AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still debating between (dipoles) ADP370's vs. (direct) Mini-Monitors for a 5.1 setup in my great room Will mostly be home theater oriented. My room is large 22x16x18 high, and I finally have a picture of the back wall here ftp://magieeye:[email protected]/DSCN0104.JPG The speaker position will be where the faceplates are on the back wall. I have Monitor 7's up front with the cc-370 center, ( ftp://magieeye:[email protected]/DSCN0100.JPG and plan to add a servo 15 as well. Those that have ADP's, does this room look like it would be receptive to dipoles? All opinions are welcome. Thanks for the help.

side wall one
ftp://magieeye:[email protected]/DSCN0102.JPG

side wall two
ftp://magieeye:[email protected]/DSCN0103.JPG

Sorry, I don't know how to make the Jpegs smaller!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Why not try for yourself? I'm sure your Paradigm dealer will let you borrow the speakers for home audition. That way you can see how the speakers actually sound in your room with your electronics.

Personally, I'm more partial to direct firing speakers. I just prefer the more precise imaging that those speakers give you compared to dipoles. And if you ever plan to venture into multichannel music, the difference is much more obvious. The ADPs are fine speakers, but I'm not a fan of that diffused dipolar effect. To me, dipoles are a relic that dates back to the Pro Logic era, and not really necessary with 5.1 and 6.1 soundtracks.

The thing to keep in mind is that the positioning is vital, especially with the direct firing speakers.

A good starting point is to elevate the surrounds above ear level (Dolby recommends at least three feet above ear level; I've seen others recommend one foot), offset at 110 degrees (this would be slightly behind the listening position), and point the speaker at one another to give a little bit of diffusion. If the speakers are not equidistant from one another, you'll also need to adjust the delay timing so that the sound arrives at the listening position at roughly the same time (the rule of thumb is 1 ms delay for every foot that the surrounds are closer to the listening position than the mains; typical default value is 5 ms and any value you use would add or subtract from that default timing).

·
Registered
339 Posts
macd,

Have you checked the Paradigm on-wall Mini-monitors?

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...or_Series.html

I personally think these would suit your back wall better. You don't have a lot of space back there and your dipoles would face the side wall and that does weird things to audio waves. I don't know, I would give these a try (as well as dipoles) and stick with what sounds better.

Woochifer is right, your local Paradigm dealer should not have any problem letting you take the speakers home and try them both.

good luck,

Jorge

·
Registered
663 Posts
my room is almost exactly like yours - same vault, same open space, same surround placement, same brand speakers. i'm using direct firing speakers, and have no complaints. when i upgrade the surrounds to match the mains, i'll stick with direct firing.

i've got a servo-15, and while it does have enough kick to fill this huge amount of space, it really needs a BFD to flatten peaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.