Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

After listening to many 5.1 speaker setups, I've narrowed my choice

down to Paradigm Reference and Paradigm Monitor series speakers.

My listening habits are about 75% home theater (movies) and

25% music. I will be powering them with a Yamaha RX-V1400

receiver, which I haven't purchased yet but am leaning towards

this product. However, I'm open to change on the receiver.

I'm in the process of building a house, which will have a dedicated

HT room with 9 foot tall ceilings, 15.5 ft wide and 23 ft in length.

I've demoed both the Reference and Monitor series and am having

a little difficulty deciding between the two. The Paradigm Reference

series I've been offered (about $4,500) includes the Studio 40's

(fronts), CC470 (center), ADP 470 (surrounds) and a Seismic

12-subwoofer. The Monitor series includes ($3,700) Monitor 11's (fronts), CC370 (center), ADP 370 (surrounds) and 2xPW2100 sub.

The Reference series sounded better, but not sure if it sounded $800

better. The complicating factor is the two systems were in separate

showrooms at a local B&M hifi store. One room was a little larger than

my HT, while the other was smaller.

If you have listened to both series of Paradigm speakers, does it make

sense to just go with the Reference or should the Monitors be of close

to equal value?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

· Registered
36 Posts
I used the paradigm reference seies, to me they are a lot better than the monitor series. And for the yamaha avs1400, I don't think it's a good match(too bright), at least for me. you might want to conside denon or pioneer elite for the receiver. I had the yamaha for a month then change to the denon 3805.

· Registered
333 Posts
I'm usually one of the first to warn aginst Monitor vs Studio decisions but in this case given that you have the budget for either I'd go studios without a doubt.

My opiion only. For 75% HT Monitor 11s just seem like a waste of money. There big advantage over other Paridgm speakers are their Bass extension. If you are gonna have a sub or even 2 subs and cross over at 60 or 80 hz for HT what would be the purpose in the extra bass. Onlu mu opion but the Monitor 11s are not a good value.

Now there may be some things you want to consider with the Refernece series. What will be the price difference between 40s PLUS good stands and the 60s?

Are you sold on ADPs as the surrounds? You could consider studio 20s and save some money depending on what sound you like better.

The Seismic sounds like a good sub but given that it sounds like you have the room (2x Pw2100 take up a lot of roo,) and that the Seismics big feature is big performance from a small box what wabout a Servo 15 (or non Paradigm sub).

You could probaly get comperable or better performance (in the US) with an HSU or SVS sub and save quite a bit of money.

My vote. Go Reference series. Just think about some of the options I mentioned.

· Registered
133 Posts
While the decision about the speakers is up to you, I would recommend getting a different sub. Anything from HSU or SVS would poop all over any Paradigm sub (except Signature Servo, in which case it is tie).

-BigK35-

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigK35
While the decision about the speakers is up to you, I would recommend getting a different sub. Anything from HSU or SVS would poop all over any Paradigm sub

-BigK35-
BigK - can you quantify that a little please?? i.e. I know the PW2100 is a bit weak (if you're gonna go that route try two PW2200's) but the Seismic 12 subs have been given excellent reviews here and in other places. They put out a lot of good tight bass for their size! I hear a lot of great things about SVS & HSU too - but unless you've had an opportunity to A/B both - I don't know if your comment is warranted.

IMO - SVS/HSU are the best value for US buyers for sure - but don't think they 'poop' all over other subs - my PW2200 sounds fantastic - It handles everything I can throw at it - from Bass Outlaws to Finding Nemo - and at only $650 (US) in my home total price I doubt HSU or SVS in that price range would 'poop all over it'. For what it would cost me to get an SVS or HSU sub up here - a SERVO-15 could be had - and from what I have read the SERVO-15 is about the best you can get for music - including going against the HSU/SVS line - but may not match those subs for H/T.

· Banned
20,735 Posts
AS a past owner of the monitor series, I'd jump for the refs easily, or something comparable, especially if you listen to a lot of music.

I ended up going for something other than studios, but they are still a big step up from the monitors.

· Registered
65 Posts
I agree with the ''go Reference'' opinions. I also agree with Mike917 that a warmer receiver is a better choice. I used a Pioneer Elite with my Paradigms before I went to separates, and the sound was sweet.

Joe

· Registered
1,928 Posts
Go with the Studio series without looking back. I've personally gone from a setup consisting of Paradigm Mini Monitors(F/R)/CC350/PS2100 to Paradigm Studio 40/20/570/PW2100 and the difference is huge. The Studio's soundstage is bigger and more detailed. They also pair very nicely with a Yamaha RX-V1400, but I would suggest extra amplification if you can afford it to get the most out of them.

Kevin

· Registered
8 Posts
You really do have a choice here: you can either get the Studios right up front or you can go with the Monitors and then turn right around and upgrade to those Studios when the upgrade-itis becomes unbearable. It is going to happen - it's just a matter of when.

