AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, which is truly a better "performing" subwoofer? I have always had a lot of respect for Paradigm and still have a pair of there original Espirit front speakers that still look and sound great. My PS-1200 is in for repair now for the amp not turning on and I am open to possibly purchasing a SVS subwoofer soley on what I've read in this forum. I want the biggest bang for the buck and don't want reliability issues. So, what's your 2 cents worth?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
There isn't going to be a right answer. Both are very well designed and reviewed subs. I am a bit of a Paradigm homer because they are so well built and sound so great and have had nothing but good luck with them so I have stuck with their line of products. I recently upgraded from a Paradigm Servo 15 to a Sub 15. The Servo 15 had 0 problems in 10 years and I just think Paradigms are built very well and are meant to last. That being said the SVS Ultra 13 is ported and will go down deeper for HT. The Sub 12 is sealed and won't go quite as low. I have never owned an SVS product but by all accounts they are built very well and have great customer service. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either sub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also wondering about the difference between the Paradigm Sub12 and the HSU ULS-15 as they seems to becoming my finalists ... still waiting for shipping cost info on the SVS subwoofers though so maybe SVS PB12-Plus will be up there also but it seems that it is bigger than the Paradigm and HSU subwoofer I'm looking into though. I live in Iceland so shipping cost is very high.

Paradigm subwoofer has 12 inch woofer (more power though?) but the ULS-15 have 15 inch... so my debate is if the 12 inch is enough or 15 inch is for me.

I mostly listen to music and it is mostly classical music, I listen much to pipe organ music and symphonies in scale of Mahler.
Movies are maybe about 30% of my listening time.

I've read that the 15 inch woofer is slower than the 12 inch, that is probably true but do you notice it in listening? Of course (?) the 15 inch goes deeper than the 12 inch but I'm wondering if the higher power on the SUB12 allows it to be in similar range as the ULS-15 ?

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I am a dual Sub 12 owner...

To the op, I would suggest going for the PB13 if you are mostly HT and can accommodate for its size. Extension and output for the win.

As far as the HSU, if I was in the US, I would have likely chosen a ULS-15 dual drive over my dual Sub 12's. HSU's Canadian quotes are ridiculous! I like the 15" driver, wireless option, and greater extension capabilities of the HSU. I'm mostly HT though...

·
Registered
10 Posts
BRAC, are you talking about the shipping quotes or is the subwoofer itself priced differently in Canada?

How do you like your SUB12? I would only be able to afford one SUB12 for now, would you think it would be powerful enough to drive some biggest pipe organ works to level where you can feel the music in your bones not just in your ears?
I'm a guy so of course I like movie's with explosion and big sound effects etc. hehe...

One of the plus for the Paradigm is that they have a dealer here in Iceland so I would probably not need to pay shipping if something breaks while under warranty, but they are still more expensive to buy - at least in start.

Doubt though that I will need it as these products are great quality, at least by reading online, but you never know.

Decisions, decisions... hehehe...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich /forum/post/18308613

There isn't going to be a right answer. Both are very well designed and reviewed subs. I am a bit of a Paradigm homer because they are so well built and sound so great and have had nothing but good luck with them so I have stuck with their line of products. I recently upgraded from a Paradigm Servo 15 to a Sub 15. The Servo 15 had 0 problems in 10 years and I just think Paradigms are built very well and are meant to last. That being said the SVS Ultra 13 is ported and will go down deeper for HT. The Sub 12 is sealed and won't go quite as low. I have never owned an SVS product but by all accounts they are built very well and have great customer service. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either sub.

I listen to music and HT movies almost 50/50 and my room is approx 27x17x7 and it will be placed on a concrete floor with berber carpet. I do have room so size isn't a problem for us. I do like the fact that the SVS is a bit more flexible in that you can choose to open or close the ports but I also like the fact that Paradigm does most everything in house ( the amp) so if there is a problem hopefully it gets rectified quickly. I can also get a deal on the Sub 12 for around $1,500. or a bit less and that makes it a challenge for the SVS because it's a brand I'm not that familiar with that may cost a bit more this time around. Does SVS ever negotiate there prices?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18308807

^^^^^

What he said. Though "biggest bang for the buck" lends itself to Internet Direct subs pretty much every single time.

Well......., I can strike a deal on the PDM so it does make things a bit interesting. If it weren't for that I wouldn't even be considering the PDM this time and would take a chance on the SVS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to this forum and am admittingly not a sound, speaker, or subwoofer genius. I joined the forum as I was thinking about purchasing an SVS PB-12 Plus subwoofer.

I had an opportunity to hearonce in action at a friends house. It truly was amazing!! I have done some research since being intrigued by the subwoofer.

THe march version of Sound and Vision magazine gives the SVS subwoofer the prize for bext performance It tied with two other woofers but was 1/2 nd 2/3 the price of the competitors.

$1149 seems fair compared to others.

Anyone have input? From my research the "biggest bang for he buck" definitely seems to be the SVS subwoofer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find it interesting that there seems to be less interest (and reviews) in Paradigm subwoofers than other brands like SVS, HSU etc. - is it because they are worse or just out people's price range?

I'm really thinking about buying Paradigm SUB12 specially because there is a local dealer here, puts me little off though that he doesn't have demo room and said that you don't need to listen to subwoofers they are just bass.

Does it goes as deep (16 Hz) as Paradigm says?

The price for SUB12 is $2.692 but for example the HSU ULS-15 would cost me $2.328 with all customs and taxes, yes they are very high in Iceland!

Still waiting for the SVS shipping quote, btw. the delay is not SVS fault.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts