AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current system is 4 Paradigm Atoms (front and rear), a CC-170 center and a PW-2200 sub. This is a 100% HT only system, NO music listening at all. I'm considering upgrading the front 3 speakers to a Studio Center and Studio 20's.

For budget reasons, I may be have to upgrade the center now and wait on the L/R, so I'd have a Studio Center with Atoms L/R. Has anyone run such a combination, or have any thoughts on this? I know it's an obvious mismatch, but since HT sound is so heavily center channel focused, I'm wondering if the greatly improved center channel would be worth the mismatch?

Also, given that this is a HT only system, maybe I would be fine just going to a CC-370 and Mini-minitors?

My dilema is this: trading in the CC-170, a CC-370 upgrade will be $150 and a Studio Center upgrade is $250. I'd much rather have the better center and the cost isn't enough difference to matter. BUT, to match the front L/R's, upgrading from Atoms to Mini's will run me $150 (again, no big deal), but Atoms to Studio 20's will run me $400-450, which is significant enough to think about.

I'm leaning towards the $700 upgrade to Studio Center and Studio 20's, but I'd love to hear some thoughts/advice from the group.

Thanks,

Richard Stern

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am moving from this setup:

Mains----7semk3

center---CC300

rear------mini-monitors

Sub-------PS-1000

to:

Mains-----Studio 100

center----Studio CC

rear-------Studio 20

Sub--------Servo-15

I currently have all the speakers in except the studio 100's. What I've done is put the 20's and Studio CC accross the front. I've swaped out the Sub. On all accounts there is no contest with the studio line. If I had to pick the LEAST significant improvement, I would say it's the Studio CC from the CC300. While very noticable, it offers less of an improvement than the other upgrades. It is clearer on the dialog by a good bit. I just believe the other speakers are improved by a larger margin.

The Subs aren't even comparable. There's bass I didn't know about with the PS-1000. It's also MUCH cleaner and tighter. The difference between the 7's and the Studio 20's is night and day also. The 20's are more like a bird singing in your room vs. the 7semk3's sounding like a recording of the same bird.

I would vote upgrade the front three together. If I had to choose which upgrade first, I would get the 20's, and then the center to match. Don't consider the Mini-monitors if you already have a route to the Studio 20's. Beg on a street corner for the extra cash if you have too :D This statement comes from a guy who purchased 4 mini-monitors less than 2 years ago along with a second PS-1000 sub. I would have been much better off getting one pair of Studio 20's and getting by with one sub. Now I have 4 Mini-monitors and 2 PS-1000 subs gathering dust. The studio 20's should be in your setup for many years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I did it.

I traded in my 2 front Atoms and CC-170 center, and got a Studio CC and 2 Studio 20's. My dealer gave me a great deal, $590 for the upgrade.

WOW, what a difference !!! The Studio speakers are incredible.

Thanks for your advice.

Richard

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am in a very similar boat. I currently have a pair of Titans up front, Atoms in rear, CC-170 and PDR-10. I am looking to upgrade across the fronts, and have been debating Mini-Monitors/CC-370 vs. Studio 20's/Studio CC. This is making me lean to the Studios, especially if I can do it for the same price range. Most of my use is HT (maybe 5-10% music). My question: how much should I be thinking about upgrading the rears and sub? Logistically and aesthetically, I don't think it want/can accommodate something much bigger than the Atoms in the rear (side wall mounted in a room with about an 8 foot drop ceiling). I have been generally pleased with the PDR-10, but confess to not having a lot of listening experience with other subs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
757 Posts
the paradigm lines are quite simple. the more you spend across their lines (performance>monitor>reference), the better sound you will receive.

Richard Stern,

your most significant improvement will come with the cc370. the studio cc is better than the cc370 (of course), but not by as much as the cc370 is better than the cc170. check out audioreview.com for non-forum related reviews of products (usually unbiased). other than that, it just comes down to your preference. the keyword to stay away from is mismatch - IMHO.

you cant make a bad choice between the monitor series and the reference series. some paradigm users prefer monitors over reference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by trickd
I am in a very similar boat. I currently have a pair of Titans up front, Atoms in rear, CC-170 and PDR-10. I am looking to upgrade across the fronts, and have been debating Mini-Monitors/CC-370 vs. Studio 20's/Studio CC. This is making me lean to the Studios, especially if I can do it for the same price range. Most of my use is HT (maybe 5-10% music). My question: how much should I be thinking about upgrading the rears and sub? Logistically and aesthetically, I don't think it want/can accommodate something much bigger than the Atoms in the rear (side wall mounted in a room with about an 8 foot drop ceiling). I have been generally pleased with the PDR-10, but confess to not having a lot of listening experience with other subs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You'll see a HUGE difference going from CC-170 to CC-370, and then probably less going from there to a Studio CC. The price difference from CC-370 to Studio CC is not much, but the matching front upgrade from Mini's to Studio 20's is big $. So that's a factor to consider. I just decided that if I'm going to upgrade, I'm going to the best center Paradigm makes, with Studio 20's to match, and the shop made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

I would expect to pay $650-750 to upgrade from Titans/170 to the Studio stuff, but that will depend on your dealer of course.

