AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Paradigm Soundscape but I can't seem to find any reviews anywhere. Specifically I would like to see how it stacks up against the Martinlogan Motion Vision but any info will do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am also interested in this. I returning the Paradigm Soundtrack Gen1 system because it wasn't immersive enough for me without rear speakers and any built-in surround processing, although the stereo performance and subwoofer sounded great.

The Soundscape doesn't come with a subwoofer, so I'm wondering if the 4" speakers on them would be adequate. Also curious of the built-in virtual surround processing performance.

·
Banned
431 Posts
If you are looking for surround effects the Yamaha YSP series do the best. To get the sound quality of the Paradigm bar with better surround effect I'd look at the YSP 4100/5100 with a good sub. The Sonos Playbar also does decent at surround effects and has good sound quality. It does require the sub though and that adds to the cost. One advantage to the Sonos Playbar is you can add surround speakers in the future if you'd like.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have been trying to find reviews on this as well, it was announced in September 2013 and nobody seems to have demo'd it or reviewed it yet. It even comes with a wireless transmitter for a sub - perfect. I was looking at the Martin Logan Vision for one of my setups, but I suspect this is better. Price/Performance on Paradigm stuff is usually exceptional.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb  /t/1525267/paradigm-soundscape-any-info-reviews#post_24607214

Although it was probably announced at Cedia in September it didn't start shipping until this month according to the Paradigm's blog. I imagine not too many have seen it yet.

Ah, fair enough. That would explain it - hopefully some reviewers get their hands on soon, I am extremely curious.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I recently bought one of these and so far I am very impressed. Now, I am not an audiophile, but I am fussy about my sound. And now that we are living in a condo and got rid of our full set of floor standing speakers and sub, a decent soundbar seemed to be the ideal compromise.

Why I chose the Paradigm Soundscape:
  • At 41" wide and only 5" deep, it looks sleek and fits perfectly on the shelf beneath my 50" Panasonic.
  • Reputation of brand
  • Bass capabilities -- no need for a sub, but you can connect one wired or wireless if you like.
  • 2 optical, 1 coaxial, and 1 set of analog inputs gave me some flexibility -- i.e., I have a turntable connected directly to the analog inputs, plus a WD Live TV to one optical and the TV to the other. My TV only passes 2 channel from the optical out, despite being fed HDMI source.
  • Bluetooth capability
  • Positive early reviews, and agreement with all the things they said once I was able to demo
  • And the biggest reason - I was able to purchase from a local retailer for less than the MSRP

Pros:

Setup was easy. Though an on-screen menu might have made things quicker, once I got onto the menu flow of the LED display it was no problem to start tweaking. Out of the box, it sounded great in "Music" mode, but "Movie" mode sounded boxy and full of mid-range. But as soon as I switched the Movie mode to "Surround", voila. Amazing sound. A few minutes of the "Dark Knight" and I was immediately past any guilt I was feeling for spending a larger chunk of change than I had originally intended. Any heebie-jeebies about the less-than-satisfactory "Movie" mode immediately vanished.

"Movie" mode: In my opinion, this only sounds acceptable with Surround enabled. There is no real immersive surround effect, but there is a distinct right, left, and center separation that delivers a bit of over-the-shoulder whooshing and other auditory effects. Crowd noise for Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day" seemed to fill the room. The dynamics for action movies were impressive; dialog and background music crystal clear, with the sound varying in intensity as called for. We will definitely stick with Movie mode (in Surround) as our default for TV and video.

"Music" mode is the crown jewel, though. After a healthy listening session of some flac files streamed from our NAS by the WDTV Live, we kept it in that mode for the hockey game but noticed the announcers' voices were missing. We could hear the crowd and ambient noise, but the play-by-play was buried. Switching back to "Movie" fixed it right up. Not the bar's fault, this was just the way the broadcast was coming in as other channels were fine.

Bass response is excellent. I do not intend to add a subwoofer to this setup as there is no need. I haven't tried the Bluetooth yet, but good to know it is there.

Cons:

The soundbar is still new to the market and has not yet been added to the Harmony remote database. Made setting up my activities a bit of a chore, but this is not the fault of the soundbar.

I would have liked a normalization feature. Volumes can jump considerably depending on channel or source (we use antenna for OTA HD and not a digital cable box, which would allow this to be configured). But then again, I like the fact that the sound is not as processed as with other bars I considered, such as the Sonos.

When powering up, it displays a brief splash message lasting 5 seconds or so ("Paradigm....Soundscape....PwrOn"). The bar is mute while this splash displays, so it feels like an agonizing several minutes. I would rather turn it on and have instant sound, or at least an option to disable the splash message. Yes, I am impatient.

In conclusion, this soundbar does exactly what I wanted. It replaced a multi-speaker setup and receiver, delivers large sound to a smaller space, and sounds equally impressive with both movies and music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts