AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions for which sub to go with. It will be used with Paradigm Studio 100's, CC590 center and 590 di-pole surrounds. I like solid, tight bass, and a good amount of it. A lot of use will be for music of all types, jazz to metal. It seems some like a smaller diameter as they respond quicker but do not have as deep and volume of output compared to a similar larger driver. I listened to the 12 and it sounded very good. Have not been able to demo a 15. Any thoughts on my decision? I would like to stay with Paradigm for aesthetics in matching the front and center but not absolutely necessary. I like the sound of a sealed enclosure, many ported sound very boomy for my taste.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same assumptions on size vs quality. after reading several reviews, I found a dsp-3400 (14")at an excellent price and tried it out against my inferior ps1200 (12"). the development years have been good for large driver subs. there no longer seems to be that tradeoff, at least to the degree that there once was. the DSP3400 sounds dramatically better across the board. I never knew subsonic made such a difference. since you already have the excellent studio 100's, I wish I had your problelm...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen9010 /forum/post/18127502

I am looking for opinions for which sub to go with. It will be used with Paradigm Studio 100's, CC590 center and 590 di-pole surrounds. I like solid, tight bass, and a good amount of it. A lot of use will be for music of all types, jazz to metal. It seems some like a smaller diameter as they respond quicker but do not have as deep and volume of output compared to a similar larger driver. I listened to the 12 and it sounded very good. Have not been able to demo a 15. Any thoughts on my decision? I would like to stay with Paradigm for aesthetics in matching the front and center but not absolutely necessary. I like the sound of a sealed enclosure, many ported sound very boomy for my taste.

the 15 will dig deeper and is quick as heck.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Easy... Given you have the budget, take the Sub 15. When comparing similar/identical sub designs, always take the larger encloser and larger driver. Size does matter!!!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC /forum/post/18129784

Easy... Given you have the budget, take the Sub 15. When comparing similar/identical sub designs, always take the larger encloser and larger driver. Size does matter!!!

now that just makes sense

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My girlfriend says the same thing..
..hmmmm I wonder if she is talking about subwoofers?????????????

I really liked the sound and speed of the 12, if the 15 is just as quick, I may have to go with the 15. Now, if I can only find somewhere to hear it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.