Parasound HCA-1201A (Mono Blocks)

Sony 7700 DVD

Currently, I'm running an M&K S-150THX system consisting of the following:

S-150's (LCR)

Tripoles (Sides)

S-125's (Rears)

MX-150THX (Sub)

Love the sound, but thinking of an upgrade. Here's what I'm thinking:

Sell the S-125's and add another pair of S-150's for the rears - PLUS - sell the MX-150 sub and get TWO MX-350 subs. This would give me five S-150's, Tripoles at the sides, plus the two subs.

OR

Sell the entire M&K system, and move to Paradigm Reference. Here's what I would get:

Studio 100's (v2) - Front left/right AND Rear left/right

Studio CC Center

Studio ADP's (sides) - or possibly the Studio 40's

Servo 15 sub (possibly two)

Questions:

Is the Reference Studio CC center a decent speaker? Comparable to the M&K S-150 center? I've read a lot on the Studio 100's and the reviews all seem to be great - same for the Servo 15 sub.

I'm really interested in being able to run the front Left and Right - along with the rear Left and Right - at full range, since the Studio 100's would be able to handle the bass.

What do you all think? Like I said, I'm really happy with the M&K's - and would be happier with the "fuller" M&K system - but the Paradigm's have me intrigued. I listen to a lot of 7.1 music on the MC-1 (Music Logic, Panorama, etc.) and don't want to "spoil?" the sound using a center speaker that's so different from the mains and rears.

Interested in any feedback.

Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would put it this way. In an ideal world you will have 7 of the same speakers all around. I have listened to the same speakers you are considering and I like them both and I believe you will too!

Due to size and cost Studio 100's all around may not be an option but an idea that I have thought about is using the Studio 40's all around. Use a multiple sub setup to fill in the LFE. and that may be the best of both worlds. Now if you like the M&K's, using S-150's all around will be awesome too! For H.T. use having the 3 identical speakers up front will provide a seemless sound path upfront which the M&K's provide. Plus look at ll the recording sound studios using them!!

For Paradigm's, I think the Studio 40's are the best match for the Studio CC since it the same driver configuration just using a horizontal cabinet. For Music listening I tip my hat to the Paradigms because they seem to give a tighter punch on the bass which I prefer.

So the only logic thing to do is build 2 systems..1 for music..then 1 for movies! :)

Good Luck

Michael

p.s. I found this sight selling M&K's cheap! www.onestopav.com

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I like the M&K's and would stay with them. You could sell your surrounds and get the new SS-250 surrounds. They are the same as the fronts, but have side firing drivers as well, making them tripole.

John

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
the dual 350s would also have a ton more headroom over a single servo15...at least down to the 23-26hz range.

TV

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have an M&K setup, part of which includes dual MX-350 subs. I have had many fellow hobbyist over and all have had the same response... WOW!

I do not think that you could go wrong with this.

Side note the SS-250 is not a good match for the S-150, as it matches the S-250 (I should know as this is what I have). The ss-250 is also cost prohibitive, in that it is more than the S-250. Try the SS-200, which I am using withexcellent results.

Joel

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a paradigm reference system (100's) with only one servo 15. I can tell you that the center speaker is a perfect match to the 100's. More so than any other combo I've heard. It was only with this center speaker that I've been able to tolerate using the center along with the mains for music. I have not heard the M&K system but from what I've *read* they aren't as much of a musical speaker as others (including paradigm). Also, the 100's do go very low. The strength of the servo 15 is its depth -- it goes very, very low -- and ability to blend in with speakers and virtually disappear. I think there are other subs that may go louder for the money, but you're getting very deep, clean, powerful bass with it. Best of luck

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
I have not heard the M&K system but from what I've *read* they aren't as much of a musical speaker as others (including paradigm).
Oh, I dunno. Even Wes Phillips at Stereofool conceded:

"The M&K system proved to sound natural, dynamic, and detailed. It's certainly one of the best I've ever heard."

http://www.stereophile.com/fullarchives.cgi?137

·
Registered
190 Posts
While I'm sure Wes is correct in his assessment, and I in no way intended to criticize M&K, I've seen several other reviews that characterize M&K speakers as accurate monitors for soundstage mixing and such, but not necesarily the audiophile's choice for musical pleasure. I was just passing that along. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Joel, sorry but, I disagree with you here on the use of the SS-200's for the surrounds. You can use them, but for best results with the 150's use the SS-250's. Even M&K recommends them for this setup as well as other reviewers of them. I did have a chance to here them with the 150's and they were a perfect match for them. I plan on getting the SS-250's for my setup.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.