AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting together a Paradigm based set.

- Studio 40 V3 (Mains)

- CC570 (Center)

- ADP 470

I've read some pretty good reviews about the Seismic-12, but for $1,700 (or even 15% less) that little sucker is expensive! I wanted to get your thoughts on whether this sub is really worth the money. I really like the compact size and its supposed to get be a great sub....for its size. SVS supposedly has subs that are nearly as good (or even better) for a lot less $s.

With regards to amplification, I was looking at either the Denons (3805, or maybe the upcoming 3806) and the Pioneer Elites. That being said, I must admit that I have been very intrigued by the NAD T773. I even read somewhere that someone switched from the a Pioneer Elite (think its was the 56 model) to the T773. I've read that the NAD receiver sounds great with the Paradigm studios and it very musical as well. Only downside is that it doesn't have HDMI and auto setup (not 100% on the auto setup). Any thoughts on this receiver would be really appreciated.

This brings me to my last....dumb query. Can anyone verbalize for me what folks mean when they say a speaker sounds "warm". I can imagine what a "bright" sounding speaker would be - probably sharp and somewhat piercing - but I really can seem to figure out what a "warm" sounding setup is. Sorry if this is silly question.

Btw, I do realize this is the "Speakers" section of the forum, but I really didn't feel like splitting by query into 3 different sub forums. Moderators, I hope you understand.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Wait on the sub purchase until you have a chance to do some listening and figure out what kind of sub will meet your needs. No need to rush.

I personally could care less about HDMI connections. All the components I care about get connected directly to the TV. I like NAD (although I own HK) and it seems to me that every time I go listen to speakers at an audio store that can't be abbreviated with 2 letters, they use NAD. Very nice equipment.

You'll get a lot of varying opinions on what warm means, but "not bright" is decent. The highs aren't as emphasized, some folks will say they aren't as clear or revealing. It's really up to you to discover whether you like a sound or not, and everybody has his own standards for what is "warm" or "bright"

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPKID
I'm in the process of putting together a Paradigm based set.

- Studio 40 V3 (Mains)

- CC570 (Center)

- ADP 470

I've read some pretty good reviews about the Seismic-12, but for $1,700 (or even 15% less) that little sucker is expensive! I wanted to get your thoughts on whether this sub is really worth the money. I really like the compact size and its supposed to get be a great sub....for its size. SVS supposedly has subs that are nearly as good (or even better) for a lot less $s.

With regards to amplification, I was looking at either the Denons (3805, or maybe the upcoming 3806) and the Pioneer Elites. That being said, I must admit that I have been very intrigued by the NAD T773. I even read somewhere that someone switched from the a Pioneer Elite (think its was the 56 model) to the T773. I've read that the NAD receiver sounds great with the Paradigm studios and it very musical as well. Only downside is that it doesn't have HDMI and auto setup (not 100% on the auto setup). Any thoughts on this receiver would be really appreciated.

This brings me to my last....dumb query. Can anyone verbalize for me what folks mean when they say a speaker sounds "warm". I can imagine what a "bright" sounding speaker would be - probably sharp and somewhat piercing - but I really can seem to figure out what a "warm" sounding setup is. Sorry if this is silly question.

Btw, I do realize this is the "Speakers" section of the forum, but I really didn't feel like splitting by query into 3 different sub forums. Moderators, I hope you understand.

Thanks in advance everyone.
I have a NAD T773 matched with my Studio 40's/ADP470's/CC570 and the sound is awesome. Neither the Denon or Pioneer you mentioned can come close to the performance off the NAD. I switched from a 56TXi/NADS250 combo to the T773 and haven't regretted it one bit. The T773 is a tank, and true to its spec.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much. The advice on waiting for the sub is probably not a bad idea at all.

Kevin - does the T773 have auto eq setup (i.e. delay etc.)? Also, since you're running the identical Paradigm setup that I am interested in, am curious as to what sub you are using?

Also, I'd appreciate it if you could give me your take on the low frequency extension of the Studio 40s.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
DLPKID, "bright" speakers or components ephasize the treble, and "warm" speakers emphasize the mid-range or upper bass. Bright speakers may sound too brittle or cold, while warm speakers may be boomy, undetailed and slow. This isn't necessarily the case, though. Axioms are considered to be fairly bright, and Totems are thought of as warm, yet both companies' products have a loyal following. It all comes down to individual preferences and component matching (warm amp/bright speakers etc.)

The Studio 40s' bass extention should not be a problem if you're getting a sub. It should cover down to about 50Hz, well below the 80Hz you'll probably set your crossover to the sub. I've heard the Studio 60s, (the 40s' bigger brothers) and they had great bass.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i have a pair of seismic 12 subs along with the avr-3805 and for ht i'm pretty happy with the performance.......the subs are expensive but they perform well and they're space savers.......keep in mind that it's not critical to brand name match the sub to the rest of your system.......i suggest you audition before you buy

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnepan
The T773 is overly warm and obfuscates detail. There are much better for a bit more money such as the Arcam.
Ones opinion, which would be better understood if you described the setup you used to listen to the NAD. Room setups play a huge roll in the sound you hear also. As for me with the setup I described ealier, I find the NAD T773 to be very detailed and certainly not darkened(obfuscates) as you say. Bass is strong and tight from my 40's. And when it comes to spec's the NAD is tough too beat. If you look at the Arcam with 2ch its 100w (20-20, 0.2% THD), yet at 7ch its 100w[1khz, 0.2%THD). Wouldn't want too push this receiver too hard with a difficult load.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the choice in speakers, the seismic 12 hits harder than you would think for its size. As for a receiver I would buy the Arcam AVR300 without a doubt it is the most musical receiver I've heard although I haven't heard the NAD. I would listen to both on the Studio 40s if possible. If you lived in Orange County California I work at a place that has Paradigms hooked up to the Arcam for demos.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I have the Seismic 12 and I am very pleased with it. As a sub in general it is a bit pricey, but when you put it up against other small subs there are very few that can touch it.

If size is a factor, then it is worth the money. If not then in the same price range I'd be sure to check out it's big brother, the Servo 15.

As to what you want to power your Paradigms, well, I would keep in mind that Paradigms are very neutral and open up considerably when fed lots of clean power. You might benefit from getting a less expensive receiver with pre-outs and getting something like an Anthem MCA-50, which can be had for a song on the used market since they came out with the Statement series. (Even new they're a steal.) To get that kind of power in a receiver you've pretty much got to get into the flagship models.

I'm not a big fan of room correction stuff even though that was one of the things that attracted me to my RX-Z9. I found in my room it just made things sound, I don't know... artificial? They do a good job of distance setting and sub integration, which is a huge part in getting the system to sound good. HK's "EZ-set" did just as good a job in that regard when I had it.

Your going to get so many opions here that it'll make your head spin. The best thing to do is sit down and write a list of what features are really important to you, based on your room and listening habits, then set a budget. Next, go out and listen to some stuff and get down to a "short list" and then see if your dealer will let you take them home for a try-out.

Most of the dealers I deal with here will let you do that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Thanks everyone for your input.....its much appreciated.

So now I must admit, I'm now intrigued by 2 receivers!! The T773 and the Arcam AVR300. I did some research and I must say the writeups on the AVR300 are pretty amazing. Either everyone is full of crap and Arcam is slipping a few bills to the top publications or it must a pretty sick receiver. All the hype aside, I plan to listen to both of them.

One more question if I may, can ADP470s be mounted on a rear wall in a 5.1 setup? (given that they are dipole) or do they have to be mounted on the side walls? Reason I ask is because when I had my home built, I had speaker prewires run to the rear wall and not the side walls.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPKID
Wow! Thanks everyone for your input.....its much appreciated.

So now I must admit, I'm now intrigued by 2 receivers!! The T773 and the Arcam AVR300. I did some research and I must say the writeups on the AVR300 are pretty amazing. Either everyone is full of crap and Arcam is slipping a few bills to the top publications or it must a pretty sick receiver. All the hype aside, I plan to listen to both of them.

One more question if I may, can ADP470s be mounted on a rear wall in a 5.1 setup? (given that they are dipole) or do they have to be mounted on the side walls? Reason I ask is because when I had my home built, I had speaker prewires run to the rear wall and not the side walls.

Thanks again everyone.
I too wonder if all the publications are full off it when it comes to the Arcam. I haven't heard one yet, but just looking at the specs for this unit in 7channel mode your looking at .2% THD at 1khz. If it such a wonderful unit then why isn't it spec'd 20-20. Yet even in 2ch mode your looking at .2%THD(20-20). I know spec's aren't everything, what happens when you receivers called upon to drive tough loads? At least with NAD you know where they stand on power.

As far as you second question goes I have my ADP470's on the back wall and the sound is excellent. I've heard that you should put the SL speaker in the SR position and visa versa. Keeping everything wired properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me am try listening to one. Me am like NAD as "no comparison between the NAD and the Arcam. The NAD is simply better in every meaningful way."

So says Bizarro Nigel!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.