AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have recently begun building my own system as I have always been fascinated with HT and Music systems because of my dad. So now that I am 18, I have been saving and buying to start off my own system. I just bought a Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000 a few months ago and am now going to buy a new Yamaha RX-V2700.

Anyway, I was just surfing audioholics and saw the review for the Velodyne DD 18 and they say it's an amazing subwoofer. I was wondering how it compares with the Paradigm Servo 15 V1 (which my dad currently owns) and the V2? Obviously, there is a huge price difference and I would never go that high, but I was just wondering where they stacked up against each other or where it stacks up to something similar such as the velodyne HGS-15X.

If anyone has heard these subwoofers and can comment, I would be appreciate it immensely.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
The original Paradigm Servo 15 with the 400W RMS amp,and outboard X20/30 crossover box is the real deal in a servo controlled sub for a a mid sized room where you do not need ear tearing output. Sound quality,distortion and compression remain low,very low at all operating levels.

Version two,uses a similar amp found in the Seismic series subs,1200W RMS and powers a much more potent woofer,the result more output but compression is higher down deep at very high output levels.This however is a non issue as this loud...your ears may not like anyway. Still a first rate sub,sound quality is as with the previous unit.

The big Velo is in a class half a level up,it can play loud on the Servo 15 V2 level,and dig deeper and ...has a built in EQ with on screen readout.Simply put you can dial the DD series to your room to have a near flat response! This is a keeper all in one super sub package,will do anything you throw at it in style.

Have you considered...nah nevermind

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/0

The original Paradigm Servo 15 with the 400W RMS amp,and outboard X20/30 crossover box is the real deal in a servo controlled sub for a a mid sized room where you do not need ear tearing output. Sound quality,distortion and compression remain low,very low at all operating levels.

And adding an SMS-1 EQ to it moves it up a class.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I currently have an HGS-18, and don't see how a sub could be too much better. Although, I'm sure they can. I had an SMS-1 for a little while, however due to my room conditions, didn't get much benefit from it. I've read about the changes Velodyne made from the HGS-18 to the DD-18, but I have yet to hear one. Maybe there is a big difference in them. I've alway's prefered the impact of the bigger Velodyne's compared to other subs.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/0

I currently have an HGS-18, and don't see how a sub could be too much better. Although, I'm sure they can. I had an SMS-1 for a little while, however due to my room conditions, didn't get much benefit from it. I've read about the changes Velodyne made from the HGS-18 to the DD-18, but I have yet to hear one. Maybe there is a big difference in them. I've alway's prefered the impact of the bigger Velodyne's compared to other subs.

Did anyone read the recent review of the DD18 by Mark Sanfilipo at Audioholics on 1/19/07? I was extremely unimpressed with the build quality of the DD18. The cheap wedges, excessive sloppy silicone, and lack of cross bracing screams "built in China by cheap labor." If I was dropping 5 grand on a sub, the internals better look better than that. Sure, it's all in the sound, but I have a $189 Cadence XSUB that's put together better. No wonder Velodyne has the headquarters they do (as does Bose). HSU and SVS may never be the huge conglomerate Velodyne is, but I have to give them credit for putting more money in build quality and not just in advertising and r/d.

Here's the review. Internal pics are on page 2.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...dyneDD18p1.php

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan /forum/post/0

Did anyone read the recent review of the DD18 by Mark Sanfilipo at Audioholics on 1/19/07? I was extremely unimpressed with the build quality of the DD18. The cheap wedges, excessive sloppy silicone, and lack of cross bracing screams "built in China by cheap labor." If I was dropping 5 grand on a sub, the internals better look better than that. Sure, it's all in the sound, but I have a $189 Cadence XSUB that's put together better. No wonder Velodyne has the headquarters they do (as does Bose). HSU and SVS may never be the huge conglomerate Velodyne is, but I have to give them credit for putting more money in build quality and not just in advertising and r/d.

Here's the review. Internal pics are on page 2.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...dyneDD18p1.php

um...
http://www.audioholics.com/productre...dyneDD18p4.php

If you look at the last page, they still get the highest ratings for every metric, including build quality (except user interface).

