AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - been out of the loop for a while, but being forced back in as I have been having issues with my Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp.

System: AV3801 used as the pre-amp, MM9000 (150 watts/channel x 5 THX ultra certified), Paradigm Reference Studio 80's, CC, and Paradigm 450 surrounds.

The MM9000 has been cutting out at even moderately high volumes - especially if there is an explosion in a movie I am watching. I hear an audible click, it goes in to protect mode (I am assuming) and then comes back on line after 10 seconds or so. This never used to occur, and I haven't changed anything with the system in over a year. I checked all my connections as well.

I am now considering upgrading the system as I have a feeling repairs are going to be expensive anyway, and I would love some of the new features (HDMI switching - don't laugh yes this a new feature when your system is 6 years old plus), auto room eq etc.

Can anyone supply a good recommendation for going to an AV receiver with enough horsepower to drive the studio 80's? Budget would be around the $1k mark and I'm ok with slightly used if still under warranty...

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazser /forum/post/18124669

Hi - been out of the loop for a while, but being forced back in as I have been having issues with my Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp.

System: AV3801 used as the pre-amp, MM9000 (150 watts/channel x 5 THX ultra certified), Paradigm Reference Studio 80's, CC, and Paradigm 450 surrounds.

The MM9000 has been cutting out at even moderately high volumes - especially if there is an explosion in a movie I am watching. I hear an audible click, it goes in to protect mode (I am assuming) and then comes back on line after 10 seconds or so. This never used to occur, and I haven't changed anything with the system in over a year. I checked all my connections as well.

I am now considering upgrading the system as I have a feeling repairs are going to be expensive anyway, and I would love some of the new features (HDMI switching - don't laugh yes this a new feature when your system is 6 years old plus), auto room eq etc.

Can anyone supply a good recommendation for going to an AV receiver with enough horsepower to drive the studio 80's? Budget would be around the $1k mark and I'm ok with slightly used if still under warranty...

Thanks!

A couple of options. Onkyo 876 alone, new from tiger direct. A Onkyo 707 and Emotiva XPA3 for the fronts and let the receiver do surround duties. Or a Yamaha 863 along with Emotiva XPA3 would also work well. These can get you started. If its just a receiver look at the 876, plenty of power,Audyssey Multi-Eq XT, THX Ultra certified, bridgeable in BTL mode for the front 2 speakers(200Watts+/channel) HD Radio and other thingies you might like.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.