AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expected the CC570 to be heavy (brochure says 45lbs) but this thing is ridiculous!!! Feels more like 90lbs!

It's so heavy there's no way I think it could safely sit on top of any TV - my current CRT or my upcoming Mits 62725 DLP especially so. So, what to do? I don't want to mount it below the screen, and I don't have an entertainment/wall unit system with a shelf/bridge to place it on yet.

I was thinking of using 2 pieces of painted 3/4" MDF or plywood separated from each other by the height of the TV plus an inch by 4 3/4" copper pipe lengths at each corner. Not the most elegant solution, but inexpensive and not too ugly for a temporary fix. The wood could be painted a glossy black and the copper shined up to a beautiful glow.

What about using a wall mount arm like some made to support tvs in midair? As long as it would extend out so that the front of the cc570 was in line with the front of the TV and mains it might work - might be kinda ugly from the side though.

Anybody else come up with a more aesthetically pleasing solution to this 'weighty' issue?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
B-tech sells a tv wall mount that hold 77Lbs. As long as your tv is close enough to the wall this mount should sit just above you set.

Kevin

·
Registered
609 Posts
I built a shelf for it to sit on top of my CRT. I have had no problems with it.

I used a piece of MDF, laid laminate on the edges and stained it. I used lag bolts for the 3 adjustable feet in the rear with rubber feet around the heads of the bolts. It works great. From the front and sides it looks good too. No one sees the back so I didn't care what the bolts looked like.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I can try and get some photos of mine if you are interested.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas all.

Dr. Spike, I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of course, but with the DLP's being so sloped at the rear, thinner and I understand NOT designed to support any weight as opposed to CRT's, I don't think I will be placing anything on it directly. If anyone has info to the contrary, I'm open to all Ideas!!

Gschawla - is Studio-tech a line of Paradigm accessories or a separate company? I'll google it to see if I find it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm not sure about the DLP, I'm not sure the CRT is supposed to support any weight either, but the slope is not nearly as great as the DLP, at least the DLP's that I have seen.

I will try to snap some shots if it.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
My CC-570 rests on top of my Pioneer Elite TV, fortunately the Pioneer Elite is the one of the few brands that use REAL wood in their cabinets. But, even if I didn't have an Elite TV, my entertainment center has an adjustable shelf above the TV, I would just use it if I ever change TV's.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've got the original Studio CC center, which I think weighs less. Either way, I used to have it on top of my RPTV and I didn't like it. It sounded kind of like you'd expect: Like the sound was shooting over your head. Voices sounded artificially high up. This all makes sense of course.

Instead, I put the center on a "stand" on the ground, with the top of the speaker roughly in line with the bottom of the picture. I angled it up a bit to try to shoot more at the listener's ears. The sound is much improved and isn't distracting like it was before.

I've seen a variety of center channel stands on the market, but haven't used any. Mine is improvised and ugly, though I may make something custom eventually.

Brian.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Paul, rather than get the new Mits - get a PJ and mount that nice heavy CC on a stand.;)

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Paul, I hate to torpedo your idea, but copper pipe isn't very strong. I think the TV mount is the better idea.

Also, the under-TV position isn't bad. That's where mine is, and I don't have any imaging problem.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blgentry
I've got the original Studio CC center, which I think weighs less. Either way, I used to have it on top of my RPTV and I didn't like it. It sounded kind of like you'd expect: Like the sound was shooting over your head. Voices sounded artificially high up. This all makes sense of course.

Instead, I put the center on a "stand" on the ground, with the top of the speaker roughly in line with the bottom of the picture. I angled it up a bit to try to shoot more at the listener's ears. The sound is much improved and isn't distracting like it was before.

I've seen a variety of center channel stands on the market, but haven't used any. Mine is improvised and ugly, though I may make something custom eventually.

Brian.
While I have no doubt that the center channel probably sounds better right in front of the TV and below on a stand, me or my GF would never go that route because it looks ridiculous. I always thought a center channel on a stand on the floor in front of the screen looks pretty stupid. I can give up a little sound quality in this area to have my center channel on top of the TV. The last thing I need is for a small child or company to trip over my center channel which is sitting in the middle of the floor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes - it is heavy but the sound is perfection....

My 570 is sitting on top of my Sammy 507 DPL. I see no distortion or sway in the plastic housing whatsoever after 3 months. I use a MDF board painted black cut to the same width as the bottom of this beast. The back end rests on a two inch cleat of MDF screwed into the studs in the wall. The cleat is painted the same color as the wall and is not noticed. Used a router on the edges for a smoother look. The board is cut long enough for 3 to 4 inches of clearance behind the TV a simply rests on the back plastic of the cabinet. Felt furniture leg floor protectors under the MDF isolate the cabinet and build it to the exact level height. The weight is distributed between the wall and the TV in a wide enough area. I was nervous about how to do this as well but I am totally happy with this solution.

I didn't want the speaker low and have no room under my TV. I don't have a feeling of sound shooting over my head. Maybe the V3 has better imaging? There would be a lot of sound /understandably/ from my better half if I tried to put it in front on the floor.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
As far as the sound coming from the center channel going over one's head, try putting a couple of rubber doorstops under the back of the speaker when it is mounted on top of your TV. The doorstops are sloped and will aim your speaker downward towards your listening position. I do this with my Paradigm Studio CC and it helps. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
me or my GF would never go that route because it looks ridiculous.
Quote:
a center channel on a stand on the floor in front of the screen looks pretty stupid.
Quote:
The last thing I need is for a small child or company to trip over my center channel which is sitting in the middle of the floor.
Other than asking why would you have a center channel in the middle of a room,

I guess you're not coming over for Xmas this year? :D

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Yosh70-111_1103.JPG

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have mine on a stand that has the front top edge of the speaker sitting right at the lip of the tv frame. I use the door stops to angle it up at the listening area. Sound is awesome.

Here's a pick of my setup before I changed out the receiver/amp/monster HTS5000mkII. Gives you an idea of the front speaker placement.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/503/16325HT.jpg

Kevin

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blkout
I always thought a center channel on a stand on the floor in front of the screen looks pretty stupid.
Are you sure? My Paradigm C5 doesn't looks "stupid" here... And this configuration won the "WAF seal of approval"... :D

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2763805-md.jpg

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Having the center channel right in front of the TV just draws your eyes too it. Anything that makes the speaker location known is a bad thing. You are supposed to hear the sound from the speaker without exactly pinpointing the speakers itself. I'm not saying with a pitch black room that you can't get away with it but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice in speaker location. If you have a VERY large screen, you have no choice so that's understandable.

And if the wife approves, you've really accomplished something...... LOL!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.