Yes, I have both Monitors (in the den) and Studios in the "big room". I am using an RX-v2400 for the big room and it's working just fine. The 2400 replaced a Pioneer Elite 'cause I got a wunnerful deal, PLIIx, and 'cause I wanted one. It's not that the Pioneer's a dog - I just liked the "Yamaha sound" and occasional DSP choices better. I (obviously) don't think the 2400 sounds overly bright or anything like that, but for TIA disclosure requirements, I am not in my early 20s (so my >12K acuity is likely a little less than a teenager's) and I'm definitely guilty of being the the Paradigm/Axiom camp (just never got the chance to live w/ Rockets). Both receivers sounded just fine w/ the Studios - I just decided the 2400 sounded finer (nad I wanted one ;~)..

The Studios are just a matter of time - your only real choice is "when". And as mentioned above - consider 60s vs 40s+stands.

· Registered
757 Posts
i just went from v.2 monitor series to v.3 studio series, with a dive into internet direct companies in-between. my v.3 studios are on the way and i can not wait. this is the sound i've been looking for all along.

it has been a long journey. i tried several internet direct companies and overall just didn't find the sound i wanted. paradigm is my destiny. ;)

IMHO - v.3 studios are it. :D

· Registered
840 Posts
Paradigm studio's were always my dream speakers. I went and listened to the studio 20's v.3...and to be honest...I wasn't all that impressed. They were nice and had awesome detail, but I felt they were a bit harsh in the highs. They just weren't for me. I did LOVE the studio 40's though! Of course they were kind of expensive in my book..but they sounded awesome and the highs were nothing like the studio 20's IMO.

· Registered
148 Posts
studio series is the way to go. I had a set of the old monitor threes and upgraded to studio 100s for the front, and studio 20s for the center and surround. I have since sold the 100s and bought a pair of thier signature servies s4's. As far as svs and hsu's "pooping" on any of paradigm's offerings, I would find that hard to believe (however i have not heard any of the svs or hsu subs, so I could be missing out). I have heard the siesmic 12 and 14, the servo 15, the pw2100 and 2200, as well as thier other lower end subs, and I have yet to find a looser in the bunch. If you do a little research about paradigm, you will find that they have one of the largest research and design facilities in north america. The design AND build every component that goes into thier speakers (except the cabinets in thier siganture series). This lets them keep tabs on quality control throughout the entire prcess and eleiminates a lot of middle men

Mike

· Registered
840 Posts
Well, I have a good friend that works at a high end audio store that deals Paradigm. I used to have the PDR-10 in my starter system. I thought it was great! Until I bought my SVS 20-39PC+......I now hear what I was missing. It was night and day.

I don't think the PDR series of Paradigm subs are all that good for the money....a lower model SVS or HSU would out perform it hands down....as for the higher end Paradigm subs....I have listened to them all and the ONLY ones that can compete with a comparable SVS would be the siesmic or the servo 15...but for the money....SVS is the winner.

· Registered
383 Posts
I would also go with the Reference Studio series hands down. It's not just the extra refinement and tonal balance that you get with the Studio series, it's also their exceptional imaging and big soundstage that really puts them over the top. I own a set of the Studio 40/CC/20 v.2 speakers in a 5.1 setup, and while they are excellent speakers, the new v.3 models that I've tried out are a revelation for both music and home theater. The Studio 40 gives you excellent all around versatility and decent extension, but I wouldn't count out the Studio 20s either, which are a bit more transparent sounding with even better imaging (and the Studio 40s are already excellent speakers in this department).

If funds are a concern, you might want to consider going with Studio 20s all the way around, especially if you're using a projector or a flat screen TV and can place three identical speakers along the front at the same height. The ADP and CC models are a bit more expensive, and if you got the space to properly place a set of five Studio 20s, you'll get the best possible timbre matching and incredible imaging.

As far as the Yamaha is concerned, give it a listen. I use the midlevel predecessor to the 1400 with my Studio v.2 setup and it's a great match. IMO, the YPAO parametric room calibration feature sets that 1400 apart from comparably priced competitors. (The Denon 3805 is $400 more than the 1400 and does not include a microphone, so make your own judgment as to whether it's worth the extra coin.)

From having used a parametric EQ with my subwoofer (absolutely essential tool -- subwoofer comparisons without any kind of room calibration are worthless IMO), I can tell you that any feature that effectively addresses problems with room acoustics is worth having. In general, I would put the room acoustics up there in importance with the speakers, and the YPAO calibration feature partially addresses them (room treatments are the other part of the solution to any acoustical problems). Most other differences between midlevel receivers are far less significant.

And with the subwoofer, you don't have to buy that at the same time as your other speakers. Paradigm makes good subs, but so do a lot of other companies. Keep in mind that room acoustics and positioning more than anything will dictate what your low frequencies sound like, so comparisons that were done in different demo rooms (or even with the subwoofers placed in different locations within the room) are not valid.

· Registered
748 Posts
I will also be trading in my monitor 7's and cc370 for some studio 60's and a cc470. (Hopefully this week if they show up) Should I also replace my minimonitors for studio 20' in the rear. I have until august to decide (before my 1year trade-up policy is over) Mostly my setup is for movies, but multichannel audio I am starting to get into. The only thing I am still on the fence about is the additional expense of the 20's ( another 400+dollars to upgrade) Will they sound 400 dollars better for HT and DVDA/SACD, or should I just wait and save up for a new sub, such as HSU/SVS (current sub is a velodyne ct-100

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.