AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys I'm new to any kind of forums but I knew this was the best place to go when it comes to talking about speakers, whats better, how to set them up, etc. My main reason for this forum is to know what to buy. Oh yeah, please be aware that I’m not completely informed about all of the detailed stuff that goes with home theater speaker systems so you can correct me if I am using the wrong terms lol.

My boyfriend bought a Denon AVR-E400 Receiver, two Paradigm SE3 floor standing speakers, and a Paradigm SE center channel. I know he wants to complete his home theater set up and that’s where I come in. Unfortunately I have NO CLUE which subwoofer or the mini speakers would go best with his set up. I assume that the best sub to put with this is the Paradigm SE subwoofer? And or mini surround sound speakers? HELPPP! 

....and it's a holiday gift thats why I cant ask him without him finding out!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Nice speakers. To complete the set-up

I would get him a pair of the Paradigm SE1

Bookshelf speakers. That would match the

Rest of the speakers.

As far as the sub goes that is a whole different

Animal. Paradigm subs are pretty good and the SE

Sub would be a perfect match to the rest of the system.

But for the $500>$600 for the SE sub you can get

A sub from SVS or Rythmik that will perform MUCH

Better for the money..

There are other variables as well, how large is your

Room?,how loud do you listen?, and how much do

You want to spend?

PS- it appears your speakers are the gloss black, I have

Heard that that color is hard to find for the SE1...good luck!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well it also depends on how your boyfriend is. For example, I would LOVE for my wife to OFFER to buy something for my system, but being the type of person I am, I would have to tell her what to get. I wouldn't want her to just go out and buy anything. I would want a specific speaker or colour or whatever.

Maybe he wants to match the sub brand or maybe he doesn't care. Or maybe he just wants the best bang for the buck and doesn't care of brand. It would depend on that as well.

Like what grasshopper said, svs would be a much better bang for buck for a sub, but does he want to match with Paradigm etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 for SE1 to be the best match for the front speakers. For the sub, +1 for SVS and I would recommend SVS PB-1000 (500 $ shipped) if he likes movies more than music or if the room size is medium. or SVS SB-1000 (500 $ shipped) if he likes music more and the room is relatively small. Of course the next step in the sub is always available depending on the budget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts