AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this question has been asked time and time again but Ill ask anyway,if you power the studio 100's with a denon 3806 or similar AVR without a amp are you really going to be dissapointed,is it only a disappointment for music at high volumes or for movies as well which is what ill be using the set-up for? Basically if Im spending thousands on speakers and a amp will I be disappointed without a amp while watching movies,im not big on music but would occasionally listen to it.

thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi,

That depends if you are only powering a pair of Studio 100's or a full 7.1 channel system. If it is only a pair of studio 100's you are powering off the receiver than it would probably be OK, however I once powered mine off a yamaha receiver and was not very satisfied, it sounded muffled. Powering them through a Rotel rb-1080 or RB-1090 which I now power them with did improve the sound quite a bit and allowed for a higher playback level. The 100's are a tough load for most receivers.

If you want a cheap but effective outboard power amp solution look at the crown XLS 602 or 402 pro audio amps which will most certainly outgun the Denon receiver at any playback level.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
How big is the room and are you using a sub and what crossover setting do you have

it set also did you set them to small these will help assess better replies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No room yet,Im a building a new home in the next little while.A sub will be used maybe a SVS.So what size room suits the 60's and what size room is appopriate for the 100's? Im almost certain a amp will be best im just uncertain about what the best avr is to get if im using the AVR's pre- outs for a external amp, does this mean I should spend less on a AVR? Is it a waste to pay for a denon 3806 and use its pre outs (if any) or would a cheaper AVR be more suitable for this set-up?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Are you looking to run a 2 channel amp just for the mains or multichannel amp with the 3806?

I would wait and judge for yourself if the 3806 is up to your liking. I run Axiom M80s with my 3808 and can hit ~100db cleanly in my 2700cf room, I measured about 10 ft away from the speakers. You maybe surprised at what you get out of the Denon. Once you know you whether or not you like or dislike the way things sound, then start to look for an amp.

So far as runnning the 3806 as an avr it works very well and if you can find another avr with all the bells and whistles you want for less, then buy it, as the power rating is no longer an issue if you are going with a seperate amp for all channels, but the 3806 has some good quality Dac's inside, another thing to consider would be the need/desire to run HDMI through the avr for future audio/video upgrades as well and the 3806 doesn't have any HDMI ports, you need the 3807 and up or the 2807(?)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to get a 2 channel amp to run the main L and R studios only and use the denons amps for the rest of the speakers(center and surrounds).So what do you mean by the denon doesn't have hdmi features,can I watch and hear hi-def /blu-ray movies and audio through my main speakers using the denon? Please forgive my lack of knoweledge with hdmi as I am very new to H.t but reading and learning more everyday.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Yep, i too evolved with the Studio 100 v2 then dded little by little to get a 7.1 matched 2nd hand system, CC, ADP, 20s, and the Servo-15 which BTW i had to refinish after the seller shipped it to me in wet carton, all ended well though, just broken grill frame and nice partial refund.

Amp evolved too. Started with Denon, went Sherwood Newcastle P-965 and Adcom, then Anthem D1 and Sherbourn monoblocks, Yamaha RX-V2700/3800, then Onkyo PR-SC885P with dedicated a Marsh 400 Class A solid state for the fronts and kept the Sherbourn for center and surround. Have two Panamax 5510Pros one in "Isolated" mode for low current components and the other in "balanced" mode for amps. Right now i am blasting SwissJazz 192KHz via an OxygenHD sound card and it just could not sound better, short of SACD via DSD of course.

Dump the Denon please. Do yourself a favor and get a TX-SR875 refurb off accessories4less, has the same topology and upgrade path as the 885 and Integra 9.8, you will keep it for a long time too. If sonic refinement on a budget is your cuppa tea look no further. Of course get the mandatory Noctua or similar low dB fan to reside permanently on rubber bumpers above the transformer (running two off an old Motorola brick phone 9v charger here), Onkers run hot, ideal for a kitchenette system in a studio situation after an expensive divorce

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
The Denon will run your speakers just fine, but you won't be getting huge amounts of clean SPL, but it will get plenty loud. There is nothing wrong with taking slow steps, down the line you can add a dedicated amp using the pre-amp outputs to get more spl, and if audiophile is the direction you choose to go, then you can change out that denon down the line and get a pre/pro to go with that outboard amp.

good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman1976 /forum/post/15453220

I was going to get a 2 channel amp to run the main L and R studios only and use the denons amps for the rest of the speakers(center and surrounds).So what do you mean by the denon doesn't have hdmi features,can I watch and hear hi-def /blu-ray movies and audio through my main speakers using the denon? Please forgive my lack of knoweledge with hdmi as I am very new to H.t but reading and learning more everyday.

thanks.

I have recently ordered paradigm studio 100's (v4) as well and matching CC, ADPs, with a Jl Fathom f113 sub. Have been shopping around for receivers, particularly Denon 3808/4308, Rotel RSX-1560 (heard great feedback about this), Marantz 7002/8002. Alternatively I'm also looking at separaters, but that might go above my budget of ~2k.

Is it a waste to pay for a denon 3806 and use its pre outs (if any) or would a cheaper AVR be more suitable for this set-up?

==> If you are thinking of Denon, why not go for 3808? 3806 is their 2006 model and lacks HDMI 1.3a (I believe its 1.1 standard). It does perform HDMI upscaling, but wont support Deep color and other latest HDMI 1.3 specs. Although there is hardly any deep color content as of today, if you are looking couple of years ahead, 3808 is a better deal, as it supports most HDMI 1.3 specs.

