AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting Paradigm Studio 60’s front left and right.

Paradigm Studio CC 690 Center.

(4) Studio ADP 590 Surrounds.

What do you guys think?

Do you own them?? If so, what did you have before the Studios??

I have been looking for a while now at speakers and the Paradigms seem to appeal to my hearing tastes.

They cost a bit more than I wanted to spend, but speakers will be the core of my system and I don’t want to have to upgrade for a while… if ever.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Seems like a good combo. What receiver/amp will be driving these speakers?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have studio 60's and a cc690. They are really good speakers. Great bass extension, very detailed and a good soundstage. A good amplifier is important. The sensitivity is high at 91db, but good clean power will give you so much more. The 60's can be bi-amped which I recommend unless you've got an amp that has good 4ohm capabilities. If you are using a receiver, bi-amping is a must. I don't have ADP surrounds. I got the atoms for cost reasons.

I had a free bose 3-2-1 piece of sh!t before, so it wasn't hard to beat them. But I will tell you that compared to a lot of other speakers I've heard, the studio line is very transparent. It plays what you give it, and will let you know if your equipment/source material is good or not. Again, they are very revealing speakers.

What sub were you planning on using or purchasing? Is this your first major purchase?

Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk /forum/post/15501804

Seems like a good combo. What receiver/amp will be driving these speakers?

Well, I have been looking at the Denon 2809. Eventually, I'd like to run an Outlaw amp with it.

My display device right now is a projector that I use from work.

I have simply just converted my daughters 16.5x12 bedroom into a hometheater.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/15501835

I have studio 60's and a cc690. They are really good speakers. Great bass extension, very detailed and a good soundstage. A good amplifier is important. The sensitivity is high at 91db, but good clean power will give you so much more. The 60's can be bi-amped which I recommend unless you've got an amp that has good 4ohm capabilities. If you are using a receiver, bi-amping is a must. I don't have ADP surrounds. I got the atoms for cost reasons.

I had a free bose 3-2-1 piece of sh!t before, so it wasn't hard to beat them. But I will tell you that compared to a lot of other speakers I've heard, the studio line is very transparent. It plays what you give it, and will let you know if your equipment/source material is good or not. Again, they are very revealing speakers.

What sub were you planning on using or purchasing? Is this your first major purchase?

Good luck

Wel, what do you think of driving them with a Denon 2809?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/15501835

Sorry to bring this OT, but what is this bi-amping you keep talking of when all you have is a receiver? Just wondering.....

Edit: Ok, I see what you're doing.....assigning the surround back to the l/r fronts as you dont have 7.1.

But I'm not sure why you keep pushing this, do you believe you're gaining something?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT.1 /forum/post/15502181

It should be fine as long as you bi-amp the fronts. They need the headroom. Denon is pretty honest about their power ratings.

What sub(s) are you looking at?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT.1 /forum/post/15502181

I used to have Denon but I'm a pretty die-hard Marantz fan now. The sound from my Studio's seemed more pleasing to my ears. This is, of course, just my opinion but I'm seeing a lot more Paradigm owners saying the same.

Power wise you should be ok (115W x 7) but I guess it all depends on how loud you like to listen to it.

Knowing what I know now, I would pick a receiver that does what I want (and no more) and get a separate amplifier to drive at least the 2 fronts if not the front 3. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 /forum/post/15502508

Sorry to bring this OT, but what is this bi-amping you keep talking of when all you have is a receiver? Just wondering.....

Bi-amping is using 2 amplifing channels to power one speaker. The studio 60's have 2 pairs of binding posts. If you own a receiver or pre/pro with 7.1 channels, and you are only using a 5.1 setup, then you can use the two unused channels to add additional power to the fronts(mains). Gives extra headroom for 2 channel music and movie special effects. Almost all receivers and pre/pros give you this option. If your amp is powerful enough to handle your speakers, then its not necessary.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Yosh70;15502568 Power wise you should be ok (115W x 7) but I guess it all depends on how loud you like to listen to it. Knowing what I know now said:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/15502714

Bi-amping is using 2 amplifing channels to power one speaker. The studio 60's have 2 pairs of binding posts. If you own a receiver or pre/pro with 7.1 channels, and you are only using a 5.1 setup, then you can use the two unused channels to add additional power to the fronts(mains). Gives extra headroom for 2 channel music and movie special effects. Almost all receivers and pre/pros give you this option. If your amp is powerful enough to handle your speakers, then its not necessary.

