85F with the Kef R900 and Klipsch RF-7iii using the same electronics/source material.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, you're not going to get a love of love for Harman products on a Paradigm owners thread.
Even the F206 is more expensive than the 85F, as long as the pricing is per pair. If not, then they are encroaching on Persona prices. The 3-way centre is a ridiculous price - $1000CAD more than the 55C. It's too bad that store is over half a continent away from me, as it would be worth it for an audition.
I have said it a few times on her, I auditioned the 85F with the Kef R900 and Klipsch RF-7iii using the same electronics/source material.
Yes, I'm not hell bent on Revel anyway and will still audition the the 85F as I have always liked Paradigm and love that their factory is driveable distance from my current location. Harmon is responsible for a lot of the research and improvements in this field though and likely owns one of the best test facilities in the world so should definitely be respected.

Yes, about $700 more MSRP(for both) but, definitely same ballpark along with the Totem Forest and a bunch of other viable options.

The three way C208 is for the next line up, the C206 is for the F206. The C208 has 8" drivers and would outperform the 55C(probably by a lot).

Yeah, me too, I'd love to hear them. That's one problem with this hobby, it's really hard to audition different models from different brands and even harder in the same room.

Nice, how did the KEF's compare? I must say my 800F's sound quite a bit nicer then some other models I have heard in their price range(at least without a good back to back). Some of those models did have much nicer materials though.

38921 - 38927 of 38927 Posts