Build Quality: Outstanding (reserved for features or areas that exceed market norms)

I have a DD12, everyone, including a friends who has a SVS, tells me my sub looks and sounds like a very high end product, and I wasn't blown away by the build quality of his SVS (never seen a HSU). I never intend to see the inside of my sub, but I have yet to see one that looks better on the outside.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:

I had an SMS-1 for a little while, however due to my room conditions, didn't get much benefit from it.

Really? Either your room acoustics are perfect (unlikely) or must really suck. Can you elaborate on your experiences?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Buckeyefan,

I would agree,the inards(of the cabinet)do not look great.There is no bracing,and this was reported by some European audio mags.

Does this compromise sound quality,probably not.I would doubt Velodyne tries to save 5-$10 in MDF to ruin a high end product. And it saves some weight

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
No bracing on a $5k subwoofer?!?!?! With only 3/4-inch MDF walls? Pretty pathetic....other manufacturers

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

Really? Either your room acoustics are perfect (unlikely) or must really suck. Can you elaborate on your experiences?

I probably should have elaborated in the first place. My room acoustics are infact very good, especially concerning low frequencies. I did get some added smoothness from the SMS, just not enough to justify keeping it. I am certainly not trying to talk anyone out of trying one. Perhaps I was expecting too much. I will be moving soon, and will most likely pick one up again.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Big deal. Most audio "reviewers" know less about audio than the typical AVS forum member.

My point is that Velo has some cajones selling that product for $5k....given the materials and normal markup, it looks more like it should sell for $2500 max. There is ZERO excuse for that cabinet not to have bracing. ZERO.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/0

Big deal. Most audio "reviewers" know less about audio than the typical AVS forum member.

My point is that Velo has some cajones selling that product for $5k....given the materials and normal markup, it looks more like it should sell for $2500 max. There is ZERO excuse for that cabinet not to have bracing. ZERO.

So, if you compared the DD18 to another $5K sub that was built better, but sounded worse, you'd buy that one?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:

So, if you compared the DD18 to another $5K sub that was built better, but sounded worse, you'd buy that one?

You'd be surprised what a BFD does for a sub. It's almost impossible to spend $5000 on materials to build a single DIY sub, even copying a mfg's sub piece by piece. Just like Bose, you are paying for the name - and then some. A $5000 subwoofer better have components like these below, and sound even better...

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:

Fair point but I think the sub to compare it to these days is the F113, which looks to be built very well and by most accounts here is as good SQ wise as the Velo.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I see everyone's points about the build quality, but what I'm getting at is the end result produced. A similar argument I'v heard lately is the HD-A2's build quality compared to the "tank like" A1. If the picture is just as good, or better, why does the build quality matter. Now, if another sub of equal or lesser value sounds better, fine. I'm not defending the DD18, I'm just trying to understand the problem with the build quality if it sounds amazing. I'm not one for wasting money, either. I think this has turned more into a value discussion, rather than sound or build quality. The $5K price tag is the problem, I guess. People just expect more.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Buckeyefan,

Great pic of the Wilson Watch Dog components! Damn look at this quality amp and mnster 12 brute,well at 10K it better use this level of components.

Steven,

The GMF looks great,yes it will put a few subs to shame.99% I doubt as its direct competition more often will retail for 3-5K in stores(JL,Velo DD). So far all the subs that use PRès have lesser sound quality than the best sealed(JL).And lets not forget the upcoming SVS Ultra 13.5!

This sub is for HT above all,where I doubt not it will shine,massive slam and BIG output down to around 16Hz.From what I heard...around 2-2.5K,tremendous value.

Times are great for sub fanatics.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The performance of the sub speaks for itself no question. I also understand your remarks about the internal build quality. But if the sub performs the way it does, and all of us know it is considered an industry standard, as inevitably most all high-end high-dollar subs are compared to this one the DD-18, what benefit would the internal bracing honestly do? I know, I know what you are saying beleive me but if you are Velodyne and you have been building this sub in this manner and it performs as it does (Which by the way it generally regarded as top of the class) why would you put internal bracing inside? As is stated over and over above it is EXPENSIVE agreed. But if you were Velodyne would you really see the need? Like I said don't crucify me just trying to look at the other side of the coin is all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.