AVS Forum banner

39881 - 39900 of 40058 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
No honestly i hope there are many that still are wanting to upgrade to some good used prestige speakers because it will make them relatively easy to sell off they still are some great speakers
I'm about an hour in, listening to my new Founders 100F's, 90C, and Prestige SW1000. Getting interrupted with phone calls as I try to enjoy. I'll post more later but briefly-these things have some punch. Great clarity from the center as well. I was hoping for something close to the Prestige 95F's that I've heard so often-I'm more than happy already. These certainly surpass the Studio 60's I had. I'm running on the last YPAO (Yamaha) settings I was enjoying with the Studio's. I'm just going to leave it there for a few days before I run ARC and another room correction off the Yamaha.
I have Walnut and I love the finish. Like any other speaker-much better looking in person.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
After a very long time waiting and saving, I ordered the persona 3F and C the other day in Aria metallic blue! Not sure if anyone on here like the white woofers, so I was able to get the custom black metal, and woofers at no charge. And depending on what paradigm dealer is in your local area, I was able to get the 20 % discount with a trade in of my old paradigms. Should be a few weeks until they arrive, I'll post pics when I have them set up!
Congrats! Loving mine, they are sounding better and better with 100+ hrs breaking in now. Incredible sound and looks.

Send some pics when you get them setup!

·
Registered
19 Posts

The studio 100s, and CC690 have been good speakers for many years, excited for this new upgrade. I did get a chance to see the new founder series and I like the looks of the black fronts compared to the prestige silver cones. Beautiful design on the new founders.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
View attachment 3119768

The studio 100s, and CC690 have been good speakers for many years, excited for this new upgrade. I did get a chance to see the new founder series and I like the looks of the black fronts compared to the prestige silver cones. Beautiful design on the new founders.
What version studio 100s and CC690 are those? Looks different than my old ones. (I had the Studio 60 v4 and CC690 v5).

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
I think you are finding numerous ways to convince yourself don’t upgrade- good for you- i am going to give you some more advice —don’t listen to the new founders ever or don’t go see them in person and don’t look at or read any more reviews, and you will be content with the prestige you already have
Everything in that partial start up review is exactly to the tee everything i have already posted well over the last week plus
If someone acts fast you might find some prestige stuff in my garbage can lol 😝
Nope, don't plan to upgrade, not the 85Fs anyway. I will go see them and listen to them as I've got a local dealer very close to me (though they specialize in car audio, they do have a Paradigm "theater"....). I am quite interested to see and listen to them. Quite content with Prestige, and will remain so, but I don't doubt the Founders are better. I already mentioned, since I don't really see the center speaker in my setup, I'd entertain the idea of upgrading the center since as you mentioned it blended nicely with your 95Fs. But I humbly apologize for having an opinion on aesthetics, I'll be sure to mind my place from now on....

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 100s are V3, center is V4.
My center channel had a noticeable difference in the midrange and tweeters compared to the older version on the 100's. I heard the personas when they came out and thought, id never be able to afford them. Have auditioned many other speakers from Kef, BMW, Sonus Faber, Focal, and like brands in this price point, but kept comparing everything to the persona line. The seperation and imaging of these are amazing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
After a very long time waiting and saving, I ordered the persona 3F and C the other day in Aria metallic blue! Not sure if anyone on here like the white woofers, so I was able to get the custom black metal, and woofers at no charge. And depending on what paradigm dealer is in your local area, I was able to get the 20 % discount with a trade in of my old paradigms. Should be a few weeks until they arrive, I'll post pics when I have them set up!
That’s a great combination! I was considering the Silver with the black metalwork, grills , and woofers but ended up with the Carbon black to match my JL Audio sub.

I have had my 3Fs for exactly 3 weeks and they sound fantastic!

