AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1384 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin /forum/post/15458037

I'm not saying 20Hz mode sucks, I'm sorry if you misinterpret my comment.

Not at all. Just adding the comment.
You get four subs in one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone seen this sub yet? Or better yet, have one? I think it could be had for about $3k. Not bad at all. I currently have the Servo 15 v2 and love it. But for a little more, wondering what this sub can do?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVidGuy /forum/post/15716832

Anyone seen this sub yet? Or better yet, have one? I think it could be had for about $3k. Not bad at all. I currently have the Servo 15 v2 and love it. But for a little more, wondering what this sub can do?

I'm wondering the same. I think the street price will be in the mid to high $3k.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/15454412

That link also shows you how good a sealed sub can be (re: JL113). I think this is more of what Paradigm has its sights set on. With the PBK, it has the potential of sounding extremely good in real world situations with good ease of setup too. I'm looking forward to seeing what this sub can do, the high voltage option is kind of intriguing, it's definitely a new innovation that maybe inspire other sub makers to do the same.

I hope other sub makers don't follow suit on this. I don't want to have to rewire my house and have electrical run just for a subwoofer upgrade.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/0

Question. Let's say the SUB 25 can't do 9hz at 110db, but it does at 100db. Are there any subs that can do that? I'm just asking.

The Epik Conquest measured almost 104 dB's at 12 Hz (by Tom Nousaine) in a massive 7500 cubic ft room at a 2 m distance. This is the most powerful subwoofer ever tested by Tom Nousaine.

I have my doubts that the Paradigm sub will muster any perceivable output down to 9 Hz. It might measure some output at 9 Hz but I don't think it will matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin /forum/post/0

100dB at 9Hz is impossible as well. It might barely exceed 100dB at 20Hz at best. It will produce 90-92dB at best at 9hz.

100 dB's at 9 Hz might be unattainable but certainly not at 20 Hz. Certainly not in an average sized room (ie not 7500 cu ft) unless it's in a gymnasium. Now I may be the poster boy for making theoretical claims based on extrapolating test data, but you can't be certain that it will reach "90-92 dB's at best at 9 Hz" either. In what size room and what distance from source are we talking ?

It actually could perform pretty darn well for all we know in the right sized room with a transfer function complimenting the 2nd-order roll-off of the design [technical cap on]. It obviously will have decent amounts of EQ to shape the response curve down low. Doesn't mean it will have low distortion down low but it might not be as shabby as you think.

Regards,

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
With all that power available and a 3 inch excursion, don't you think that would help its chances?

A 4 horsepower amp and 3 inch excursion sounds mightily impressive and it is, but look at it this way. That power and displacement is required to achieve the necessary equalization to shape the response curve down low. If it is to achieve low extension with low distortion (in a sealed box) then high displacement is really a necessity. I'm sure it'll be a great performer though.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
I just saw a blurb in the "Coming Attractions" in the April 2009 Home Theater magazine (page 22).

As usual there has been an AVS thread on this for months.

It does suggest to me (along with a blurb on a 30amp power conditioner on the same page) that I will have to re-think power connections on any future HT projects (currently 15a and 20a lines).

Mike

PS - Has CraigSub said anything about testing?

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I bought one of these units (Serial #58) and have been running an A-B comparison with my Velodyne F-1800R 18" sub maufactured in Nov. of 1997.

I am operating the unit on 120 volts.

Initial impression is I cannot tell a difference. I want the Signature to sound better to justify its purchase, but I cannot do that at present. I am strictly classical music, and I haven't played my TELARC SACD's yet.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo /forum/post/16003670

Initial impression is I cannot tell a difference. I want the Signature to sound better to justify its purchase, but I cannot do that at present. I am strictly classical music, and I haven't played my TELARC SACD's yet.

I'm shocked.

Have you tried listening to other type of music? Maybe the grunt of the SUB 25 will be more obvious.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I wouldn't expect much of a difference with music. Both subs are very similar in principle. If calibrated to similar levels , why wouldn't they sound almost alike? It would probably take a movie soundtrack with deep, heavy bass to tell them apart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
tried it with 20amp breaker, good improvement compared to the servo 15v1,then I put on the 30 amp breaker , huge upgrade in performance!1.Try moving it around in the room if possible. I went from right side of centre channel to left, it filled the 13X16 room better with less vibration

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo /forum/post/16003670

I bought one of these units (Serial #58) and have been running an A-B comparison with my Velodyne F-1800R 18" sub maufactured in Nov. of 1997.

I am operating the unit on 120 volts.

Try connecting the sub to 240 volts!! Also do you have the Perfect Bass Kit to calibrate the sub with????

Could you please take some high resolution pictures of the unit and post them here?? Anyone?

I am still in the market for a new sub and the Sub 25 is currently at the top of my list... I might also consider a pair of the new Sub 15's along with the PBK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/16004005

I wouldn't expect much of a difference with music. Both subs are very similar in principle. If calibrated to similar levels , why wouldn't they sound almost alike? It would probably take a movie soundtrack with deep, heavy bass to tell them apart.

+1 but again I am curious if he calibrated his sub with the Perfect Bass Kit..

Thanks,

s

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin /forum/post/16003930

I'm shocked.

Have you tried listening to other type of music? Maybe the grunt of the SUB 25 will be more obvious.

The Velodyne does seem more smooth. The Sub 25 exhibits more of a "thump".

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Looks like a nice sub to me. Seems to be aimed directly at the JL F113/ DD18 market. I'd like to see the comparo done. 95-100db in a moderate size room at 9hz may not be out of line considering the physics involved. Outdoors, or in a gymnasium? Of course not.

Mikey Mo,

Velodyne has always been known as SQ first and foremost. I wouldn't expect any sub to significantly outperform them at moderate levels with typical material. Throw some crazy deep bass at them both, or jack the level up to more gratuitous levels and see what happens.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo1 /forum/post/15270630

They kinda screwed up on the power requirements... That should read 20 amp circuit on a 220v line, and a 30amp circuit on a 110v circuit..

"Due to the incredibly high power and tremendous output the SUB 25's grille is non-removable."
Give me a freakin break..

Yes, I read that error too.

I wonder how much that thing must (power) consuming too.

21 - 40 of 1384 Posts