Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm looking to pick up a set of the Paradigm Signature S8 speakers and the Signature Servo sub. Just curious if anyone had any ideas of pricing on these items.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
List for the S8 in cherry is $5400 USD, $6000 for other finishes.

Signature servo sub is about $2500 and is enormous.

I got a Seismic 12 ($1500) and have been very pleased with it. Seems a seamless bass extension, but accurate and tight.

Julie

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a set of the Paradigm Studio 100 v2's. Do you think the upgrade to the Signature is worth it....especially 3X $$$ more worth it? Also is there a dealer in the Philadelphia or Baltimore area that can demo these that anyone knows of? Any info would be great. Thanks everyone so far for your help.

Ryan

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reg152
I have a set of the Paradigm Studio 100 v2's. Do you think the upgrade to the Signature is worth it....especially 3X $$$ more worth it?
You're the only person who can answer this. Give them a listen and decide for yourself.

Kal

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I compared the S2 to the S20, and there's a substantial difference... 3X the money of difference? Hmm, nope because spending that on amps and room treatment would result in bigger increases IMO.

In Canada the cost of the S8's is 7700, and 6900 for Cherry. The S2's are 2200 (I think) for the Cherry, and the S20's are about 1100. So the difference is about 2X, and IMO it was worth it. In the end it's not even 2X, because something like the S4 can replace the Studio 100's, so it's not like you need to necessarily replace the Studio 100's with S8's. I also went with a Reference Series Servo-15 to save $$$ too, but it's probably good that I never heard the Sig Servo, because then I probably couldn't have settled for the Reference. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Felgar,

That's some good insight. I don't think I'll worry too much about the Sig Sub only because I have a pair of the Reference Servo 15 sub. I've already got the amp to power them...I'm using the B&K Reference 7270 which does a phenominal job right now. I guess I really need to hear a set of the S4's and S8's.

Ryan

·
Registered
101 Posts
has anyone compared the the studio 60s v3? curious how the bass would compare, (there is a noticeable difference bewtwen the bass in the studio 60 and studio 40. even though the drivers are the same in both, the cabinet size makes a big difference) i just bought the studio 60s and the signature line isn't yet available here. just wondering if i should even consider the S4 since i would prefer a deeper bass than in the studio 60. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The stats on the S4's are good in terms of LFE, and in many respects they are very good for bass reproduction. They are definately much more clear and accurate in the low end than the Reference Sub, but then they lack the feel you get from the 15" sub. I'm not sure yet how exactly I'll configure my system; I'll play around with a 40Hz crossover when I have time...

It's clear that there's no comparison between the S8's and anything else for bass though. They have plenty of punch and are incredibly accurate - I don't even think I'd use a sub for music if I had S8's. The S8's do need a lot of power for that bass though - the amp I listenned to them on was hitting 800 watts at times and the music was not overly loud by any stretch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sks123

Are you using the 60's for a two channel setup only or maybe a 5.0(no sub)? The S4's have a LFE of 36Hz and a frequency response of 52Hz-22kHz. The Studio 60v3's have a LFE of 30Hz and a frequency response of 46Hz-22kHz. When I bought my Studio 40v2's I listened to the 60's as well. The 60 did have more bass than the 40's but the imaging and sound stage was not as good as the 40's to me. I have a sub so I was not too worried about the bass production of the 40's. The S4's are a huge step up from my 40's.

Thanks,

BB

·
Registered
101 Posts
right now, i'm interested just in the mains and center. since my interests are more music than ht, i'm concentrating on the stereo speakers, receiver and amp and the surrounds and sub can wait. i got the center channel now so i can match it with the 60s but for cds, i just use the 2 mains. the sig8s are out of my price range for now so it's either the studio 60s or sig4s. i know the sub can help with the bass but right now i want to evaluate the mains by themselves. any thoughts on the clarity and fullness of highs and mids comparing the 60's compared to the sig4s?

·
Registered
21 Posts
SKS123

There is a drastic improvement in the mid's and hi's for the S4's. Don't get me wrong I think the Studio line is an excellent speaker ( I own 40's and a Studio CC). But the S4's are extremely smooth and the imaging and sound stage are incredible. They are definitely worth taking a drive to go have a listen. I would have bought the S4's the first time I heard them if I didn't have a wife. I almost have her convinced that "I HAVE TO HAVE THE S4's". Let us know your impressions once you have had a chance to listen to them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
bbusse125- since you have the studio cc, wouild the cc match (well enough) with the sig 4s? is the improved imaging of the sig 4s anything similar to the fullness/improvement that an outboard amp adds? (plz excuse the newbie question :) )

·
Registered
21 Posts
SKS123

I would not recommend mixing the Studio CC and the S4's. I find that my 40's and CC can be a bit bright/harsh when listening to certain music. When I listened to the S4's, I brought some CD's that I find bright when listening to them at home but, on the S4's the brightness was gone. The S4's were being driven by a Rotel RB1090 (380 watts per channel). Many people will tell you that Rotel is on the warm side of SS amps. I have heard the 40's and S4's driven by rotel gear and there is a definite difference. As far as a separate amp goes I think that Paradigm speakers need alot of current to showcase their potential. If I were to make a choice of upgrading from a receiver to separates and keep my 40's or keeping a receiver and upgrading to S4's I would upgrade to separates every time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Whoops - sorry about the pricing error.

I too own a pair of S4's in maple now - the differences between the 40's and S4 are noticeable - the S4 is much smoother and imges better. Is the S40 bad? No, but the S4 is better to be sure. As for gear, I see no reason why you can't use the Signature line with a receiver and then upgrage to separates later (or just stay with the reciever). Generally separates sound better, but there are some recent recievers - B&K AVR 505 and 507, Arcam. For the time being, my S4's are going to be paired with a CC center until I get up the nerve to ask my better half if I can get a Signature center :)

They will be driven by a Lexicon/Sherbourn combo for HT and Anthem tube gear for 2-channel. If you want a great 2-channel amp for the Signatures, forget about the Anthem statement line and pick up one of the last Anthem Amp2 SE units from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio - SS punch and Tube smoothness :) They will never be made like that again! :)

-Bob

Felgar - it seems that I had your address wrong as the brochure was sent back to me. Sorry. Do you still want the brochure? I am willing to send it again but the PDF download is the same.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Ya, I guess there's no point in resending it. No worries Bob, sorry it didn't work out.

FWIW I'm driving my sigs with a NAD 763 receiver for now, but I'll be going separates for sure once I get enough cash again. Really it all depends if you can come to terms with the fact that you'll be upgrading in due time. If you still cling to the illusion that you can stop spending on HT, then probably Studios with separates will be better. The problem with that is that there's no where to upgrade from there, whereas by pairing the sigs with a receiver for now, I have a long way to go up when I start spending again. That was my reasoning anyways.

And I should point out that even with the NAD they are pretty amazing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.