Post pictures when you get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Waiting on a call from a dealer so I can go demo the 40B’s. I would also like to see more detailed pics of the Founder series on the Paradigm website.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nope, don't plan to upgrade, not the 85Fs anyway. I will go see them and listen to them as I've got a local dealer very close to me (though they specialize in car audio, they do have a Paradigm "theater"....). I am quite interested to see and listen to them. Quite content with Prestige, and will remain so, but I don't doubt the Founders are better. I already mentioned, since I don't really see the center speaker in my setup, I'd entertain the idea of upgrading the center since as you mentioned it blended nicely with your 95Fs. But I humbly apologize for having an opinion on aesthetics, I'll be sure to mind my place from now on....
I apologize, i was not trying to offend anyone or distract from any opinions, everyone is going to have different tastes, but the new founder's do blend in quite well with the existing prestige line of speakers - there is some noticeable difference in the mids and highs (clarity) - i was just quite shocked on how well Paradigm designed the new center speaker because it truely sounds like you have a matching LCR set up without having a matching tower in the middle behind a screen,
it doesn't sound like you just have another made to fit surround speaker sitting under your screen - best way i can describe it - it just has more impact for sure
i was really only looking for a little upgrade in the center and wound up with a little more than i thought it would be. I really do think it would add something to your existing system and blend in quite well with the 85f prestige - i played around with numerous scenarios for days and the 90C blended in quite nicely with the 95f's - so i may consider changing my room in design to have 95f's for front wides - i am using 95f's for rears currently - this would allow for towers in much of the bottom bed sound.
Just changing the center speaker alone from the 55C to the 90C made the biggest difference overall.
I am sure once we see more reviews that include the 90C center we will get more opinions than just mine - so far the few that i have seen on the 100f towers they have been identical to what i have posted as of late.

I have been looking into why i feel the Elite E80R's don't have the impact that the paradigm SA30's had in my living room for atmos- i have to consider - I did all the calibrations in my living room set up with the Marantz/audyssey and from what i read most people have to bump the atmos up a couple of levels in the calibration with Marantz ?- not sure how Chad B did this but i am quite sure he knows what he is doing and he level matched everything the way it should be - maybe i or audyssey had the atmos elevated a little too much, which is why i think they are not as dramatic - I am afraid to touch anything he calibrated because the way he has everything set up the sound in my room is pretty amazing. I may download the Marantz app on my phone just to look at it and see if it gives me a rough idea where they are set at - if i screw something up i have back ups of everything as well as Chad B. I don't have anything outputting from the Marantz to the projector so no OSM - Everything goes from Pana 9000 to Lum Rad Pro - to Projector - there is only an input to the Marantz for audio from Lum Rad Pro - All the equipment is outside the room so even makes matters worse when you are trying to tweak things.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quick question for those who would know: the Founders 100F have down firing ports. Since there is no port behind the speaker, does it matter how close to the wall the speaker is placed?
The Founders are knocking me out. It feels like I am sitting five feet closer to them than I actually am-comparing them to my previous Studio's. I will do ARC and YPAO in a few days. Listened and watched the Stanley Jordan Trio on BluRay last night. Very immersive with incredible detail.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quick question for those who would know: the Founders 100F have down firing ports. Since there is no port behind the speaker, does it matter how close to the wall the speaker is placed?
The Founders are knocking me out. It feels like I am sitting five feet closer to them than I actually am-comparing them to my previous Studio's. I will do ARC and YPAO in a few days. Listened and watched the Stanley Jordan Trio on BluRay last night. Very immersive with incredible detail.
I’ve always heard you should redo your calibration when introducing new speakers or a new sub. Not sure why you wouldn’t do that.

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
I apologize, i was not trying to offend anyone or distract from any opinions, everyone is going to have different tastes, but the new founder's do blend in quite well with the existing prestige line of speakers - there is some noticeable difference in the mids and highs (clarity) - i was just quite shocked on how well Paradigm designed the new center speaker because it truely sounds like you have a matching LCR set up without having a matching tower in the middle behind a screen,
it doesn't sound like you just have another made to fit surround speaker sitting under your screen - best way i can describe it - it just has more impact for sure
i was really only looking for a little upgrade in the center and wound up with a little more than i thought it would be. I really do think it would add something to your existing system and blend in quite well with the 85f prestige - i played around with numerous scenarios for days and the 90C blended in quite nicely with the 95f's - so i may consider changing my room in design to have 95f's for front wides - i am using 95f's for rears currently - this would allow for towers in much of the bottom bed sound.
Just changing the center speaker alone from the 55C to the 90C made the biggest difference overall.
I am sure once we see more reviews that include the 90C center we will get more opinions than just mine - so far the few that i have seen on the 100f towers they have been identical to what i have posted as of late.
And to be clear - I definitely DO appreciate all of the info you are supplying here, and the time you are taking to experiment and post.

