AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post, but I have read many of yours in the last few days.

I had the opportunity to audition Monitors 9 v5, and they sounded nice, but they didn't make me go "humm" Really sweet deal, demos, all V5: Monitors 9, cc290, adp-390 plus brand new dsp-3100 all for 1850 plus tax.

I almost pulled the trigger but I decided to check the B&W 864, they sounded completely different than the Paradigms, at the store they played, same cd, same amp, but the 684 where right in front of me at about 8 feet and separate by about 10 feet, the Paradigm 7 (they didnt have 9) where more far apart than these, at about 15 feet, and I'm still siting at about 8 feet.

The 684 sounded much much better to my ears; more bass, more treble.

B&W 684, 686 rear and htm-61 all for 1900, no sub.

Paradigms 9, cc290, adp-390 all store demo, with new dsp-3100 sub 1850.

Love the midrange on Paradigms, love the highs and lows on B&Ws.

Did the B&W sounded better because they were closer together? maybe the sellman have them somehow unfairlly set? Is the Paradigms such a good deal I should take it? is it good to buy demos?c or better off with new ones?

Should I try other brands like Kef? This is for 90% movies and 10%music Pink Floyd is my favorite to listen to.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It's great to buy demo's, it's better to get what sounds best to you at your price point regardless of whether it is a "deal." You should audition more and KEF, Dali, PSB and Revel would be very good choices.

No need to buy a matching subwoofer btw.

Ron

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
P.S. If it were my money I would consider stepping up to B&Ws CM5s or Paradigms Studio 20s rather than the floorstanding speakers from the lower lines.

Assuming a subwoofer, of course.

Ron

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ronaldo, thank you for the quick response

So you mean, studio 20 with sub, better than monitor 9 with sub?

I have an onkyo nr906, it is. 7.1 145watts per channel; when I watch movies I only liste to about -25db volume and concerts at about -9db, its more than enough to my taste.

I was recommended to forget 7.1 because my Couch is on the back wall( surround. And rears where on the same wall, floor and close to ceiling) so by going to 5.1 I can biamp the front. I rather quallity than loudness. But my room is 15 x 25 and I seat all 25 feet away from the TV.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, just listend to PSB 6T, B5, C5 and 5I sub all for $2023 plus tax.

or Demos: Totem Sttaf (999), Mite T C(375) matching Mite rears (475) with PSB 5I (500.00 this one is new) for 2325. Dont know anything about Totem, but they sounded really nice and it looks like a good deal?

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo2k /forum/post/18284385

OK, just listend to PSB 6T, B5, C5 and 5I sub all for $2023 plus tax.

or Demos: Totem Sttaf (999), Mite T C(375) matching Mite rears (475) with PSB 5I (500.00 this one is new) for 2325. Dont know anything about Totem, but they sounded really nice and it looks like a good deal?

Pablo, I am in kinda in the same delema. I was orginally going to get the Paradigm Monitor9 but they do sound brighter then the B&W 683 I heard. I like the 683 better. I will be matching it up with a HSU VTF2- MK3 Sub. Already have that coming. The Totems are nice as well as they don't require you to have them facing right at you and were impressive, but overall I liked the 683 better then everything else I heard so far. I don't want to even listen to the Studio or CM9. That would be dropping alot of cash. Compared to the Monitor or 600 series.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi!, I listen to Studio 60s, and they where much better than the Monitor 9s but the sound they produce, to my ears, was not as good as B&W 683. Some pleople love Paradigms, I was really tring to give them a chance, but the hurt "my ears" I had a chance to listen to the B&W 800! wow... can't describe sound, but it was amazing... and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league. But at least now, I know wich way I want to go.

The Totem sounded really nice, can't believe the sound coming out of those little towers. But is it a good deal???

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo2k /forum/post/18285311

Hi!, I listen to Studio 60s, and they where much better than the Monitor 9s but the sound they produce, to my ears, was not as good as B&W 683. Some pleople love Paradigms, I was really tring to give them a chance, but the hurt "my ears" I had a chance to listen to the B&W 800! wow... can't describe sound, but it was amazing... and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league. But at least now, I know wich way I want to go.

The Totem sounded really nice, can't believe the sound coming out of those little towers. But is it a good deal???

I would choose between Studio 60 and 683, as they are at the same league. Do not look at 684, better buy three pairs of 685 (third pair for front and rear center making it 6.1 setup, as HTM center from B&W is not good at all) and a good sub.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I made my decision, After going back and forth with my two top choices, Totem Sttaf and B&W 684, I purchased the ..... Six Eight Four!

To my ears, after auditioning Paradigms Monitors and Studios, PSB Image and Totems, I liked the B&W the best. So thank you for all your help!

My new set up is: 684 in front, 686 rears, and HTM-61 center.

Next, a sub, leaning towards Paradigms or REL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts