AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After falling in love with Martin Logans for music, I've listened to a few ML set ups for HT and don't think they quite work as well in that venue. Since my listening will be 70% HT and 30% musicI can't really justify them.

So I decided to go back to square one and listen to speakers all over again, and am now favoring the Paradigm Studio 100s as the best mix for both killer music and HT. However, I have not been able to try them out in an HT environment as much as I like so wanted to get some opinions on if you think these will make good HT speakers or not. I will probably couple them with a Paradigm center, rears and sub, as I like to stay all in the family ;-)

Anyone using these for HT and have an opinion?

c

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I came very close to getting a Paradigm Studio setup for my HT. I auditioned some 100's with both music and movies at a local retailer, and they sounded great. I ended up getting another brand instead, which I will not mention to avoid any discussions/arguements on this thread. I just want to provide you with my thoughts on the Studio line. For my price range, the dealer was going to put me into some 100's for front, studio CC, and some studio 20's for rear surround, and I forget which Paradigm sub. Quite a formidable package if you ask me. I was very, very, very, very, tempted to go with this setup. The soundstage on music coming from the 100's was second to none that I auditioned (please, let's not start any who's better than who here, the gent is just looking for some input on Paradigm's). For music, I auditioned a wide range of types, but the 100's for some reason did a wonderful job with good old rock n' roll (e.g. Lenny Kravitz), and did a great job with everything else as well. Note, I did not audition any classical, jazz, country, blues music. I had a chance to run the Behind Enemy Lines DVD through them and accompanying speakers, and they handled it quite well also. I think the Paradigm's would handle just about anything you throw at them, and handle it very well. One heads-up though, I was reading some posts this morning (forgot which thread), and there seems to be somewhat of a consensus that you need some good power running these bad boys. The dealer had a Denon 5803 along with an external amp powering their demo room. That's the only thing I would say to watch out for. Otherwise, best of luck, and I think you would enjoy them. One last thing, if the room isn't that big, I think the 80's or even 60's would do a fantastic job as well (saving you a few $$$).

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've got them on order. I have been using studio 20's up front with the studio CC until I get the 100's. I have been impressed. I'm sure there are other very compitent speakers, but the Paradigm studio line fit right in my budget for a mid-high end speaker system that I could get a good deal on. You should be impressed by the system no matter what you've heard before. The servo-15 is simply amazing. The 20's are very clear, and the studio cc is a good bit better than the cc300 I had. The studio cc is probably the weakest link in the set, but I'm not saying it's lacking. It is a nice center channel compared to other similarly priced speakers. I just am not blown away with its performance like I was the studio 20's and servo-15. I would like to see a larger more capable center channel. Give me a couple of weeks (I should have them by then), and I will let you know what I think of the studio 100's in my room.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have them and think they do a wonderful job. I read some where (I think it was in Perfect Vision) that they where designed with music in mind, but a large number of people ended up using them for HT. Keep in mind that they are not shielded. If that's an issue for you, then you can always go with the 60's or 40's.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I heard the 100's with dipoles for HT and just the 100's for 2-channel. I think we used a $2k yamaha receiver.

I would be very happy with them for both HT & music. They provide a lot of flexibility: dipoles, in-walls, and monitors for HT.

I then went to another room and hear the Martin Logan Odyssey 7.1 HT and 2-channel w/B&K receiver. I heard GooGoo Dolls and watched Pearl Harbor. When seated in the sweet spot I was impressed with both 2-channel and HT although the side panels (Scipts) provided a more directional sound that the dipole Paradigms.

If I had to kill a few hours in that store listening to both music & HT, I would be more attracted to the Martin logan room...which was much more expensive. There is something captivating about the ML panels.

Now my budget and room probably don't justify Martin Logans and I haven't spent enough time with them to fully understand how well I like their mid-bass but I sure am attracted to them in the stores.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree, the 100's would make a very good HT & Music speaker... Just make sure you have the power to drive them. (I assume you do since you are using ML's)

I run the 60's, CC, and 20's for a 5.1 setup (wish I could have plopped down the extra $$ for the 100's and a good amp)... I love them for both music and HT... Just got an SACD player too, and 5.1 music is great on the studio's too :)

I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend the Studio line to anybody looking for speakers in their price range, for Music, HT, or anything else...

Hope this helps...

--Paul

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, that sure seems to answer that question! Thanks everybody.

FYI, spoke to a friend today who's also a dealer and given the size of my HT room (16x18) he's suggesting I go with the Studio80s as the main speakers because he does not think I'll really need the 100s to adequately fill the room, so I'm going to listen to those as well.

c

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
May the force be with you...

·
Registered
859 Posts
One thing i'd like to add... if you're going with 100s.. you gotta shell out for proper amplification. and proper amplification will add a considerable amount to your total purchase price. so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use the 60's in a 13x18 room and they fill it just fine... If you are interested in saving some dough, I'd look at them too...

--Paul

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
If music is a concern, be sure to audition the 40s vs the 100s (both with the servo-15). I found the 40s to have better imaging and soundstage with an extremely clean midbass. The 100s had a little more impact and were capable of higher SPLs (with a beefy amp) but the midbass was a bit muddy.

I seem to recall that the 80s are usually not recommended (something about driver matching?). It's been awhile so I forget the specific issue...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am using the 100's 50/50 music/HT and they are hard to beat. 4 x 8 inch woofers plus sub really rocks :D. They are biamped with Bryston 3B and 5B amps, but the nominal 125W/ch (150W/ch actual) 3B amp drove the 100's just fine. 2 amps drive them finer.

I also have the 60's which are now in the rear. They were great for HT (with a sub), but I got the 100's because they are much better for stereo music. Alot of people are more impresssed with the 40's than the 60's.

If you think that the CC lacks punch, you might want to try a 40 as the centre speaker.

The 80' have an 8 inch midrange, and this is a little large for a midrange speaker.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the 100's, Studio CC, 20,s in the rear & Velodyne F-1200. The Studios are powered by an Anthem MCA-5. I am very pleased with the overall performance for movies, CD & DVD-A.

·
Registered
20 Posts
craige17

Hi,

I would strongly reccomend against the studio 80's, they are the ******* child of the studio line. I would get the 60's or 100's. I have owned them both and highly recomend either one, with an edge to the 100's. They are much more than just the 60's with better bass. Imaging and soundstage are much improved. As for power, I have used both a carver av-705(125*5) and a bryston 9bst(120*5) with absolutely no shortage of bass impact or resolution. Good luck!!

Jeff

·
23,031 Posts
One more happy Studio 100 owner. I've had my Studio 100s, CC450

and ADP450s for a little over 5 years. It was my entry in 5.1 HT

and I wanted to listen to stereo music also. They are great for both.

Now that DVD-A and SACD are here, it's even better. A few weeks

ago I just got a pair of Studio 40s to make 7.1. I tried the 40s for

Front L/R for a while as "small speakers". I must say they sound

great, even with music. I was very impressed. Dialing in the sub is key here.

Also, just like any other speaker (or amp) purchase, try to audition

the speakers and amp combo you want to buy. Both already broken

in, if possible. Alot depends on the amp driving them. At the time I bought mine, I listened to them with Rotel, Krell, and Classe amps.

The Krell and Classe sounded much better and "smoother" and less harsh. I wound up with the Classe.

my 0.02

larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.