AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer was having a sale this weekend and I purchased a Paradigm Servo v2 for $1599. I was leaning towards the HSU VTF3 MK II originally because of the price. Has anyone compared the two subwoofers? I want to stick with the sub the has the best performance, but if the subs are very similar I would like to save the money by going with the HSU. I have a week to take back the Servo.

My listening area is 15'x35' with one side of the room open to the kitchen. The subwoofer will be paired with a 7.1 system consisting of a Denon 3805 receiver, an Anthem MCA 30 powering Paradigm Studio 100's v3 and a CC-570, and Paradigm SA-15 rear and side suurounds.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason I ask is the subwoofer was a spur of the moment purchase. I went to buy the Studio 100's during this one day sale and saw that the servo 15 was also on sale. Although I have auditioned the Servo 15 I had never researched pricing. I have a week to take it back if I want.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Corybrz

Nice combination of speakers and amps!

Another vote for the Servo 15 here.

With the higher power amp of the Signature Servo put into the Servo 15v2, I cannot envision anyone wanting more power!

The price is right too.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I feel that there has been some confusion as to which Servo 15 is which. Given that great price, is it possible that it's the old Servo or maybe there is an intermediate Servo 15? I think a sure way to know which is which is by the crossover. The old Servo 15 had NO built-in crossover. I believe the V2 does have a built-in Xover. Corybrz - is there a bulit-in Xover?

Ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the back of the subwoofer it says Servo 15 V.2 and it has adjustments for phase alignment, subwoofer cut-off frequency, bass contour, and subwoofer level. The subwoofer comes with a 25 foot cable and the paradigm X-30 electronic X-over unit. The original price tag on the subwoofer was $2200 and the sale price was $1655, I got it for $1599 because I also purchased the Studio 100's.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
That is a great deal take it and run, run right to my house and give it to me!!!!!! A big vote for the Servo 15, As for the hsu i have heard it and it was very good, Good extenstion sounded very solid and tight and looks nice. But is it in the class of the servo 15, not in my opinion, I think its worth the extra $$ for the servo because it a awesome sub. But if you buy the hsu i'm sure you will also be quite happy it, it's a solid performer!!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Corybrz
The subwoofer comes with a 25 foot cable and the paradigm X-30 electronic X-over unit.
Why in the world is the Servo 15 V2 comming WITH an X-30 external crossover when it has a built-in Xover????

Corybrz - sounds like you really do have a V2. This is a no-brainer. As good as the Hsu may be, your Servo-15 V2 is way better than the Hsu.

Ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I have decided to keep the paradigm. ekb, is the subwoofer cut-off frequency the x-over? And could anyone tell me what the phase alignment and bass contour knobs are for. I need to go back to the dealer because I did not get a manual.

·
Registered
109 Posts
From a fellow Servo 15 v.2 owner, congratulations on your purchase. The list price is $2200 so you got a screaming deal on it. I can't say enough about this sub, when I was looking I wanted a sub that I could push without having to worry about it bottoming out, well it's stood up to my torcher tests without bottoming out and it sounds real smooth so I'm happy. One thing when it turns off after use it makes a knocking sound, don't answer the door like I did.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
well it's stood up to my torcher tests without bottoming out
Is that the one where you measure max output while on fire? ...:)

John

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Corybrz
ekb, is the subwoofer cut-off frequency the x-over? And could anyone tell me what the phase alignment and bass contour knobs are for. I need to go back to the dealer because I did not get a manual.
Yes - the cut-off frequency is the Xover. For home theater the Xover is normally done in your receiver and so you would typically bypass the Xover in your sub. But Paradigm doesn't allow that and so the next best thing is to set the Xover frequency as high as it will go on the sub.

The phase alignment is used to match your sub with the main speakers in the Xover region. It is not easy to do. You need help from someone else to slowly adjust the phase wihle you listen for maximum bass. This is a very terse explanation.

The contour knob is just an equalizer. It provides boost and maybe attenuation at, i beleive, a fixed frequency of 60 Hz. It'll help tune in your system - but since the frequency is fixed, it's of questionable value.

Ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info ekb! Dynamite D thanks for the congrats. I have the switch that turns the sub on and off to the setting that says auto. When I woke up this morning the paradigm light on the bottom of the sub was still on. Is there some trick to getting the auto feature to work. Sorry for all the questions but as I said earlier I don't have a manual.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.