AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before (I have searched already). I'm trying to decide between the following two options:

- Paradigm Studio 60 (wood)/CC/ADP/PWS200

- Diva 6.1/C3/R3/HTF2

I have a 61" RPTV, Yamaha VSX3200 and Kenwood 5700 DVD. As I live in Canada, the two options are roughly the same price (Divas are a bit more). Usage is 80% home theatre. Room is 14x24 with 8 foot ceilings (TV on the short wall). The surround speakers must be mounted at the top 18 inches of the wall since one wall will have a window below the surround speaker.

My concerns and questions are:

- Will the Paradigm's be fatiguing and will the Yamaha's warmer sound help to compensate for this?

- Will the high surround mounting position work better with one of these two speakers ?

I'm leaning towards the Paradigms because I can just go and buy them (and they are a bit smaller). Could someone set my 'fatigue' fears to rest? Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have Paradigm Monitor speakers, which I feel are a little brighter than the Studio line. For about 2 years I drove them with a Yamaha RX-V596 receiver and never suffered from listening fatigue. I am now drivng them with a Sherbourn 5/1500A amp and Sherwood-Newcastle AVP-9080, also a somewhat 'bright' combination, but I still haven't noticed any pain. :)

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to try them yourself. So see if the store will let you do an in-home demo or make sure thay have a good return policy.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Simon,

I have the same Paradigm Studio configuration (only exception being a Servo-15 sub) which I have run on a Yamaha RX-V3000 for about 18 months. I am extremely pleased with this combination.

I did start out with the PW-2200 sub, which while very loud and sounded good for HT, I did not like for music. It is also rear ported and I found it was difficult to place. I upgraded to the Servo-15 after a week, fanstastic sub for both music and HT.

I never did find this combination "bright" or fatiguing, but 10 days ago I added a Bryston external amp (313W/channel) for the two main channels. Huge improvement and much warmer sound.

Bottom line, I think you'd be happy with the Studios, and in future if you ever upgrade to a more powerful amp you will really love the Studio 60's for music. I've never heard the Divas so can't comment on them, but you might want to consider buying the Paradigms and spending the money you save (you said the Paradigms cost less than the Divas) on a better sub.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Simon,

I've listened to the Paradigm Studios a lot, and they sound very good, but if you get the Divas, you get free membership into the Church. That's gotta be worth something. That and the secret handshake.

Seriously, the Divas sound terrific, with that super smooth silk dome tweeter and dedicated midrange. The bass is very tight and fast. No muddiness like many speakers out there. They may be in stock now for a change, and it should only take a week to get them to you. They are well worth a little wait.

Good Luck whatever you decide,

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven't heard the Diva's so I cannot comment on them. I would, however, recommend that you at least consider the Studio 100s in laminate vs. the Studio 60s in wood as I believe the 100s offer better sound (both in the midrange and bass) and I believe they are relatively close in price.

The reasons that I can think of not to go with the 100s would be:

- Not enough power (I'm not familiar with the Yamaha VSX3200, but Paradigm recommends at least 200wpc for the 100s).

- There just too big.

- You're really set on a wood veneer.

Just something to think about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.