AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1384 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Smith /forum/post/16363609


My review of the SUB 25 will be posted on Hometheatersound.com on May the 1st.


Yes, very nice to see you here Randall....


Participation on writers part is always very welcome, Kal Rubinson has been here for years, and is always a great help to pop some of the balloons that get somewhat inflated around here from time to time...


Always love to see honest educated thoughts instead of biased opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Smith /forum/post/16375558


Thanks a lot guys. The site has already posted the review, so take a look if you would like.

That is an excellent review, thanks.


I am curious about this quote:


"According to Paradigm, this amp is capable of producing 3000W of power into a "real" load. Considering that only 1800W of continuous power is available from the wall outlet, how do they do this? Paradigm uses their DSP chip to perform what they call Power Factor Correction, which allows the amp to deliver anywhere from 3000W to 4000W for up to a few seconds"


Did you test the Sub 25 connected to a 120V line only and not with a 240V line that Paradigm recommends? Or did Paradigm revise the power output down from the originally stated 7500W peak?


Thanks,

s
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznit /forum/post/16375889


That is an excellent review, thanks.


I am curious about this quote:


"According to Paradigm, this amp is capable of producing 3000W of power into a "real" load. Considering that only 1800W of continuous power is available from the wall outlet, how do they do this? Paradigm uses their DSP chip to perform what they call Power Factor Correction, which allows the amp to deliver anywhere from 3000W to 4000W for up to a few seconds"


Did you test the Sub 25 connected to a 120V line only and not with a 240V line that Paradigm recommends? Or did Paradigm revise the power output down from the originally stated 7500W peak?


Thanks,

s

I should have noted that the SUB 25 was connected to a 110 outlet.


The specs say that the sustained output of the amp is 3000 watts for a few seconds with a dynamic peak of 7500 watts, which I assume is only possible for a split second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
I can't believe that plugging this sub into a 220v source vs a 110v source would make any difference at all. The powersupply is simply converting 220 to 110 anyway.


Maybe in an absolutley extreme volume level, it might make a difference.


It is the capacitors that give it such a huge wattage rating. This is output in micro seconds, not minutes.


Specs tend to get way over read. The important thing is how this sub sounds. Paradigm seems to have done a good job engineering it, so I hope it lives up to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
So IF it is limited to 1800watts(power from an outlet) any higher power ratings are based on capacitor specs in the amp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls200p /forum/post/16379270


So IF it is limited to 1800watts(power from an outlet) any higher power ratings are based on capacitor specs in the amp?

You would need an oscilloscope to test the amp to really know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,962 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't check how deep it played. I'd like to know what kind of extension it has before it hits -3db.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07
I'm guessing you didn't check how deep it played. I'd like to know what kind of extension it has before it hits -3db.
In my room, I was able to achieve sub 15 Hz output in room. Attached is an in-room response of the SUB 25 at the listening position. This was taken early on and before I installed the PBK-1 room correction.

 

SUB 25- pre PBK-1.doc 33.5k . file
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Nice review. The JL enjoyed quite a while on top for the comercially available sealed subs. I am sure this will "inspire" other manufacturers to new performance levels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Smith /forum/post/16375558


Thanks a lot guys. The site has already posted the review, so take a look if you would like.

Tell me if I am being unfair, but every page on the hometheatersound website has a top and bottom banner advertisement for Anthem or Paradigm. Your only choice was to give this piece of equipment a glowing review. Not that HiFi reviewers need to avoid the appearance of conflict the way that a judge does, but when every page of the website contains an ad from the manufacturer of the product you are reviewing, I think it's reasonable to question the objectivity of the review. This may be a great sub, but I have to discount the value of this review on the basis of conflict of interest.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20 Posts
Sorry that you feel that way. Yes, Anthem/Paradigm is among our biggest advertisers, but that has nothing to do with the result of the review. Almost every audio publication is advertiser driven, just the way it is. The Soundstage! Network has built a reputation of being fair, objective, as well as factually correct for more than a decade, so unless you know that there is a conflict of interest, it is unfair for you to suggest it.


I challenge your listening impressions of this subwoofer to discount my review rather than allowing an advertising banner to do it. Thats the fair way to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
I don't think anyone has done anything malicious, and I don't mean to even impugn your integrity, and I apologize if I have. I don't intend to accuse you of being dishonest. But real world, is there any way a negative review of this product could have been publised? Can you point to an example of a negative review that the Soundstage network (not you particularly) has given to a significant product of a significant advertiser? That would probably cause me to change my view that the value of the review should be discounted. But otherwise, it strikes me as difficult to believe that someone can give a neutral review of a major advertiser/customer. I doubt I could in my business.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20 Posts
Well, I agree on many of your points, you do not see many negative reviews of an audio product, regardless of whether or not someone is an advertiser or not. Also, not sure if you have noticed this in the past, but advertisers tend to buy more advertisement the month their product is being reviewed. That isn't only true of our website, its true of all audio publications. However, this doesn't mean that the reviews are falsely positive.


As always, people should not buy solely based upon a positive review of a product. Hopefully, readers will come to respect a reviewers past work and take his or her opinion for what its worth, then make a choice of which audio products they wish to audition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchuva /forum/post/16393355


Can you point to an example of a negative review that the Soundstage network (not you particularly) has given to a significant product of a significant advertiser?

Truthfully, I don't think I've read a negative review of a piece of audio equipment before on any audio review site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin /forum/post/16393622


Truthfully, I don't think I've read a negative review of a piece of audio equipment before on any audio review site.

I have read negative reviews before, and could point a couple out if required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Smith /forum/post/16393454


Well, I agree on many of your points, you do not see many negative reviews of an audio product, regardless of whether or not someone is an advertiser or not. Also, not sure if you have noticed this in the past, but advertisers tend to buy more advertisement the month their product is being reviewed. That isn't only true of our website, its true of all audio publications. However, this doesn't mean that the reviews are falsely positive.


As always, people should not buy solely based upon a positive review of a product. Hopefully, readers will come to respect a reviewers past work and take his or her opinion for what its worth, then make a choice of which audio products they wish to audition.

I also agree on several of your points. I think this particular case stands out because of the extent of the Anthem/Paradigm ads on the website. From my cursory review, the Anthem/Paradigm ads far exceed ads for other brands/products on the site.


For full disclosure, I am also a little biased. I am about to pull the trigger on the Fathoms and I hate reading that they have been knocked off as King of the Hill by the Paradigm.
I am really going to have to look into therapy. I am taking all of this too seriously. But subwoofer problems are some of the best problems to have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Do reviewers really pay retail for the equipment they review? If that's true, such purchases would impress me. If not, they are just making a smart business decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,962 Posts
Audio reviews have changed since Bose attempted to sue Consumer Reports back in the early 90's for a bad review. I agree that most reviews tend to be "nice" to products they seem not to enjoy. I'm not just speaking about this publication, but pretty much most of them. On a side note, your review was well written Randall. I only wish you could put up a few more numbers for the equipment
 
41 - 60 of 1384 Posts
Top