AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should I be getting an extra cc or adp for 6.1 ex?

And is this setup a good choice for a 4x3 room?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I would actually suggest another Studio 20 for the back surround speaker. The only reason for those horizontal center speakers is because they typically sit on top of a TV. If you're using a wall-mounted flat panel TV and you have enough space underneath the screen, try three Studio 20s across the front. The sound quality from that kind of setup will astound you. Monitoring setups for mixing studios typically use three identical speakers up front. I've yet to hear of one that uses a horizontal center speaker in a multichannel mixing setup.

Also, don't be afraid to try another pair of Studio 20s for the surrounds. I generally prefer direct firing surrounds over dipoles, and with multichannel music I think it's a no brainer to go with direct firing surrounds. Six identical Studio 20s all around will give you the best possible timbre matching and most seamless surround imaging if you have the space to position the speakers properly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think you need to provide a little more info on the room size. 4x3? Is that meters? As for your choices, neither. The ADP and CC do not do well as sixth channels. Also, depending on your room size, the 20s are a bit small for front. Personally, I run Studio 100s in the front and have a Servo-15. I plan to get a second Servo-15 as well. As for my 6th and 7th channels, I plan for Studio 20s. My room is 16 feet wide and 21 feet long. Good luck!!

Allen

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After having a look the room is actually 4x4 meters, with no furniture accept bean lounge bags. All av gear is in the wardrobe (which is now my av rack room mwah ah ah ah !). There is a ceiling fan in the room, which I do no use (is it worth removing for any benefit). The walls are cement fibro (not asbestos). There is one retangular window which is covered by a black out cloth drape (no light gets in).

20s all the way round then? Boy Im going well outside my budget, but I cant find anything else in the $3000 aussie market (although Krix look good).

·
Registered
135 Posts
hmm... 4 x 4 meters is decent sized. I don't think you'll be happy with Studio 20s in front. As I said, my room works out to around 5 x 6.5 meters and the Studio 100s do manage to fill the room. Keep also in mind that I have a Servo-15 as well, but I do plan on adding a second Servo-15 (both on an X-30 crossover) as soon as I finish some construction work.

But if you have a budget, I would suggest the following: Studio 40s in front with a CC and ADPs in the rear. Look for used speakers to keep the costs down. Also, you *will* need a sub. I have studio 40s upstairs and they work great for music, but really need a sub for added punch during movies. As for the 6th/7th channels, I'd consider Monitors. I know, a little odd and potentially mismatched, but I have heard good things about the v3 Monitors and much of the comment notes how much more they sound like Reference speakers.

Oh, one more note, Woochifer is quite right. Though I have not heard it myself, there does seem to be a strong school of thought that the Studio 20s work better than ADPs are rear channels. This may help the budget as well :). I haven't heard this combination though.

Good luck!!!

Allen

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that.

well if the 20's will do the job, and save me money, Im all for that.

Used gear is hard to come by in Aus, unfortunately.

Im really leaning towards a yammy, so I hope I get clarity and punch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry to hear that stuff is hard to come by there :(. I really enjoyed my time in AUS, but I would suggest a sub though. I used a PDR-12 with the 40s for a while, before the Servo-15 came in and it worked quite a bit better than I expected. I know that some will disagree with me, but I would say that having a PDR-12, especially with something small like a Studio 20, would be quite a bit better. Given the price, its bargain..!!

Yammy makes pretty good gear. Friend has one (consumer model) with his HT with a 92" screen (Zenith z9000 PJ) and Monitor Silver speakers (another good choice, BTW) and it sounds pretty darn good!!

Good luck!!

Allen

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a yammy sub at the moment, it will be my next upgrade.

Perhaps the yammy range of speakers would be a goers all the way round?

Might not be hi end but might be a good match?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure about Yammy speakers, but if you want budget models, I'd look at Energy Takes, Paradigm Atoms or even the Paradigm Monitors. Also, as I mentioned, I've listened to a friends Monitor Silvers (Bronze is the less expensive line) and I'm quite impressed with them. The Energys and Paradigms have a lot of punch for the smalls dollars :). As for subs, well, not sure about the Yammy sub, try it, but my vote on budget subs is the Paradigm PDR-12. Loved the one I had. I passed it on to my mom when I upgraded to Servo-15s :).

Allen

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xcited1
I have a yammy sub at the moment, it will be my next upgrade.

Perhaps the yammy range of speakers would be a goers all the way round?

Might not be hi end but might be a good match?
No need to 'match' the sub to the rest of the speakers. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went straight past the monitor series, they are more in my budget range.

How about monitor 7 + monitor 3 + cc170? (and an extra monitor 3).

·
Registered
609 Posts
If they are more to your budget, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check them out. The studio and monitor series do sound different. So take a listen to them both.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I honestly don't think that the 20s will present any problem in filling that room. Smaller speaker can play surprisingly loud surprisingly well. Most people assume you need huge speakers to fill a larg room, but if you are running these with a good sub (doesn't have to match your main speaker brand), then I think you will be plenty happy with the 20s. I also recommend 20s all the way around. Using identical speakers really makes for a smooth cohesive sound stage. I think you would be VERY pleased with the results of that system.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Quote:
I honestly don't think that the 20s will present any problem in filling that room. Smaller speaker can play surprisingly loud surprisingly well.
I agree. Before I bought Studio/40, I had Studio/20 all around in a large (30feet by 20 feet) room. The 20's were great and really sounded great.

In fact, many won't agree here, but I liked the sound of Studio/20 more than that from Studio/40 (I am not the one with trained/golden ears; may be it was just a matter of personal preference). I used SVS 25-31PC+ subwoofer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Studio 20's are FINE for a 4x4 meter room. They will be more than enough. That is not a lot of area to fill.

The Monitor line is great but they are different than the Studio line. I say much different actually. If you do go monitor the 7's are very nice. I would maybe get three Mini Monitors and use the money saved for the cc370. It is the only matching center in the Monitor line. I would not get the 170, it is not in the same "class" as the monitor series.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NewToHT
Studio 20's are FINE for a 4x4 meter room. They will be more than enough. That is not a lot of area to fill.

The Monitor line is great but they are different than the Studio line. I say much different actually. If you do go monitor the 7's are very nice. I would maybe get three Mini Monitors and use the money saved for the cc370. It is the only matching center in the Monitor line. I would not get the 170, it is not in the same "class" as the monitor series.
I'd go with CC-170 OR jump up to the CC-470. I thought that the CC-370 sounded muddy...so did NewToHT, but he's just not being honest here. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
My vote (consider as valid as a Florida ballot) is to go with the 20's.

A 5 x 6.5 meter room is a tad more than twice the size of a 4 X 4 meter room.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Woochifer
I would actually suggest another Studio 20 for the back surround speaker. The only reason for those horizontal center speakers is because they typically sit on top of a TV. If you're using a wall-mounted flat panel TV and you have enough space underneath the screen, try three Studio 20s across the front.
Not sure if this is an issue here, but the CC is magnetically shielded. I don't believe the Studio 20's are.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Magnashield is optional on Studio line (Black Ash only)

Paradigm offers alot of solutions for all budgets

7,9,11's for front (monitor line)

370 for for center

ADP's for rear or a pair of direct (small monitor line or even performance series)

$3000 budget might be pushing it for a studio line setup

Budget may be best on :

Monitor 7/9's for front

cc370 for center

adp or direct for rear

and a sub

gives you a 5.1 system

any money left decide on best to add to (or save for a later :) upgrade)

from other people on forum they suggest 6.1/7.1 may not be necessary for that size a room (mine is 5.5 x 8) I had 9 fronts, 3 rears, 350 center and filled room nicely (before I moved to Studio 100 / 570 and 9's in the rear)

What is you listening preference?

If music then good fronts and direct rears (if listening to in full speaker setting) are better

If HT is most important then center/sub/surrounds need to be good as well

Go to you local retailer with a budget and see what you can get

·
Registered
193 Posts
So, I got that Studio's should match CC470/570. But can I mix these three with monitors or whatever rears?

Luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.