AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody own these speakers or are very familiar with them? I heard them yesterday and was really impressed with them for the price. The sales rep I was talking to said they weren't as power hungry as the Studio 100s... and that 100 - 110 wpc should drive them sufficiently. What do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
757 Posts
several consumers have purchased the 60's instead of the 100's because of the long term price difference (first difference going from 60->100 then adding a power amp,etc. if you purchased 100's). 110 watts should be adequate for the 60's. the combination also depends on the size of your room. you may want some extra power if you have a very large room. the dimensions of the room won't really justify this need. you'll simply have to get the speakers home and see how they sound at different volume levels. i wouldn't mind having a pair of 100's, but the 60's are a wiser buy IMHO.

try the following analogy for the studio 100's with a 100watt receiver...

it's like having a shinny corvette with a 6 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... I heard the 100s previously driven at 200wpc and they were so sweet!!! I then did some researching and listened to the 60s driven at 125 and they were very impressive as well but I was in a little room. If I went with the 100s, I was looking at an Outlaw 950/770 combo to drive the big boys... I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the 60s now and possibly drive them with a Denon 3803 (110 x 7). What do you think???

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have the 60's powered by a Marantz receiver (120W x 6) but have tried a seperate amplifier (Parasound 140W x 3) and noticed the increased detail and clarity as well as a tighter more dynamic sound when the volume was pushed. I want to try a Rotel amp and see what it sounds like also.

If I could do it differently, I might have chosen a cheaper receiver and gone with a good 5 channel amplifier. Just my 2 cents.

Yosh70

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, I'm going to have to listen to them hooked up to 200 wpc and see if that makes a difference. When I was leaning towards the Studio 100s, I was planning to go with an Outlaw 950/770 combo. I thought maybe I wouldn't have to go seperates for the Studio 60s... but I guess I need to give it a try.

As far as going with a cheaper receiver, the cheapest receiver you can find with 7.1 pre-outs run about $700... so it's really not a huge cost savings over the Outlaw 950 if all it will do is serve as a pre/pro. The Outlaw goes for $900 by itself, but there is a $200 savings when you buy it with the 770 amp, which is 200wpc x 7.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.