I left my Atoms in the rear, so obviously I think they're fine.

As for sub, I bought a PW-2200 when I got my 4 Atoms/CC-170, since I wanted a GOOD sub, and I don't regret it. With a sub like the 2200, I leave my speaker setting to small (even with the Studio 20's), and let it handle everything at 80Hz and below. You would notice a BIG difference going from a PDR-10 to something like the PW-2200, an HSU VTF-2 or VTF-3, or an SVS sub. For HT, a good sub is essential.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Richard

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey guys, I am building my HT as we speak(err. type) but I was going to go with

Monitor 11 (fronts)

cc-370 (center)

adp-370(surronds)

adp-370(rears)

subwoofer(pw-2200)

Should I go with this setup or would it be beneficial to go with the studio line, my break down will be:

40% gaming

40% dvd and dvhs

10% tv

10% music

How much difference in costs are we talking to go from this setup to a full studio setup.

I have awhile to audition them because I am still digging out my basement, the room will be 16' wide by 26' long and 8' high.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have a similar set up as some of the above posts....

I have the following:

Mini-monitors (fronts)

CC-370 (center)

Atoms (surrounds)

I used to have the PDR-10 and went to an SVS 20-39PC+

The sub upgrade was the missing link in my system for sure...I have listened to other speakers costing much more than my set up and mine is a par with most of them for HT use for sure. I've listened to the reference line and thought they sounded great but really not a huge improvement over my current set up especially with the SVS in the mix. I really think more people should put some good $$$ into their sub and see what a big difference that makes in any system.

My next upgrade will be for a seperate amp before I get into any more expensive speakers....I think a stronger cleaner power supply would be a better option and also a better use of my cash.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J. Reed

Monitor 11 (fronts)

cc-370 (center)

adp-370(surronds)

adp-370(rears)

subwoofer(pw-2200)

Should I go with this setup or would it be beneficial to go with the studio line, my break down will be:

40% gaming

40% dvd and dvhs

10% tv

10% music

How much difference in costs are we talking to go from this setup to a full studio setup.

I have awhile to audition them because I am still digging out my basement, the room will be 16' wide by 26' long and 8' high.
From what I know, bare with me its been awhile since i've seen the prices. But you should be able to swap those 11's for Studio 40's, I believe their about the same price. The CC370 will be a $100 less than a Studio CC, and the ADP 370's if you wanted to could be swapped for Studio 20's. Which if you have a 7.1 which it sounds like you do, you should look into 20's for the surrounds.

All prices are guesstimates from the last time I was in a B&M. So nothing is set in stone here.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J. Reed

Monitor 11 (fronts)

cc-370 (center)

adp-370(surronds)

adp-370(rears)

subwoofer(pw-2200)

40% gaming

40% dvd and dvhs

10% tv

10% music

I ended up with a Monitor 7 CC370 combo because of cost constraints but if I were in a position to afford Monitor 11 I would have for sure gone for Studio 40s and Studio center. To me the 11s just sond like MORE of the monitor sound. They have more bass and more impact but the "sound quality" was not better to me than the 7s. the 40s WERE much better sounding. Since you will have the PW2200 to handle the bass i'd go studion.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
859 Posts
J Reed> If you decide to go with studios... the price of the speaker setup not only goes up by 2x (maybe more). But you'll be needing to shell out for better amplification as well. And that just amplified your setup by quite a bit.

If there is one thing i can do as a suggestion...

bump your fronts down to a monitor 9 or 7 - THEY WILL BE MORE THAN GOOD ENOUGH.

the subs.. you can stay with the pw2200.. or you can bump down to a ps1200. It will do a 'more than good enough' job.

And for the surround rears.. a Mini Monitor or a Monitor 3 will be the more appropriate for the setup. You get the advantage of both dispersed and localized surround effects this way.

and a denon 2803 or a marantz 6300 or hk or onkyo for your av receiver. from the looks of it, your first priority is gaming, then dvd, lastly music. In my opinion.... my setup's more 'sensible' for what you need.

Unless ofcourse, you are willing to spend all that extra cash on your speakers. Just keep in mind that you'll need to give the the studios the loving they deserve (ie amplification) if you decide to go to that setup.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stereomadman, Jamiesapp, and greatbop, thanks alot

Greatbop so if I were to go with the monitor 11 setup that I posted would I need separate(sp?) amplification, or would my receiver be fine, I plan on getting the HK avr-525.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yes, it would be ok to use avr 525.

but as some of those guys said.. is it worth shelling out extra for the monitor 11s?

they sound THE SAME as the other speakers. except that they can go lower. - that's it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.