AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some suggestions for a home theater speaker setup to compare to the Paradigm Reference Studio 40/Series 2 setup. The setup includes two Studio 40's, Studio CC (center), Studio ADP (surround) and Servo 15 (powered sub). The package price for a 5.1 setup looks to be around $3800. What else should I consider.

I will be powering them with a Yamaha RX-V3000 (100W per channel) most likely.

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was about to purchase a similar setup: Studio 60, Studio CC and Studio 20 surround (i'd have gone with the ADP if my room setup was more appropriate).

Instead, I've decided to go with B&W 603 S2 front, LCR6 center, and either 601 S2 or 303 for the rears.

In your case, since the 40's are stand mount, a comparable setup would be 602 S2 Front, LCR6 center, and DS6 surround.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Have you checked out the Diva thread on this Forum? Their website is www.**********. It's a funny thing about the 40's. They are neither bookshelf nor floor standers. I auditioned them when shopping for speakers and thought they were the best of the Reference line with the exception of the 100's. I really liked their sound and they seemed to be a really good buy. I think you can get a pair for $800.00 to $900.00 dollars??

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Forgot about the sub.:D. A lot of discussion has gone into this subject, but on this Forum at least, a lot of people like the SVS subs as a bigger bang for the buck. Also consider the Velo HGS15 and the much less expensive Hsu vt-2.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have spent the last 10 - 11 months trying to decide what speakers to get. (Note that my search/auditioning was interrupted for quite some time due to two knee operations). However, I have finally made my decision.......and will order them on 12/15 :D (pending receipt of certain funds; assuming no unexpected expenses that might require me to delay my purchase :mad: )..........

Studio/40's (front), /CC, /20's (rear - I don't have side wall configuration to support /ADP's). I want to get the PW2200 sub but WAF is low due to it's dimensions (jury is still out, though). Best price quoted me was 16.64% off MSRP (from an authorized dealer) for the entire pacakge including 1 pair of Premier J-50 stands and 1 pair of J-60's.

My short list included:
Paradigm Studio/20's (for fronts, instead of the /40's) - No contest. The /40's really opened up the mid range.
PSB Mini's - Part of my decision was based on astetics. The Mini's looked too bulky; low WAF (no "ugly' boxes that would stand out in our livingroom). Sonicly, lower efficiency - sounded 'weak' at exact same volume setting when A/Bing with Studio/20's, using same receiver.
Dynaudio Audiance 52's (compared to Studio/40's) - This was the closest comparison, hard decision, sonicly speaking. Part of my decision in choosing the Studio/40's was the cost (i.e. discount) factor.

It was recommended to me to also audition the B&W CDM 1NT but I didn't as it's MSRP $1,200 was beyond my budget (compared to approximate MSRP $900 (Studio/40 and Audiance 52).

Paradigm's Servo-15 is certainly an excellent sub (but it's MSRP $1,500 price tag didn't allow me to consider it).

By the way, my front end is a Yamaha RX-V1000.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mr Reorg:

1) I just drove to Canada to bring my paradigms. 2 x Active 40, at 25% from canadian prices - I got 2 sets for US list price of 1.

2) Consider SVS for subs. I am using PW-2200 for HT room; I will add SVS for music to A-40.

enjoy.

Kleks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.