Ok, so I kinda already know what bi-amping is, just seeing what you thought it was.

Properly bi-amping is two separate amplifiers feeding into speakers with active crossovers....neither of which you have. Even then, the differences would be subtle. I bet if you did a DBT with your system bi-amped vs connecting the speakers with the bridges intact, you would fail.

If you feel your Pioneer Elite is not enough to properly drive a pair of Studio 60's, then getting a separate amplifier is the only way to go.

That is what you should be pushing, not bi-amping.

EDIT: Before spending $$$ on that though, the #1 benefit you can make to your system is room treatment.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 /forum/post/15502927

Ok, so I kinda already know what bi-amping is, just seeing what you thought it was.

Properly bi-amping is two separate amplifiers feeding into speakers with active crossovers....neither of which you have. Even then, the differences would be subtle. I bet if you did a DBT with your system bi-amped vs connecting the speakers with the bridges intact, you would fail.

If you feel your Pioneer Elite is not enough to properly drive a pair of Studio 60's, then getting a separate amplifier is the only way to go.

That is what you should be pushing, not bi-amping.

EDIT: Before spending $$$ on that though, the #1 benefit you can make to your system is room treatment.

I started my setup without bi-amping my towers, but when I ran them full range for two channel audio without a sub, the bass was weak and muddled. When I added the extra channel from my receiver, it tightened up a lot. But hey, you must know my system more than I do. That's why you give me your internet degree in audio lecture....right?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
No options for room treatments until I buy my house later this year and build a dedicated room. I can't wait to do it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/15503109

I started my setup without bi-amping my towers, but when I ran them full range for two channel audio without a sub, the bass was weak and muddled. When I added the extra channel from my receiver, it tightened up a lot. But hey, you must know my system more than I do. That's why you give me your internet degree in audio lecture....right?

I guess I can see there might be a slight audible difference by just running 2 channel. Too bad we're talking about HT as in 5.1.

My v2 Studio 60's were never weak or muddled, but then again, they were always set as small with the x-over set at 80hz letting the sub do what it does best.

But hey, that was years ago, why am I telling you this? You already know everything.

Sorry to the OP for the derailment, this will be my last post on this subject.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not to be rude, but you're not bi-amping your speakers, you're bi-wiring them. Bi-amping meand two seperate amps. Bi-wiring means using the extra binding posts from your receiver. Bi-amping has real benefits. Bi-wiring, the argument goes on though most say it's useless.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 /forum/post/15505856

Not to be rude, but you're not bi-amping your speakers, you're bi-wiring them. Bi-amping meand two seperate amps. Bi-wiring means using the extra binding posts from your receiver. Bi-amping has real benefits. Bi-wiring, the argument goes on though most say it's useless.

No he is bi amping them. Im not sure if it is making a difference but he is using the A & B channels of his 7.1 receiver to power his fronts.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/15502714

How much more power would you be adding to a speaker if you were using a 7 channel 100 wat receiver?

·
Registered
816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 /forum/post/15506657

How much more power would you be adding to a speaker if you were using a 7 channel 100 wat receiver?

Good question. One would think that you would be sending 200 watts to each front speaker but it would all depend on rated power of the receiver with all channels driven.

My question is when you remove the jumper from the speaker and add power the speaker with two different amp channels does it bypass the speakers internal crossover? On my Klipsch RF-3s it would appear that the top terminals are for the horn and the lower is for the two 8's. If I chose to truly bi-amp these would I need some sort of active crossover?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 /forum/post/15502508

But I'm not sure why you keep pushing this, do you believe you're gaining something?

What you're gaining is having the high and low inputs of the speaker driven by separate amp sections. The benefit is that if you drive the low section amp into clipping the high section of the speaker won't be harmed because chances are that it's amp section won't ever be clipping.

For me it wasn't a matter of getting any better sound. It was the fact that I only have a 5.1 speaker set up but a 7 channel receiver.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuudo07 /forum/post/15502563

it should be fine as long as you bi-amp the fronts. They need the headroom. Denon is pretty honest about their power ratings.

What sub(s) are you looking at?

svs

1 - 20 of 50 Posts