I’ve always heard you should redo your calibration when introducing new speakers or a new sub. Not sure why you wouldn’t do that.
Absolutely must do!

·
Registered
294 Posts

Oh I will for sure. I just want to give it a few days to better 'hear' the difference after it's calibrated. And to be honest, I need to learn more about ARC before I run it. I ran PBK a few years ago but I've forgotten what adjustments I have to make when targets aren't hit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, manufacturers do say this. Do they ever say WHY? Haven't seen that (admittedly, I haven't LOOKED for it either). BUt I do understand why both manufacturers and dealers would say this. Of course yours don't sound the same as when you auditioned them, there is so much factoring into that. I imagine they will sound better to you as time goes on, as you become accustomed to them in your space and your setup. My speakers don't sound the same as when I auditioned them either since I auditioned in rooms actually designed for that purpose. My room is far from it. I immediately noticed the difference. They still sound great, but different for sure. And they sound the same today as they did on day one. Now, I'm no golden ear, nor some kind of trained listener, so that could factor into it of course. Could also be a personal bias as a non-believer of any kind of extended break-in, as well as the expectation for a different sound due to differences in the spaces. But my guess is that the speakers were broken in before I even bought them. Assuming the factory bothered to power them up and test them briefly before assembly.

Yeah, unfortunately to be accurate I'd think that one would need to test them in a different setting with accurate measuring equipment that most of us I'd imagine don't have. Maybe you do. You'd likely find some changes due to "break-in" that are likely not audible. It's all good though. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Again each to their own - and I don't fault anybody in either camp.
I was told by Paradigm that the reason for the break in period is that the fluid in the coils needs to settle. It all discombobulated during shipping.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Needed a little help to choose one of these 2 options. Which would be best for side and rear surround for a 7.2.4.
My system so far consists L/R 95f/ CC 55c / 90C, 4 in Ceiling CI Pro 80R and soon 2 subs ( still searching for subs most likely either SVS or Rythmik).

Options 1 Use the Millenia 20 for sides and surrounds and put the tweeter 1 feet above the head.
Option 2 Use Paradigm 15B book shelves for the rears and Millenia 20 for the sides.
All placed with the tweeter about 1 feet above the head to have space between them and the ceiling speakers.
For 2 years I do not have to think about speakers , till the next upgrade. They will be powered by either the Anthem MCA 525 or the Parasound. Room is 15 by 21 , ceiling height is 9.

Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
Paradigm replaced there webpage picture when you open their site it shows what appears to be the 120H's very hard to tell if these are Gloss Piano black or the black walnut ones because of the forward angle - audio/tv stand fireplace and other surroundings are gloss black - New better images of new models would be beneficial for all to see - Oh well

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
In a nutshell, no it shouldn't matter. It is usually only a problem when ports are VERY close. The closer you move the speaker towards the wall the more bass/lower midrange boost you will get. That will happen with or without a port. Also, if using a sub most of the time (depending on tuning of port) the port wouldn't matter even if very close to the wall as the sub would be handling those frequencies and not speaker/port.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts

Glad you're happy. You won't have a port issue close the wall, but you will get somewhat more bass from the boundary reinforcement and less soundstage depth w/close to the wall placement. Experiment w/placement. Experiment too with and without room correction on the mods and highs (don't know if you can bass only w/YPAO but def can with ARC). Depending on your room and particularly for music, you light like the sound better without.

39881 - 39900 of 40058 Posts