I was going to get a 2 channel amp to run the main L and R studios only and use the denons amps for the rest of the speakers(center and surrounds)

==> What amp are you looking at? I started looking for a dedicated amp as well, but then after reading and talking to few people, decided that either a Denon or a Rotel receiver should do the job. I'm not planning to play more than 50-60% volume (as I live in an apartment) on the studio 100's, so my case might be different than yours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The amps I was considering were the rotel 1080 and outlaw 7600,what are some good amps to consider for driving he studios and/or the center channel??

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Why not look at something like the parasound NC5250. Get.the best bargain on an up-to-date receiver that will handle all the new HD audio codes and is hdmi 1.3 ready. Then the money you save, spend it on a good amp. If you're using a receiver as a pre/pro, 99.9% chance you won't need xlr inputs so look for amps that give good performance without them. That's why I suggest the parasound. They give great soundstage and strong tight bass. Paradigm and parasound make a great combo. So do anthems, but I would look at the statement A2 or A5.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL86 /forum/post/15452804

Hi,

That depends if you are only powering a pair of Studio 100's or a full 7.1 channel system. If it is only a pair of studio 100's you are powering off the receiver than it would probably be OK, however I once powered mine off a yamaha receiver and was not very satisfied, it sounded muffled. Powering them through a Rotel rb-1080 or RB-1090 which I now power them with did improve the sound quite a bit and allowed for a higher playback level. The 100's are a tough load for most receivers.

If you want a cheap but effective outboard power amp solution look at the crown XLS 602 or 402 pro audio amps which will most certainly outgun the Denon receiver at any playback level.

will a NAD 975 do the trick?
http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...mplifier/specs

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a 975, driven by the T175. I don't have the 100s, but have two 40s(l/r) two 20s(sides), a 690 up front and two small off-brand speakers filling out the rear. I can say that without spending a lot more money, the 975 is a great sounding amp, and handles the Paradigms quite well. When I auditioned the 40s, I also listened to some 100s(along with a 690 and ADPs) in a 7.1 setup. I seemed to have little problem with them. Now, I don't listen at obscene levels, so I don't know how it will react if really, really pushed. The nice thing, is the NAD amp has a Soft Clipping feature, that helps you keep from destroying your speakers if you do push it too hard.

As to the Outlaw 7600 that was mentioned, I think the OP was referring to the 7700(seven channels at 200w). I've not heard it, but have heard very good things about it. Outside of power and weight, the two amps are quite evenly matched, spec-wise.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman1976 /forum/post/15457952

The amps I was considering were the rotel 1080 and outlaw 7600,what are some good amps to consider for driving he studios and/or the center channel??

I've used an Anthem MCA-20 for my Studio 100's, and let my 3805 power the rest of my Studio 5.1. The Studio 100's benefited greatly from the addition of the Anthem and it relieved the strain from the 3805 during loud playback. I also have a Parasound A21 that I use in my 2-channel rig with a pair of Dali MS-4's and it is a beautiful beast. Both can be had for a good price on Audiogon.

Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jason im glad to hear that amp benifited your studio 100's,so you only run your fronts off the amp right?not the center channel?Any benifit to run fronts and center of the amp and use the denon for everything else(surround).

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null /forum/post/15471583

I have a 975, driven by the T175. I don't have the 100s, but have two 40s(l/r) two 20s(sides), a 690 up front and two small off-brand speakers filling out the rear. I can say that without spending a lot more money, the 975 is a great sounding amp, and handles the Paradigms quite well. When I auditioned the 40s, I also listened to some 100s(along with a 690 and ADPs) in a 7.1 setup. I seemed to have little problem with them. Now, I don't listen at obscene levels, so I don't know how it will react if really, really pushed. The nice thing, is the NAD amp has a Soft Clipping feature, that helps you keep from destroying your speakers if you do push it too hard.

As to the Outlaw 7600 that was mentioned, I think the OP was referring to the 7700(seven channels at 200w). I've not heard it, but have heard very good things about it. Outside of power and weight, the two amps are quite evenly matched, spec-wise.

what is the difference in sound between the 40's and 100's? this is for 95% movies and 5% music

·
Registered
299 Posts

Quote:
what is the difference in sound between the 40's and 100's?

The most obvious difference is the low-end extension. The 100's can go deeper by themselves without using(or in some cases. even needing) a subwoofer. The 100, to me, doesn't seem to have quite the accurate imaging as it's small counterparts, though. The reason I chose the 40s for the front, is I felt they had a bit better range than the 20s, had a clearer mid/low-mid than the 60s and better imaging than both the 60s and 100s. The smaller speakers are also less expensive, too...

Now, as far a sheer slap-you-upside-the-head impact goes, the 100s win. Hands down.

If you have the chance, grab a couple of your DVDs and/or CDs, and audition them. It really is a matter of taste.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx /forum/post/15477617

what is the difference in sound between the 40's and 100's? this is for 95% movies and 5% music

As was said grab your material and go have a listen at the dealer

the added midbass of the 100's was no contest for me and the

fact they are a true 3way speaker but for 95% movies you may

find the 20's to be adequate with a sub but all of them still benifit

from the addition of a sub.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null /forum/post/15477807

The most obvious difference is the low-end extension. The 100's can go deeper by themselves without using(or in some cases. even needing) a subwoofer. The 100, to me, doesn't seem to have quite the accurate imaging as it's small counterparts, though. The reason I chose the 40s for the front, is I felt they had a bit better range than the 20s, had a clearer mid/low-mid than the 60s and better imaging than both the 60s and 100s. The smaller speakers are also less expensive, too...

Now, as far a sheer slap-you-upside-the-head impact goes, the 100s win. Hands down.

If you have the chance, grab a couple of your DVDs and/or CDs, and audition them. It really is a matter of taste.

seems the NAD will work better with a smaller speaker. Im going to wait to see how the new studio series sounds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts